[Vague Title] The King..Is out there..Sammy

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I responded to the thread by saying you’d think Sammy was a complete bust and out of the league by now with all the hate he’s getting in here.

I’ll add on here. I was understanding of the trade.  Not terrible, not great. I have a mild issue with it. Our WR Corp was bad. I’m not sure we had the luxury to trade Sammy at the time.

I feel bad for Watkins. I wasn’t aware of his history. There’s a lot of baggage. His lizard king, demon inhabiting, world is flat views aren’t why he spiraled in Buffalo. It just makes him a super weird dude.His spiral is because he has a number of life changing experiences that seem like they were never dealt with until he was on his own. Not terribly uncommon. I feel for the kid. I hope he feels whole again. 

Our front office does preach process,  “come to Buffalo and be the best version of yourself”, and family, but they've seemed to turn their back on players with some serious baggage in pretty short order. Which is fine to a certain extent. It’s professional sports and my boss isn’t cutting me slack for my baggage. But my boss isn’t taking the opportunity to tell the world that he can help me do anything other than pay my bills. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He had two good years actually. One injury consumed year where he suffered a Jones fracture.... he’s a ***** whack job.... this doesn’t make him much different than A LOT of NFL players.

So what? We didn’t spend two first rounders on A LOT of NFL players. We did on Sammy. 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He had two good years actually. One injury consumed year where he suffered a Jones fracture.... he’s a ***** whack job.... this doesn’t make him much different than A LOT of NFL players.

I don’t think anyone can reasonably argue his production has lived up to where he was drafted. You don’t give up a bounty to move up and draft a guy that gives you what he has. He’s a 3/4 WR with true #1 talent. The article sheds some light on why his talent and actual production have never really matched up. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m guessing Sammy wasn’t a nut job or drinking at all when he put up the best numbers of his career in 2014 and 2015? 

His own words are a ***** disaster. He’s got issues. 

And? He performed when he was on the field.... Then enter McDermott, and he didn’t want to put up with his ***** up mentality. So he shipped him off and many Bills fans have hated him since. 

I would stop guessing if I were you.

You’re acting like his 2014/2015 numbers were legendary.  They were decent numbers but nothing to stroke your argument with.

Watkins goes public and demands 10 targets a game and the man was getting “wasted wasted” every night...thats the guy you’re defending.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And? He performed when he was on the field.... Then enter McDermott, and he didn’t want to put up with his ***** up mentality. So he shipped him off and many Bills fans have hated him since. 

Sammy wasn’t on the field because he was tearing off his cast and acting like a psycho. And Sammy was clearly begging to leave town. 

Sammy had the potential to be our #1 WR for over a decade and instead he prolonged his own injury problems, was an issue to our new coach, and acted like a complete psycho. Wow, can’t believe he’s disliked.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just defending the football player. Not the person off the field.

They were his best two years and I’m sure he was just as big a moron off the field during those two years as he was his last year in Buffalo and he was a gigantic asset to those teams on game day. 

Hes a valuable weapon offensively....which is why two of the more prominent offensive minds in the game invested in him despite his issues.

Actually you're defending your consistent "McBeane" are idiots for trading Sammy.  You said it a million times.  Remember you told us to "mark it down" that are playoff streak will get to 20 because McDermott is an idiot for trading Sammy?

Now this article came out....and you are trying to save face.

Well McVay did not resign him, got Brandin Cooks instead.  Watkins was 27 years old...

Now he has to take a restructure to stay with the team for a base salary of $7 million.  At that base salary, I think that puts him in the top 3 highest paid?  Is that correct Scott?  He could stay if he takes a pay cut.  The same thing you said about Star.  But Sammy is a valuable weapon offensively which is why two off the more prominent minds in the game invested in him despite his issues.

We all know you Scott, if John Brown next year puts up 52 receptions, 643 yards and 3 TD's (Sammy's numbers last year)....you'll be pounding the table that we need to upgrade the #2 and Brown is done.  But when Sammy does it.....he's a valuable weapon which is why two prominent offensive minds in the game invested in him despite his issues.  

Just because you're a character doesn't mean you have character.  

• Like (+1) 3

He really did luck out getting picked up by Reid and KC.  At least he seems smart enough to know that.  He is a goid player, not a great one.  

I’m happy he is gone.  He was a poor choice, especially for the cost to move up.  Just proves Whaley’s lack of attention to important details.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well McVay did not resign him, got Brandin Cooks instead.  Watkins was 27 years old.

He was 27 years old when McVay moved on from him more than 2 years ago?  He must be from a different realm after all given that today he’s only 26.  Normal human beings age in a linear fashion.  Not the Lizard King Reptilian Solar Being.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would stop guessing if I were you.

You’re acting like his 2014/2015 numbers were legendary.  They were decent numbers but nothing to stroke your argument with.

Watkins goes public and demands 10 targets a game and the man was getting “wasted wasted” every night...thats the guy you’re defending.  

Putting up 2014 and 2015 numbers in a bottom ranked conservative passing attack is highly impressive.  He put up those 2015 numbers on 50% less targets than OBJ and 100% less targets Julio Jones.  Over the last 8 games of 2015 he was the best WR in football.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeckOd00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneJu02.htm

Obviously, none of this mattered for ***** when he didn't take care of himself and ***** up his foot recovery but the guy had the ability.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billl said:

He was 27 years old when McVay moved on from him more than 2 years ago?  He must be from a different realm after all given that today he’s only 26.  Normal human beings age in a linear fashion.  Not the Lizard King Reptilian Solar Being.

I thought he was 27 but I was wrong.  It does make my point (towards Scott) a better one...he was even younger when he moved on from him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sammy disciples, clinging to the church of the Mystic wonder man.

Living in the past, with tears  ? for what might have been, righteous to the bitter end...

Sammy koolaid anyone? 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, NewEra said:

He’s a supremely talented athlete.  Not many WRs have his combination of speed, strength, explosiveness and strong hands. He’s going to be as good as sammy wants to be. Unfortunately for Sammy, his mental state seems to be getting in the way of him becoming great. In my opinion of course.  

there’s no denying that he has elite talent

I never mentioned his physical gifts. Clearly you're right. He has those in spades. I was referencing his limited experience as a pro-style wide receiver. Sure, I was being hyperbolic in saying that 80% of his catches were WR screens. But there were big concerns about Sammy's ability to run routes. It wasn't something that he was asked to do in Clemson.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/02/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills

This article goes over his route running concerns. Turns out it was only 44% of his catches were screens.

At the time, it was a huge risk giving up a first to move up to take a receiver in the top 5. Even more of a risk to do it for a guy who rarely played WR (despite his obvious gifts that you mentioned). That's what I meant in my original statement.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I never mentioned his physical gifts. Clearly you're right. He has those in spades. I was referencing his limited experience as a pro-style wide receiver. Sure, I was being hyperbolic in saying that 80% of his catches were WR screens. But there were big concerns about Sammy's ability to run routes. It wasn't something that he was asked to do in Clemson.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/02/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills

This article goes over his route running concerns. Turns out it was only 44% of his catches were screens.

At the time, it was a huge risk giving up a first to move up to take a receiver in the top 5. Even more of a risk to do it for a guy who rarely played WR (despite his obvious gifts that you mentioned). That's what I meant in my original statement.

In college, teams got so concerned with Sammy burning them deep that CBs were playing him 10 yards off the LOS.  He called them "free yards".  

Then our genius offensive coordinators never attempted a WR screen, trips formation, or anything else to get the ball in his hands and let him run at the pro level.  Mind boggling.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If memory serves, and maybe I'm getting old, but many people hated Watkins immediately upon having been drafted.  Same with Manuel.  Actually, same with Dareus now that I think about it.  I have never exactly gotten the player hate aspect, but I do get the frustration around a team who for decades kept trying to punch its own dick off before any actual games were played.

50 minutes ago, Groin said:

If memory serves, and maybe I'm getting old, but many people hated Watkins immediately upon having been drafted.  Same with Manuel.  Actually, same with Dareus now that I think about it.  I have never exactly gotten the player hate aspect, but I do get the frustration around a team who for decades kept trying to punch its own dick off before any actual games were played.

Plenty of fans hated Gilmore immediately when he was drafted because he wasn't smiling.