Backyard Birding

SoTier

On 7/31/2020 at 9:35 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the hummers are back to typical visits every 20 - 30 minutes...  

Been a weird summer. 

No %$#&!

We got a bird feeder with suction cups to fit on a kitchen window hoping to keep squirrels away. We have a huge fountain and the birds come for the water, but after a week they have yet to find the feeder. We either have the dumbest birds ever, or I bought the Lima beans of bird food. 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I actually had a skunk problem for a couple years.  Found this remedy online.  Soak tennis balls in ammonia over night.  Next day, roll the tennis balls under the shed.  It's preferable to do it when you know they're out, but I never worried about it.  The ammonia smell makes them think another animal has come and pissed in their territory.  They pack up the fam and leave.  I did it for two years straight.  They left both times and (knock on wood) I haven't had skunks under my shed in at least 5 years, maybe more.

Robins are the first sign of spring here.  And for that, I love them!

You gave me a good idea... Slit a tennis ball a few times and then cram a 4 packer of moth balls inside it and then roll it into the unwanted territory... that should last for a couple of months at least. 

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

No %$#&!

We got a bird feeder with suction cups to fit on a kitchen window hoping to keep squirrels away. We have a huge fountain and the birds come for the water, but after a week they have yet to find the feeder. We either have the dumbest birds ever, or I bought the Lima beans of bird food. 

Get a tall shepards hook... available most home improvement stores... and hang your feeders. Sunflower seeds are the lobster for most species. Lube the post with cheap vaseline or whatever the dollar store sells. The squirrels will slide down it like 1 dollar hookers. Mine have given up lol. Figure I'm saving 40 a month by just feeding the birds. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

You gave me a good idea... Slit a tennis ball a few times and then cram a 4 packer of moth balls inside it and then roll it into the unwanted territory... that should last for a couple of months at least. 

And the beauty of it is that you don't have to get too close (unless you're Tony Fauci, LOL)!  Good luck!!

9 hours ago, Augie said:

No %$#&!

window feeder?   Seems like a recipe for disaster.

birds fly into windows as it is, and the feeder would make that worse I would think,  as well as peck at the window and poop all over the house. 

I have shepherds hooks and I've yet to see a squirrel climb one.  (I don't have man squirrels in the neighborhood to begin with)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuqBS_gkQqYEOI7fD9W6x

I have one for the seed feeder and one for the humming birds

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

birds fly into windows as it is, and the feeder would make that worse I would think,  as well as peck at the window and poop all over the house. 

I have shepherds hooks and I've yet to see a squirrel climb one.  (I don't have man squirrels in the neighborhood to begin with)

The squirrels here will climb them but like I said if anyone has a problem with that just vaseline it up... it even stays on when it rains hard. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

No %$#&!

I'll bet that its the reflection of the glass that is keeping them away.

As far as the seed goes, you can't go wrong with sunflower seeds. A lot of the cheap/budget bags of seed are loaded with milo... the brown seeds the size of a bb. Sure they are " edible" but nothing will eat it other than the mourning doves on the ground and that's only if that is the only thing there. Its just filler and in my opinion the only thing its good for is making more milo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We’ve had squirrel problems, including flying squirrels that got in the attic for a costly adventure. (Catching them and sealing up was about $2,500.) We gave up on that type of thing. I’m not trying that hard, but I’m also not going to battle my wife who saw this window thing online somewhere. Chose your battles wisely.  So far, not a single bird or squirrel so no harm done.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I'll bet that its the reflection of the glass that is keeping them away.

As far as the seed goes, you can't go wrong with sunflower seeds. A lot of the cheap/budget bags of seed are loaded with milo... the brown seeds the size of a bb. Sure they are " edible" but nothing will eat it other than the mourning doves on the ground and that's only if that is the only thing there. Its just filler and in my opinion the only thing its good for is making more milo.

I’m guessing it’s the reflection, good point. It’s about 1/3 sunflower seeds so you’d think they’d cherry pick that. I was surprised how many different kinds of bird feed there were!

The next step will be to put up a sign that says BIRD FOOD with an arrow pointing to feeder in large font (everyone knows birds have poor vision). 

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m guessing it’s the reflection, good point. It’s about 1/3 sunflower seeds so you’d think they’d cherry pick that. I was surprised how many different kinds of bird feed there were!

The next step will be to put up a sign that says BIRD FOOD with an arrow pointing to feeder in large font (everyone knows birds have poor vision). 

Straight outta Roadrunner!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

The smart birds will know that a coyote placed the food there.

afbd6edf6e0d3e95765c1e6a78d659db

• Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

We’ve had squirrel problems, including flying squirrels that got in the attic for a costly adventure. (Catching them and sealing up was about $2,500.) We gave up on that type of thing. I’m not trying that hard, but I’m also not going to battle my wife who saw this window thing online somewhere. Chose your battles wisely.  So far, not a single bird or squirrel so no harm done.  

LOL  a happy wife ...... 

16 minutes ago, Irv said:

I had given up on the Orioles and saw one from afar last week.  Reloaded the jelly and oranges and bam~!  This one showed up today:

Oriole 1.jpg

Nice... have never seen one down here. Wonder if they would like this one:

image.jpeg.26c08128e9edc2bfb714628c7fda1890.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:44 PM, Gugny said:

I would love to do more feeders but the squirrels make me want to pull my hair out.

Our neighborhood is likewise overrun with squirrels.  The other day my lawnmower uprooted a peanut seedling.  We have neighbors that throw raw peanuts out on their lawns for the squirrels.  Obviously, a squirrel brought one into the yard and buried it.  We see a fair variety of birds in our yard regardless: cardinals, bluebirds, grackles, sparrows, house finches, robins, junkos, flickers, and mourning doves among them.  Of course it varies by season.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

No %$#&!

We tried a window feeder last winter, and the birds ignored it all winter.  Apparently the only thing they're good for is making money for the seller and the manufacturer.

16 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Our neighborhood is likewise overrun with squirrels.  The other day my lawnmower uprooted a peanut seedling.  We have neighbors that throw raw peanuts out on their lawns for the squirrels.  Obviously, a squirrel brought one into the yard and buried it.  We see a fair variety of birds in our yard regardless: cardinals, bluebirds, grackles, sparrows, house finches, robins, junkos, flickers, and mourning doves among them.  Of course it varies by season.

We tried a window feeder last winter, and the birds ignored it all winter.  Apparently the only thing they're good for is making money for the seller and the manufacturer.

I've actually got a problem with juncos this year.  I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they've nested in both of my hanging baskets.  So I've got two dead hanging baskets hanging in my porch.  Sure the neighbors are loving that as they walk by, LOL.

But they are MEAN bastards.  I can't use my porch.  They attack.  And now they seem to have nested in the back, where I do my grilling.  I haven't been attacked out back, yet - but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

45 minutes ago, Irv said:

I had given up on the Orioles and saw one from afar last week.  Reloaded the jelly and oranges and bam~!  This one showed up today:

We have four oriole pairs bringing their youngsters to the jelly feeder. Gotta load up on carbs before flying south.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

No %$#&!

Get Sunflower hearts, de-shelled Sunflower seeds.  Once the birds find that they come back.  If your feeder is on a patio or porch, you don't have to clean up all the black shells.   I have yard feeders and a window feeder.  The window feeder only gets hearts but the the yard feeders get both types.  If the yard feeders run out of hearts some of the larger birds come to the window.  A blue jay will come and he is as big as the feeder.  All he can do is grab the edge and hang, but he likes to come and pig out.

Also, there are not many birds that come and stay if there is someone in the kitchen.  I have seen them flying in and turn away if your within 5 feet of the window.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've actually got a problem with juncos this year.  I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they've nested in both of my hanging baskets.  So I've got two dead hanging baskets hanging in my porch.  Sure the neighbors are loving that as they walk by, LOL.

But they are MEAN bastards.  I can't use my porch.  They attack.  And now they seem to have nested in the back, where I do my grilling.  I haven't been attacked out back, yet - but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

If it was me I'd be moving those baskets out back somewhere's. I'm an animal lover but there comes a point where there is a line in the sand. Its not like you are killing them... just a simple relocation. Take tennis or badmitton gear when you move them... if you do. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

LOL.  I saw them more in the winter when I don't have flower baskets or attempt to grill steaks.  I feel for you though, being harassed by a bunch of 3 ounce birds.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.