Gregg Rosenthal: AFC East projected starters - Bills Deep Everywhere

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Who cares?   That's last year.  We were growing as a team as well, with a ton of new pieces. 

And what's with the Darnold, "with mono?"  Like that means anything.  The guy played and didn't even know he had mono, and it wouldn't have mattered if he didn't.   Playing against Darnold without mono doesn't elevate his status whatsoever. 

Beating upper echelon teams requires quality Qb play, which clearly didn't exist here last year.  If, IF, Allen steps up his game, there will be no problem beating top tier opponents this year. 

This team is literally a QB away from curb stomping 3/4 of the league. 

Darnold was literally playing with Mono. I don’t care if it is Aaron Rodgers-if he’s playing with Mono it’s noteworthy. This is the NFL for god sakes! Read the symptoms of Mono and imagine To decipher Sean McDemotts pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

The Bills certainly are a candidate for regression, but it’s hard not to like the program your GM is building. 

From an outsiders perspective I think fans on this board are significantly underestimating the AFC East schedule this year. The Bills can easily have a better roster, but finish with a worst record.

Breakdown the Bills last year (not including Week 17 vs Jets)

Vs Teams 5 wins or under: 

5-0

Vs Teams 8 wins and under 

4-1

Vs Teams 9 wins and over (including playoffs)

1-5 

The only team the Bills beat that finished the year over .500 was the Titans before Tannehill was inserted in the lineup.

They also won games vs teams QBd by:

Sam Darnold playing with Mono

Brandon Allen

Duck Hodges 

Dwayne Haskins

The corpse of Eli Manning

Marcus Mariota 

Andy Dalton

Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 

Credit for winning the games you should win (Jets lost to Jacksonville, Miami, and Cincy), but next year is a different animal. 

I hope this year the Bills can get credit for winning the games we should win, because we have 11 of them on the schedule (according to Vegas).

As for QBs, you will be able to make a list next year (and every year):

R Fitz x2 (or Tua)

Stidham x2

S Darnold (insert excuse here, but he is just mediocre at best) x2

The corpse of  P Rivers

The corpse of B Roth

D Lock

D Carr (similar to A Dalton)

As for the AFC East comment w the Bills having a better team but a worse record, please remember the Bills only went 3-3 in the division last year.  And while you claim the other teams have gotten better, what you really mean is the Jets and Miami have added new players.  It looks like the Jets have just recycled mediocre parts - Perriman and the like while Miami has added a ton of what could be better pieces.  But Miami has a long way to go and has too many new pieces.  And you certainly can't be including New England who no one thinks is better this year. 

The Bills have made incremental concrete improvements on offense- Diggs as WR1 and Moss>Gore.  Plus a year for the majority of the group to grow and gell - in particular J Allen, the O Cordinator, the Oline, and Knox.  The Bills will be better.

So yes, the Bills will have a better roster, but finish with a worse AFC East record?  Worse than 3-3, so 2-4?  Come on now, no way.

9 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

The Bills certainly are a candidate for regression, but it’s hard not to like the program your GM is building. 

From an outsiders perspective I think fans on this board are significantly underestimating the AFC East schedule this year. The Bills can easily have a better roster, but finish with a worst record.

Breakdown the Bills last year (not including Week 17 vs Jets)

Vs Teams 5 wins or under: 

5-0

Vs Teams 8 wins and under 

4-1

Vs Teams 9 wins and over (including playoffs)

1-5 

The only team the Bills beat that finished the year over .500 was the Titans before Tannehill was inserted in the lineup.

They also won games vs teams QBd by:

Sam Darnold playing with Mono

Brandon Allen

Duck Hodges 

Dwayne Haskins

The corpse of Eli Manning

Marcus Mariota 

Andy Dalton

Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 

Credit for winning the games you should win (Jets lost to Jacksonville, Miami, and Cincy), but next year is a different animal. 

I outlined the lack of facing quality QB's in 2019 in another thread. I also think most Bills fans are underestimating this seasons schedule and perhaps this FO is also...

With the Bills 2019 offensive line grading 21st and no significant upgrades, I question if continuity along with more experience for RT Cody Ford will make that much difference. There are real flaws in the current line and with no OTA's and who knows what kind of training camp with will see with everything that is currently going on. 

Darnold, Tua or Fitz, Goff*, Tannehill, Mahomes*, Darnold, Stidham or Hoyer, Russell Wilson*, Kyler Murry, Justin Herbert or Tyrod Taylor, Garoppolo, Big Ben*, Drew Lock, Stidham, Tua. 

Currently the Buffalo Bills have the 5th ranked toughest schedule in the NFL for 2020. The only good thing about that is NE has #1, Jets #2, Dolphins #3. 

I would have a different view on things if the Bills signed 3x pro bowl ex Saints OG Larry Warford,  and or DE Jadeveon Clowny. The Bills need more pass rush to get to some of those QB's they will face in 2020. A better line to take pressure off that young QB.

Then again, I could be all wrong and the line and pass rush improves with the players added this off season. We will see. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Darnold was literally playing with Mono. I don’t care if it is Aaron Rodgers-if he’s playing with Mono it’s noteworthy. This is the NFL for god sakes! Read the symptoms of Mono and imagine To decipher Sean McDemotts pass rush. 

I'll say it again, he wasn't even aware he had mono.  

I had mono in high school, I wasn't even aware I had it either.   I had to miss games as well, for the same reason.  (enlarged spleen that could rupture if hit wrong) 

The point remains, it doesn't matter he had mono, its irrelevant as to the Qb talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

The Jets did one thing and one thing only in that game: completely choke away a game they had in the bag. Darnold's situation pales in comparison to that.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know that any rookies will start day 1, but I have a hunch that Horrible Harry will start eventually and be very solid. Epenesa may win a starting job soon enough too, but Trent Murrphy is not as bad as some think. He's just not much of a pass rusher. I don't think Addison will be a starter, but he'll get plenty of snaps. Our DE position is deep in talent, but lacks top-end talent. My biggest hope for the front 7 is that Oliver and Edmunds both take a very big step in 2020. I know Edmunds went to the probowl, but he's really not all that good yet. Hopefully this is a breakout year for him. At CB, I say someone has to beat out Wallace. Norman's performance level has been falling rapidly since 2017 and he's in his mid 30's. Gaines is injury prone and overrated in this forum. That will be an interesting battle to watch. Taron Johnson could also lose his job if he doesn't start stepping up his game too. At OLB, Klein is nothing special, but he's instinctive and plays smart. I don't see him getting a ton of snaps though.

The right side of the OL is a real weak spot. Ford is another guy that concerns me. I really think he'd be much better of at G. Feliciano would be solid depth. Williams was great before he shredded his knee and he was terrible last year. I'm actually surprised they signed him. Nsekhe isn't really a starter either. I don't understand why the OL didn't get more attention with all the cap space we had. The left side of the OL is a little better than the right side, but we don't really have any OL that are anywhere close to elite. They're all pretty average. That's pretty true of the whole roster other than White, Hyde, Poyer and Diggs.

Of course Allen is the biggest question mark. He needs to make hugh strides this year or we will need to at least find someone to compete for his job. If last year was his best, we won't be in the playoffs this year. Our schedule went from bottom 5 to top 5, so he really needs to be a MUCH better passer.

Edited by GreggTX

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I don't know that any rookies will start day 1, but I have a hunch that Horrible Harry will start eventually and be very solid. Epenesa may win a starting job soon enough too, but Trent Murrphy is not as bad as some think. He's just not much of a pass rusher. I don't think Addison will be a starter, but he'll get plenty of snaps. Our DE position is deep in talent, but lacks top-end talent. My biggest hope for the front 7 is that Oliver and Edmunds both take a very big step in 2020. I know Edmunds went to the probowl, but he's really not all that good yet. Hopefully this is a breakout year for him. At CB, I say someone has to beat out Wallace. Norman's performance level has been falling rapidly since 2017 and he's in his mid 30's. Gaines is injury prone and overrated in this forum. That will be an interesting battle to watch. Taron Johnson could also lose his job if he doesn't start stepping up his game too. At OLB, Klein is nothing special, but he's instinctive and plays smart. I don't see him getting a ton of snaps though.

The right side of the OL is a real weak spot. Ford is another guy that concerns me. I really think he'd be much better of at G. Feliciano would be solid depth. Williams was great before he shredded his knee and he was terrible last year. I'm actually surprised they signed him. Nsekhe isn't really a starter either. I don't understand why the OL didn't get more attention with all the cap space we had. The left side of the OL is a little better than the right side, but we don't really have any OL that are anywhere close to elite. They're all pretty average. That's pretty true of the whole roster other than White, Hyde, Poyer and Diggs.

Of course Allen is the biggest question mark. He needs to make hugh strides this year or we will need to at least find someone to compete for his job. If last year was his best, we won't be in the playoffs this year. Our schedule went from bottom 5 to top 5, so he really needs to be a MUCH better passer.

I disagree with almost everything you wrote here

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

I think GreggTX raises a number of valid concerns. I don't really agree, but I cannot tell him he's wrong about his takes.

1. Trent Murphy is as bad as most think and is ONLY useful in pass rush and 

2. he probably won’t make the team

3. Edmunds is really good already, he’s the 3rd best player on a top defense

4 Norman will start over Wallace

5. Taron Johnson is an important piece in nickel and is 100% not losing his job

6. Nsheke is fine

7. ‘The whole roster outside White Hyde Poyer Diggs is average’ is complete nonsense

8. Allen does not need to make ‘huge strides’ to prevent his job being in danger 

15 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I hope this year the Bills can get credit for winning the games we should win, because we have 11 of them on the schedule (according to Vegas).

As for QBs, you will be able to make a list next year (and every year):

R Fitz x2 (or Tua)

Stidham x2

S Darnold (insert excuse here, but he is just mediocre at best) x2

The corpse of  P Rivers

The corpse of B Roth

D Lock

D Carr (similar to A Dalton)

As for the AFC East comment w the Bills having a better team but a worse record, please remember the Bills only went 3-3 in the division last year.  And while you claim the other teams have gotten better, what you really mean is the Jets and Miami have added new players.  It looks like the Jets have just recycled mediocre parts - Perriman and the like while Miami has added a ton of what could be better pieces.  But Miami has a long way to go and has too many new pieces.  And you certainly can't be including New England who no one thinks is better this year. 

The Bills have made incremental concrete improvements on offense- Diggs as WR1 and Moss>Gore.  Plus a year for the majority of the group to grow and gell - in particular J Allen, the O Cordinator, the Oline, and Knox.  The Bills will be better.

So yes, the Bills will have a better roster, but finish with a worse AFC East record?  Worse than 3-3, so 2-4?  Come on now, no way.

I’m not going to get into the semantics. It’s one thing to play losing teams 10/16 times, but I don’t see the Giants, Redskins, 2019 Dolphins, and Bengals on the schedule this year. You have to admit the 2019 Bills also caught some teams at the right time (Brandon Allen and Duck Hodges are not even backup worthy). 

I could be wrong as some teams could be worse than I expect, but on paper it’s a really tough schedule. 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:19 AM, YoloinOhio said:

With the 2020 NFL Draft and most of free agency in the rearview, Gregg Rosenthal will project starting lineups for all 32 teams because that's his idea of fun. Check out the AFC East breakdowns below.

Flag on play - link is broken now.

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think GreggTX raises a number of valid concerns. I don't really agree, but I cannot tell him he's wrong about his takes.

You can't? You can respond via Facebook, Twit-ter or Email.  Has he blocked you at each of these already like TBD posters have?

image.png.66e366d004761a5a9e8ef83a2788dd87.png

On 5/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, JetsFan20 said:

I think the Bills matchup really well with Baltimore. The adjustment I think teams make against them is playing more of a bend but don’t break. 

Look at what the Titans did to them. They allowed the Ravens a ton of yardage, but without the quick strike they couldn’t score many points. That’s because their style of play chews up a ton of clock. If you can let them chew up 5-6 minutes a drive and force a FG attempts instead of TDs that’s how you can hang with them. 

I’ve never seen a team drop more passes than Baltimore did in that game.  It should have been a blowout.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/14/2020 at 2:26 AM, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not going to get into the semantics. It’s one thing to play losing teams 10/16 times, but I don’t see the Giants, Redskins, 2019 Dolphins, and Bengals on the schedule this year. You have to admit the 2019 Bills also caught some teams at the right time (Brandon Allen and Duck Hodges are not even backup worthy). 

I could be wrong as some teams could be worse than I expect, but on paper it’s a really tough schedule. 

How'd the Jets do with the same schedule?