Bypassing the DC Beltway

Depends on where south of beltway you are going.

You can take US-15 to Point of Rocks thru Leesburg.

Then it depends if you are going to Fairfax County or someplace south like Dumfries, Richmond, etc.

Try route from Leesburg to where you are going.

Why are you trying to avoid beltway?  Pretty low traffic post COVID-19.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

When traveling through DC(coming down US15 through PA) trying to get on 95 south, is there an easy way to bypass the beltway without going significantly out of the way?

where ya coming from, where ya going to, and when are you going? Thx for the callout @Seasons1992

God, you have got to get rid of the avatar Seasons!!!!!

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Depends on where south of beltway you are going.

You can take US-15 to Point of Rocks thru Leesburg.

Then it depends if you are going to Fairfax County or someplace south like Dumfries, Richmond, etc.

Try route from Leesburg to where you are going.

Why are you trying to avoid beltway?  Pretty low traffic post COVID-19.

If traveling south of Fredricksburg, 15 to 29 to 17 to 95 is a route, but if doing anytime during rush hour..meaning 2-8PM..that is a pretty brutal route as well.

41 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Do they no longer advocate the I-81 south to I-66 east, then dropping down US-17 to tie in with I-95 at Fredericksburg, Va.?

again, depends on time of day and where you starting from. If trying to get to anywhere south of Fredericksburg, and starting from Buffalo, and want to avoid DC, better going 219-80-....-99-76-522-37-81-66-17-95..and stay in center lane of 17 right until you get to 95. Massive backup to get on 95, but there is a light right before the entrance...you will always find a spot to merge in, always!

If 15 is convenient , can always consider heading through BMore, and south 301...all depends where you starting and where you ending

I know every route from the east coast LOL..drive tons for job, and also to from Buffalo/Richmond for many Bills games

Edited by plenzmd1

17 minutes ago, Richmond_Bills said:

I use Waze and it typically always routes you correctly based on traffic.  

Now why would I want to use something as instantaneous as that when I can get AAA/CAA to send me a Triptik a week ahead?!

?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Now why would I want to use something as instantaneous as that when I can get AAA/CAA to send me a Triptik a week ahead?!

?

There are a ton of people here who have no idea what this is.

3 Vintage Triptik Books. 1960s & 1980s. Vintage Road Map image 0

• Haha (+1) 1

Another option if time is more important than $ is to use EZPass to get past the DC traffic. You will prob still run into a backup where EZPass terminates around Quantico. 
Let Waze know you have EZPass and you can relax while moving past traffic in the public lanes.

A couple years ago when going to the Outer Banks NC, to avoid DC we headed east and went down through Delaware.  I don’t remember the exact route, I’d have to check a map, but I was fighting my GPS for most of it.  

“Recalculating” 

“Recalculating” 

“Recalculating” 

“Recalculating” 

Just looking at alternate routes to 95(south of the beltway) when  heading anywhere between NC and Florida.   No immediate plans or destinations.   Just I always seem to find traffic trouble when traveling the beltway on the past

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just looking at alternate routes to 95(south of the beltway) when  heading anywhere between NC and Florida.   No immediate plans or destinations.   Just I always seem to find traffic trouble when traveling the beltway on the past

not quite sure what ya mean here Labatt? Coming from Buffalo to NC? Heading back from there? 

If i understand correctly, you could catch 522 at Hancock MD, then the 37 to 81 to 66 to 522 in Front Royal..take that south to 64 East, to 288 South, that to 95 South of Richmond. 522 is one lane  for about 10 miles through and past  Berkely Springs  and can get a bit slow depending. But after that pretty nice drive to 64..one lane for the most part but not a ton of truck traffic, and breaks up the highway drive. Thats trhe way i come home from Buffalo most often

2 hours ago, Richmond_Bills said:

I use Waze and it typically always routes you correctly based on traffic.  

Problem with waze on a long trip is it some what locks ya in. I love Waze, but not on the trip around DC. Also, I am one who likes to KNOW how long it is going take, and going through DC anytime outsdie 8PM -$AM is a tough to do that

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

Another option if time is more important than $ is to use EZPass to get past the DC traffic. You will prob still run into a backup where EZPass terminates around Quantico. 
Let Waze know you have EZPass and you can relax while moving past traffic in the public lanes.

And get another mortgage on your house, or be rich like @Mr Info...if coming from 15 to 495 to 95 South during a typical afternoon rush hour, getting the HOT lanes at Tyson and talking them to termination south of Quantico will be at least $40, prolly closer to $50. And save at best 20 minutes coming down 17 to 95.

Just remember, me and Mr (mis) Info live 15 minutes apart, he aint never drove with me to a Bills game(outside the Jacksonville playoff game), Mr. fancy pants has to fly everywhere he goes!

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

There are a ton of people here who have no idea what this is.

3 Vintage Triptik Books. 1960s & 1980s. Vintage Road Map image 0

Used this to move from Hartford, CT to  Sunnyvale, CA  (stopping in Buffalo) back in 1995.

Edited by Wacka

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

not quite sure what ya mean here Labatt? Coming from Buffalo to NC? Heading back from there? 

I normally would be traveling down US15 coming from NYS. Going back same way US15 North through PA

Edited by LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just remember, me and Mr (mis) Info live 15 minutes apart, he aint never drove with me to a Bills game(outside the Jacksonville playoff game), Mr. fancy pants has to fly everywhere he goes!

Tell you what, Mr Cratchit. You can drive with me to the games next year & we can drink the entire way in an autonomous EV. That is the only way I am driving to WNY again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd stay on US15.  US15 runs just W of Dulles Airport.  Just stay on US15 S into Virginia to US17 E, to I-95 S.  US15 can be congested between Point of Rocks MD and the S side of Leesburg VA.  Once you pass Leesburg, it moves OK.  That keeps you away from the Beltway.  I-95 is slow N of Fredericksburg VA till you get across the Rappahannock river because they're widening I-95 and widening the bridge.