[Vague Title] The King..Is out there..Sammy

It's actually funny googling Sammy Watkins. You get 9 out of 10 articles that gives a headline that feeds into the media narrative that no one wants to play for the Bills, and it's a a hell hole, blah blah blah. Then there's one headline, "Sammy Watkins Belives He's an Alien" Haha.

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Sounds like either he has the gift like a medium/psychic/empath does where they can sense and have other worldly/dimensional entities make themselves known to them or he has some serious challenges mentally.  I know a few people with those type of abilities and I 100% believe in it but sometimes it is hard to discern those people from people with mental illness.  Unsure of what he has going on but it sounds like a rough path he has to follow.

I know a few people who have those powers too, but I work in a mental hospital and they are called patients.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I know a few people who have those powers too, but I work in a mental hospital and they are called patients.

Sammy's been making weird comments for years and I honestly feel it has a schizophrenic vibe to it. Though I'm not a doctor

It just seems like some wires are loose

• Like (+1) 1

That dude is schizophrenic.

I used to live not far from where he's from. It's not a great area at all. But it's not the carnage he has apparently witnessed often. Of course I cannot deny his experience, but I can question it. 

Sounds more like he's untethered. Was plain to see when I waited on him as part of 8-12 person tables at my now former high-end restaurant gig. Always with the solo bottle of pink bubbles, even when first drafted and underage (I'm no stickler). Always aloof. Not connected to his group. From there he'd head down to Encore to do what people used to do there: get obliterated. 

Waste of immense talent. Unfortunate. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Logic said:

I think there's a small kernel of real knowledge and wisdom in what Sammy is saying. Things like astral projection, lucid dreaming, the powers of manifestation, for instance...these topics have had hundreds of books written about them. I also think that that small kernel of knowledge and wisdom is obscured by a big old pile of nonsense, paranoia and possible mental illness. 

Aside from how OUT THERE Sammy seems to be, my favorite parts were his saying that McDermott was nothing but negative energy -- we all know coach McDermott: Mr Negativity! -- and his saying that if the Chiefs don't feed him the ball this year it's going to be "World War III!". Sure SOUNDS like a guy who is spiritually awakened! ?

Good post. I was going to post something similar. Not everything Sammy talks about is crazy or out of the realm of possibility, but he seems to be facing so many demons/past trauma that I don't think he understands any of it as much as he thinks he does right now. He's kind of all over the place with it. As Confucius is quoted: “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." But good on him for at least looking for truth/answers/a better way. It's a long and hard road to go down with a lot of wrong turns and dead ends, and he seems like he has a lot of things to get over and work through personally first, but maybe it will eventually lead him to a better place.

However, I think that the article (and Sammy's own words) unequivocally show that it was the right decision for the Bills to move on from Sammy when they did. What would the Bills have gotten out of him in that last year with both his mindset and his actions (not taking care of his body, not getting enough sleep, not being a part of the team, etc.). And the following year, are you going to pay a guy that you aren't sure you can count on $10+ million dollars a year for multiple years? Plus, how does McDermott build his new culture when the highest paid player doesn't buy in, gets bad vibes from the coach, doesn't talk to or hang out with his teammates? Sammy was just not mentally able to help the team at that time, no matter how physically gifted he was/is. With the Chiefs, he was walking into a veteran team, with an established culture, and where he didn't have to be the savior, but just a small piece of the puzzle. So, it's not surprising that he has had some successful moments there. But on a Bills team that was building from scratch, where he was in an even worse mental state, heavy drinking and drugs, bad stuff going on in his life (with family and friends), with all of the expectations, with a coach trying to establish a new way of doing things, a new mindset...it was just never going to work. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wow wow wow 

I see that's already been said many times, as is probably everything else that I'm going to say. Just squeezing in before it gets to 50 pages. I kind of felt bad for him, a bit, during like the first 40% of the interview. I empathize with his Buffalo experience or any experience that makes you feel uncomfortable to the point where you're just getting drunk every night yadda yadda yadda

But then I just kept reading. I now worry for him for completely different reasons. This thing is incredible. Gotta say, he's at least like somehow consolidated all of his craziness into being interesting and borderline charismatic? That's probably just Dunne doing a good job but this is easily Sammy's best interview ever. I hope he keeps inexplicably showing up in the playoffs for years to come so that we can continue diving into his psyche.

Edited by Nelius

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Sorry Sammy you just not good enough.

20 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sammy Watkins is out there..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes

As always, great interview and article by Ty Dunne.Interesting insight into his time with the Bills etc...

I guess so but Ty Dunne got a story of bull#### from Sammy so all he did was show how crazy Watkins is... Not really a good story TBH.

Yet another example of why this Bills organization struggled for almost two decades, before finally breaking through.

You constantly hear about NFL scouts doing crazy amounts of due-diligence on prospects (especially those slated to go 1st Round).  Their work habits.  Their personal lives.  Their medical history.  Yet somehow Doug Whaley and his guys happened to miss - or simply didn't care - that Sammy Watkins was completely loony toons and had serious substance abuse issues. 

It should also comfort fans that Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott walked in the door at One Bills Drive, and pretty much instantly realized he needed to go.  They immediately declined his 5th Year Option, and then showcased Watkins in exactly one preseason game before trading him off to the Rams.  I always figured the decision was about injuries and securing extra draft capital for a Quarterback.  The idea that Watkins didn't "fit" the culture seemed weird to me, because his off-field troubles weren't very public.  This certainly clears things up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So he smoked some of that synthetic weed went for a drive an hallucinated...…………..I stopped reading after that.

The guy needs a brain transplant :( 

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Yet another example of why this Bills organization struggled for almost two decades, before finally breaking through.

You constantly hear about NFL scouts doing crazy amounts of due-diligence on prospects (especially those slated to go 1st Round).  Their work habits.  Their personal lives.  Their medical history.  Yet somehow Doug Whaley and his guys happened to miss - or simply didn't care - that Sammy Watkins was completely loony toons and had serious substance abuse issues. 

It should also comfort fans that Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott walked in the door at One Bills Drive, and pretty much instantly realized he needed to go.  They immediately declined his 5th Year Option, and then showcased Watkins in exactly one preseason game before trading him off to the Rams.  I always figured the decision was about injuries and securing extra draft capital for a Quarterback.  The idea that Watkins didn't "fit" the culture seemed weird to me, because his off-field troubles weren't very public.  This certainly clears things up.

I remember all the heat they took for casting off all those misfits.

Some of the comments here are troubling. Mental health issues are no joke.

If you want to slam Sammy as the bust of a football player he was here, that's fine. I never liked that pick and didn't really like him as a player and fought people here on the "decoy" nonsense.

But some of the personal stuff here is pretty cruel. Dude was in his early 20's with what sounds like significant mental health issues. Lots of people with those problems self-medicate, especially from underserved populations where you don't really know what to do with all of that. 

Hopefully whether all that stuff is real or not, the dude can keep the mental clarity he supposedly has now. Even if he's just tricking himself with some of his philosophies, there's no harm in trying to turn negatives into positives. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

You can believe what you will believe.  I believe the universe doesn't exist in the narrow confines that we think it does.  Ironically if you actually believe in physics and the teachings of Einstein, Tesla and various other brilliant minds they clearly talk about other dimensions and worm holes, dark matter, a universal energy source,  etc as being real and as far as I know none of those theories have been proven wrong, and in fact most have been proven right.

There is so much we have no clue about, but few people question things beyond what is directly in front of their face.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Some of the comments here are troubling. Mental health issues are no joke.

If you want to slam Sammy as the bust of a football player he was here, that's fine. I never liked that pick and didn't really like him as a player and fought people here on the "decoy" nonsense.

But some of the personal stuff here is pretty cruel. Dude was in his early 20's with what sounds like significant mental health issues. Lots of people with those problems self-medicate, especially from underserved populations where you don't really know what to do with all of that. 

Hopefully whether all that stuff is real or not, the dude can keep the mental clarity he supposedly has now. Even if he's just tricking himself with some of his philosophies, there's no harm in trying to turn negatives into positives. 

People also want to discount the transition from growing up in Florida and then suddenly living in upstate NY.  Buffalo is a nice town, but it may as well be a completely different planet (insert reptilian solar king joke here).  He was a 21 year old kid from the Deep South who was thrown onto a bad football team in upstate NY and expected to be the savior because of the draft capital spent to acquire him.  He got off to an incredible start to his career, but when he got hurt, the city turned on him.

He certainly didn’t do himself any favors with his partying, but he didn’t get into a bunch of trouble.  He’s a pretty good dude by just about every account.  It’s funny how the same people who will make every excuse in the world for one player show no quarter for others.

In any event, he’s been through a lot.  He played a huge role in winning a championship and seems to be eager to play a larger role next year.  It’s easy to forget that he’s still only 26.  If he can keep his mind and body right (two big ‘ifs’) he’s going to end his career with some really impressive numbers, a huge bank account, and likely multiple rings.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

You can believe what you will believe.  I believe the universe doesn't exist in the narrow confines that we think it does.  Ironically if you actually believe in physics and the teachings of Einstein, Tesla and various other brilliant minds they clearly talk about other dimensions and worm holes, dark matter, a universal energy source,  etc as being real and as far as I know none of those theories have been proven wrong, and in fact most have been proven right.

There is so much we have no clue about, but few people question things beyond what is directly in front of their face.

FuCaP.gif