Backyard Birding

SoTier

13 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Article in today's Washington Post on feeder care.  Wash the inside of the feeder every day?  Seems a bit much to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/how-to-clean-bird-feeder/2021/02/08/20797a58-60e6-11eb-afbe-9a11a127d146_story.html

Yeah, this is a bit much. Usually just running two suet feeders nowadays, along with a tall feeder for sunflower seeds. Really nothing to clean... I just tap it out on a board I have back there when it gets majorly low.

9 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Article in today's Washington Post on feeder care.  Wash the inside of the feeder every day?  Seems a bit much to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/how-to-clean-bird-feeder/2021/02/08/20797a58-60e6-11eb-afbe-9a11a127d146_story.html

Ok I need to get a life but not cleaning out the feeders daily.  What size feeders do these guys have - 1 cup???

Mine will handle multiple pounds. We are mixing cracked corn, sunflower seeds and some mixed seed.

Unusual design

- it is wide tube based with multiple feeding holes (3x4) with outer wire frame to prevent squirrels and unfortunately some of larger birds.

-top has clips to keep top on but squirrels are creative so my wife was too and she drilled holes through top and and a washer which squirrels cannot open (yet).

-bottom has wood parts which squirrels have not been able to chew through and claps which you need to open on either to open bottom of feeder to clean it or empty out seeds which have gotten wet and sprouted.

It is on a chain off a hook but Squirrels can reach it with jumping effort. Saw a squirrel miss once.

Squirrels will jump on it trying to swing in to knock food out. Chipmunk will climb in and dig into it dumping seed to ground.

My daughter now (when she remember) hangs it and we keep it in an aluminum garbage can over night to keep racoons and other night animals away from it.

This is probably our 8th bird feeder.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a few gold finches hanging around down here in Fl but it won't be long before they head out. Oddly, haven't seen any robin's lately... saw a couple of them maybe 2 months ago but that was it. Usually they are here by the hundreds. Next month I put up my new birdfeeder pole... a treated 4 by 4, ten feet tall... with sheet metal for the first 6', rounded. Mr. squirrel will have no way up but can have the scraps on the ground, which is usually a decent amount. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I put a basic cage-type suet feeder out with suet that attracts woodpeckers. They have arrived and the nuthatches love it, too.

I use those cages but until I get the post set up I'm using the greasy woodpecker cakes in them... the no melt ones are roto tilled by the ***** squirrels. I'm patient, should be just a couple of weeks. The woodpeckers here are the king of the hill here at the feeders, they don't care who or why, they just come in and that is it lol.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look how close she let me get to her.   At work a few days ago, only had my puny cellphone...20210219_172140.thumb.jpg.f04a16150f46606a6d56f8d775f5607d.jpg

Highly compressed:

20210219_171930_1.thumb.jpg.52083345f99f17e4f9d1b0ce44d25688.jpg

ESSAYONS!

I believe this is harassment of an endangered bird... section 9 of the 4th section regarding the species... rule 5 and 7. 

I put up a suet feeder and a tube feeder with black oil sunflower seeds shortly before Christmas. So far, I could identify 15 species visiting the feeders. However, only the pine siskins and house finches visit the feeders themselves regularly; sometimes, a cardinal or a red-winged blackbird will make an attempt. Most of the other species will just survey the ground under the feeders to pick up seeds that fell to the ground. Among the rarer visitors there are a curved-billed thrasher and a spotted towhee.

A few weeks ago the feeders attracted a bird that was not attracted to our offerings, but to the birds which were feeding - a Cooper's hawk. These accipiters are extremely agile (they have shorter wings than other hawks), and its moves were impressive. However, our regular visitors fled into a nearby rosebush, and the hawk could not get to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, T&C said:

I believe this is harassment of an endangered bird... section 9 of the 4th section regarding the species... rule 5 and 7. 

Bald eagles have been off the endangered list since late 1990s.  Off the threatened list for about 15 years.  They are like rats in the sky now.  😆 Okay,  not really... But everywhere... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bald eagles have been off the endangered list since late 1990s.  Off the threatened list for about 15 years.  They are like rats in the sky now.  😆 Okay,  not really... But everywhere... 

You know, its like the sandhill cranes down here... they are pretty much everywhere, in a pair usually. Sometimes with junior. They stand like 3' tall... I have had to block them off of tee boxes with a driver just so I could hit. ***** can for sure destroy a tee box area. Walk across the road like they are made of steel lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T&C said:

You know, its like the sandhill cranes down here... they are pretty much everywhere, in a pair usually. Sometimes with junior. They stand like 3' tall... I have had to block them off of tee boxes with a driver just so I could hit. ***** can for sure destroy a tee box area. Walk across the road like they are made of steel lol. 

Here the eagles are probably catching Asian carp on one side and flying with them to the Lake side and dropping them there!  😆🤣 I think the anti-industry crowd enviros need to shut those mofos down!  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here the eagles are probably catching Asian carp on one side and flying with them to the Lake side and dropping them there!  😆🤣 I think the anti-industry crowd enviros need to shut those mofos down!  😉

No need to make a bird feeding thread political... sincerely, the mods who oversee everything you say and do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a family of curve-billed thrashers at the suet feeder this morning, 2 adults, 2 young, already pretty chunky. One adult was hanging at the feeder and throwing down morsels of suet. The other adult took the morsels and fed them to the kids. Sorry, no pics.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.