Backyard Birding

SoTier

I put up a pole with a seed feeder on one hook, and a hummingbird feeder on the other.  After about two weeks I noticed that the seed level was going down, but I hadn’t seen birds. This morning I saw a chipmunk climb up the pole and get to it. I put Vaseline on the pole. Let’s see if that stops the little buggers.  I’m not sure what I’ll do next if it doesn’t. 

8 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I put up a pole with a seed feeder on one hook, and a hummingbird feeder on the other.  After about two weeks I noticed that the seed level was going down, but I hadn’t seen birds. This morning I saw a chipmunk climb up the pole and get to it. I put Vaseline on the pole. Let’s see if that stops the little buggers.  I’m not sure what I’ll do next if it doesn’t. 

You could get a squirrel baffle too, that way you don't have to remember to put the vaseline on regularly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yea we have a chipmunk who occasionally goes to our bird feeder, climbs in and pushes stuff to ground.  Our dog does not know to chase it away.  Fortunately it is not as greedy as squirrels and only comes occasionally although we think it lives in our honeysuckle bush.

Probably only comes to the feeder occasionally because he's packing them cheeks with a few days worth of food lol.

Love watching the Ibis here feeding in our yard. Also love watching the Osprey and Bald Eagle chase each other. Very partial to the Cardinals that take residence in our Jaboticaba trees! I love doing the Cardinal call to them, they hop around and respond right back for minutes at a time.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, Gray Beard said:

Build one of these.   I have never seen a squirell get past it.  Although I had to work on the top a little as a chipmunk would crawl up the center and into the feeder.  It also has one additional benefit.  Most baffles you buy are built to go on a straight pole.  If you have a bishop's hook with an L at the base you can take this one and not connect the seam until you are putting it around the pole.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, Irv said:

Orioles seemed to have left.  Haven't see one in a while.  Anybody still seeing them in NY?

A friend down the street from me still has two pairs.  Last year they stayed around into July.   I had one male, one female but I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks.   They would stop at the jelly feeder, then go to the blossoming apple tree and stay in the apple tree for few minutes going down the branches.  It seems like as soon as the blossoms were gone, so were the orioles.  Now I only have a couple of catbirds that visit the jelly feeder.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, Irv said:

Orioles seemed to have left.  Haven't see one in a while.  Anybody still seeing them in NY?

I read that the Orioles will stop eating the jelly around June 1st. That's when their babies hatch and they need protein more than sugar so they turn to eating insects more. They will return to sugar around the first of July. I can't confirm this as is my first year feeding them.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had never had a squirrel mess with my suet feeders. That has changed... there is 1 that comes around in the morning and then the evening, guess he likes eating upside down lol. I don't care, everybody eats here.

Am going to just no melt suet cakes, every bird I have around will eat off of the cages except the mourning doves who eat whatever is on the ground. I have 3 of the cages and it is a lot less hassle than doing the seeds... and also a lot better on the wallet. Was hoping the cardinals would take to them and sure enough they did, its a monkey see monkey do thing with all of the different species I suppose.

Loved backyard birding for years. Have a 4 acre lot that backs up to a creek. In a residential neighborhood.

It was a joy learning what to feed to draw beautiful birds.

Spent a nice chunk at Wild Birds Unlimited yearly. Then the big blue totes came to town.

Which were clearly merited, as the rats, which I never had, found my feeders not long after.

I will never do backyard birding again....but I still get a wonderful variety, but they're on their own.

Edited by I am the egg man

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I have yet to see 1 Humming Bird this season.  

Just last night I saw my first hummingbird nest in all the years of having them around.  Perched about 12 feet up on the branch of a shagbark hickory tree.  The hummingbirds are partial to the day lilies that are prevalent through the yard and neighbourhood.  When the day lilies are done blooming, the hibiscus seem to be the food source.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, sabrecrazed said:

I read that the Orioles will stop eating the jelly around June 1st. That's when their babies hatch and they need protein more than sugar so they turn to eating insects more. They will return to sugar around the first of July. I can't confirm this as is my first year feeding them.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:48 AM, Irv said:

I saw one yesterday.  It was feeding in my crab apple tree.   I have the oranges out and they are not being hit.  Thanks for the advice. I'll circle back in July. 

I put oranges out about a month ago and have not seen one oriole (nor have I ever seen one in my yard).

Zero hummingbirds this year, which has never happened.

Had a couple juncos build a nest in one of my hanging flower baskets.  They're finally gone and somehow the flower is not completely dead.

Hoping my nuthatches come back in the fall.  They're the only ones to take residence in the birdhouse.  This is the 2nd year they've been back.  They do their thing in the spring, then split for the summer/return in the fall for a bit.  They're fun to watch/listen to.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We have a large flowering shrub, a weigela.  Over the years I have noticed that the hummingbirds like it.  In June this year when it was in full flower I saw a few hummingbirds come to it.  I put out a hummingbird feeder near it, and it got some use.  Now the flowers are gone, and I haven’t seen a hummingbird in a few days.  

So the juncos left town and I got my hanging flower basket back.  That nest was smack dab in the middle and deep!  So I picked all the dead heads off and got some fresh water in there .. and decided to do the same with the other flower basket.

What do I see?  A mother ***** nest.  AND a little egg.  But it had been abandoned, which is sad.

I've lived in my house for 12 years and have hanging baskets every year.  NEVER have birds nested in them.  I hope this doesn't become a habit.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

So the juncos left town and I got my hanging flower basket back.  That nest was smack dab in the middle and deep!  So I picked all the dead heads off and got some fresh water in there .. and decided to do the same with the other flower basket.

What do I see?  A mother ***** nest.  AND a little egg.  But it had been abandoned, which is sad.

I've lived in my house for 12 years and have hanging baskets every year.  NEVER have birds nested in them.  I hope this doesn't become a habit.

It might.  

My neighbor across the street has birds building nests in his mail box “paper” slot.  

he takes the best out and they build again and again. 

My neighborhood discourages bird feeders due to rats and the %$^#@ flying squirrels. It was $everal thou$and to get those squirrels out of the attic and seal it off. 

HOWEVER, we have a rather large fountain in the small back yard, and we have no shortage of birds. They come for the water all day long. Have to put a few drops of anti-algae stuff in there monthly, but it’s safe for them. Love the parade of birds. 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:02 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I've been at this same house for 22 years and have never seen even 1, ever. I've never used one of the feeders so I guess that's why. Really though, I don't have many flowering plants at all but for some reason I have a ton of butterflies, at least 8 different types. They are all over the place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.