Owners Approve Proposal to Start Major League Baseball in July

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/major-league-baseball-owners-approve-plan-to-start-season-in-july/article_6d80d0e8-504e-53f3-8288-940687599ae8.html#utm_source=stltoday.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=c5590820a663cb96ab50a2bdbd89f76bb26c24f7

Major League Baseball owners gave the go-ahead Monday to making a proposal to the players’ union that could lead to the coronavirus-delayed season starting around the Fourth of July weekend in ballparks without fans, a plan that envisioned expanding the designated hitter to the National League for 2020.

Spring training would start in early to mid-June, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the plan were not announced.

MLB officials are slated to make a presentation to the union on Tuesday. An agreement with the players' association is needed, and talks are expected to be difficult — especially over a proposal for a revenue split that would be unprecedented for baseball.

I assume this is related to the antibody study that was conducted.  I find the results a little bit surprising, frankly, as epidemiologists estimate that overall in the USA 2-4% of the population has probably been infected, and antibody studies seem to bear this out.  So it implies that MLB players and employees are infected at 1/4 to 1/2 the rate of the general population.  
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/497117-less-than-1-percent-of-major-league-baseball

It has me wondering a bit what antibody test was used  - it states "The survey kits have a 0.5 percent false positive rate" (that's "selectivity" in testing terms) but some kits have poor sensitivity, or false negative rates in layman's terms (the one used on my daughter only 67%!!!!!)

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Owners Approve Proposal to Start Major League Baseball in July

"... a plan that envisioned expanding the designated hitter to the National League for 2020."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"... a plan that envisioned expanding the designated hitter to the National League for 2020."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little of that compressed 'air in a can' can free up those sticky keyboard keys.  Also, avoid eating over the keyboard.  Crumbs are a no-no.

As long as this will be an asterisk of a season, whatdya think about steroids and lively baseballs?  Juiced players, juiced baseballs!  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A little of that compressed 'air in a can' can free up those sticky keyboard keys.  Also, avoid eating over the keyboard.  Crumbs are a no-no.

As long as this will be an asterisk of a season, whatdya think about steroids and lively baseballs?  Juiced players, juiced baseballs!  ?

For one season only unlimited steroid usage. See if someone can break Bonds record in 80 games by averaging a HR a game. LOL

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Not a MLB fan but I would become one at least temporarily. More importantly hopefully would open the door for other sports (NFL!!)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29162217/owners-approve-mlb-season-proposal-plan-july-start-players-union-preps-weigh-it

Stupid morons... God Americans are more stupid than ever.... risk dying over sports. All it will take is just one player, and it's all over. Cases will just go up in many places because people don't take it seriously.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

24 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

For one season only unlimited steroid usage. See if someone can break Bonds record in 80 games by averaging a HR a game. LOL

I was hoping for an actual discussion of the proposal to start the MLB season in July after a short June training camp, in stadiums without fans and with some teams playing home games at "away" stadiums

Silly me!

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Stupid morons... God Americans are more stupid than ever.... risk dying over sports. All it will take is just one player, and it's all over. Cases will just go up in many places because people don't take it seriously.

I dont think you can say  paint all Americans as stupid over this. Do Americans want it? Probably most, but these leagues are greedy or maybe missing a season puts them in serious financial harm. I dunno. But this is the leagues brass and players association doing this, not Joe the plumber.

39 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Many people don't take it seriously now so it's not like a baseball game will chaonge things.

It's a "Plan" for July not like that said "Next week we will be playing baseball again and let all the fans in" calm the ***** down!

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Many people don't take it seriously now so it's not like a baseball game will chaonge things.

It's a "Plan" for July not like that said "Next week we will be playing baseball again and let all the fans in" calm the ***** down!

Not even a good plan and it sounds like the players are planning to oppose it - so unless they figure it out - it will not be a blueprint for anything.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was hoping for an actual discussion of the proposal to start the MLB season in July after a short June training camp, in stadiums without fans and with some teams playing home games at "away" stadiums

Silly me!

I'm close to getting to reading the article.  I can't wait to discuss this!

@Hardhatharry, I am actually serious!!

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not even a good plan and it sounds like the players are planning to oppose it - so unless they figure it out - it will not be a blueprint for anything.

That's fine by me, baseball doesn't get interesting till October anyway.

53 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

when you’re done clutching your pearls, let us know!

In reading the article, it certainly seems like the players are not likely to be on board with this proposal. I don't think, if baseball is to re-open, it will be based on this current proposal. Perhaps it is just a starting point. With major market teams in hard hit big cities like NYC and Chicago, I have a hard time envisioning a re-opening with fans involved as soon as July.

Edited by BubbaT

Alright ... I've read it.

The only thing I like about it is that there would be baseball.

My preference would be that the championship series at the end of the season would NOT be called the World Series.  This scheduling, and the ridiculous amount of postseason teams, is too radical to pretend that the end of it is a legitimate World Series.  It wouldn't be.

I can see a lot of players opting out/refusing to play, too.

Doolittle's concern is legitimate.  If one player from a team tests positive during the season, then the entire team would likely have to sit for two weeks.  That, alone, would blow the whole thing up.

I love baseball and I miss it A LOT.  I just don't see how this is possible and after reading it, I'm wondering the same about the NFL season.

This sucks.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Alright ... I've read it.

The only thing I like about it is that there would be baseball.

My preference would be that the championship series at the end of the season would NOT be called the World Series.  This scheduling, and the ridiculous amount of postseason teams, is too radical to pretend that the end of it is a legitimate World Series.  It wouldn't be.

I can see a lot of players opting out/refusing to play, too.

Doolittle's concern is legitimate.  If one player from a team tests positive during the season, then the entire team would likely have to sit for two weeks.  That, alone, would blow the whole thing up.

I love baseball and I miss it A LOT.  I just don't see how this is possible and after reading it, I'm wondering the same about the NFL season.

This sucks.

I don’t see how this is possible, or how the nfl is possible this year

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Silly me!

I apologize if I sidetracked your post. just trying a little levity during this pandemic. No bigger ball fan than me, here's to hoping we get back for something this summer. And, no I'm not a fan of steroid usage at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, RiotAct said:

when you’re done clutching your pearls, let us know!

Tell that to all NFL coaches's face... I bet you're one of those "very special people" who are upset because they can't get their nails done.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2891184-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-nfls-plan-to-steam-ahead-has-coaches-worried?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan