Fauci: virus will decide season

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am pretty sure that local and state governments have more power than the NFL in deciding when gatherings of 80,000 fans can take place in their backyard again and last I checked Fauci was still part of the President's team advising the nation on re-opening procedures.  I think hes involved in guiding public policy due to his 40 something years as a leading voice in the study of infectious disease including advising every sitting president since Reagan. 

The thing is, Fauci doesn't need to say that if the season were to start tomorrow, there would be no season.

We know that already.

He doesn't have to state the incredibly obvious to us. Which to me shows how little he thinks of the American public.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The thing is, Fauci doesn't need to say that if the season were to start tomorrow, there would be no season.

We know that already.

He doesn't have to state the incredibly obvious to us. Which to me shows how little he thinks of the American public.

You can't just take that one sentence fragment out of the context of a much larger interview, and make some generalization that he is stating the "incredibly obvious," and then imply that he thinks little of the American people. Sorry, Mark, but that's pretty disingenuous.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If Wrong Josh got COVID-19, could he still throw a football out of the stadium? 

Would depend upon how severe a case he got. 

There are 23 yr olds who don't know they caught anything.

Then there are those like this patient:

"I am a Covid ICU nurse in New York City, and yesterday, like many other days lately, I couldn’t fix my patient. Sure, that happens all the time in the ICU. It definitely wasn’t the first time. It certainly won’t be the last. What makes this patient noteworthy? A few things, actually. He was infected with Covid 19, and he lost his battle with Covid 19. He was only 23 years old.  I was destroyed by his clinical course in a way that has only happened a few times in my nursing career. It wasn’t his presentation. I’ve seen that before. It wasn’t his complications. I’ve seen that too.  It was the grief. It was his parents. The grief I witnessed yesterday, was grief that I haven’t allowed myself to recognize since this runaway train got rolling here in early March. I could sense it. It was lingering in the periphery of my mind, but yesterday something in me gave way, and that grief rushed in."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

You can't just take that one sentence fragment out of the context of a much larger interview, and make some generalization that he is stating the "incredibly obvious," and then imply that he thinks little of the American people. Sorry, Mark, but that's pretty disingenuous.

I don't know how else to take it.

I feel secure in the knowledge that a good amount of people know that football could not have a season if said season were to begin tomorrow.

Fauci doesn't really need to tell us all that, does he?

In good news, I *know* there are other sports that are working to "open" this year, so there will be some case studies on the "quarantine everyone together for a while to run the season".

Unfortunately, one of the biggest situations in which the virus can spread is when people are packed close together, yelling and screaming.  Doesn't bode well for packed stadiums, IMO. 

Like Augie said, there's still time, we'll see how it all plays out...

I personally love watching people be allowed to flood into building supply stores, Walmart’s, and the local dollar general, while the 300 member gym I’ve built from scratch over the last 7 years sits collecting dust and bills.... the gym that never sees more than 10-15 people in it at one time anyways and had sanitation measures in place before this whole deal ever started. I havnt seen a dime in 2 months but hey, at least I can go spend my KOHLS cash!!!! 

..... something smells. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't know how else to take it.

I feel secure in the knowledge that a good amount of people know that football could not have a season if said season were to begin tomorrow.

Fauci doesn't really need to tell us all that, does he?

Maybe if you read the article, you'd see that he's saying quite a bit more.

Also, what's the inference here? That he shouldn't do the interview? Shouldn't answer the questions? I have heard him state, btw, in numerous interviews, that he is not in any position to set policy anywhere, for anybody. He is just director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases doing his job. Peter King of NBC sports interviews him, and asks him questions, and he answered them-- fairly, and rationally, IMO.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I have immense respect for the man. But his job is healthcare. There are quite a few other aspects to this entire thing.

And, he clearly doesn't understand that we've waited 20 years for a Brady-less division foe, and a team that can really contend.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll just say that I think a lot of people vastly underestimate the difficulty of playing a season of NFL football.

As Fauci says, if two players on a team test positive, you've got a problem. The likelihood that several more teammates and coaches also have it is high. To see what this looks like in action, see: NBA.

Just saying "if a player tests positive, you quarantine him, and you're good to go" shows a lack of understanding of how this virus works.

I believe the NFL will start the 2020 season. I do not believe they'll get through the season, however. They'll either have to stop for a good chunk of time or stop altogether. They'll be making similar decisions to those now facing the NBA and MLB. If we're making too-early predictions, that's mine.

I don’t know, I’m thinking if one player tests positive you don’t need to quarantine the entire team. That’s the point of regular testing, if everyone else is negative, I don’t see them quarantining the entire team. 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I personally love watching people be allowed to flood into building supply stores, Walmart’s, and the local dollar general, while the 300 member gym I’ve built from scratch over the last 7 years sits collecting dust and bills.... the gym that never sees more than 10-15 people in it at one time anyways and had sanitation measures in place before this whole deal ever started. I havnt seen a dime in 2 months but hey, at least I can go spend my KOHLS cash!!!! 

..... something smells. 

I feel for you, it’s not right. You can’t go golfing, no drive in movies, but l’ve never seen home improvement stores, discount retailers, and grocery busier in my life. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wonder who has more power in this situation? Fauci or the NFL? I’m pretty confident, if the NFL wants to play, they are going to play. I could be wrong but we shall see I guess.

NFL didn’t care about players getting concussions. I’m fairly certain they don’t care about them getting covid. I don’t want players running the risk of dying for our entertainment 

1 minute ago, major said:

NFL didn’t care about players getting concussions. I’m fairly certain they don’t care about them getting covid. I don’t want players running the risk of dying for our entertainment 

They’ll be tested on a regular basis. They aren’t risking their lives anymore than the millions of Americans who work for peanuts everyday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some people need to realize that there is a possibility that both things can be true:

This is a real crisis worth taking seriously

POS scum people with their hands in big farma and gov are taking advantage of it. 

Also so I hope the season starts.  

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll just say that I think a lot of people vastly underestimate the difficulty of playing a season of NFL football.

As Fauci says, if two players on a team test positive, you've got a problem. The likelihood that several more teammates and coaches also have it is high. To see what this looks like in action, see: NBA.

Just saying "if a player tests positive, you quarantine him, and you're good to go" shows a lack of understanding of how this virus works.

I believe the NFL will start the 2020 season. I do not believe they'll get through the season, however. They'll either have to stop for a good chunk of time or stop altogether. They'll be making similar decisions to those now facing the NBA and MLB. If we're making too-early predictions, that's mine.

That’s my prediction as well.  

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

1968-69 H3N2 pandemic

America did not shut down let alone for months . Woodstock took place right in the middle of it

It is time for life to continue. Viruses are a part of life you can't shut down for 6 months

Pssssst.  Show me the news clippings from when the 1968 H3N2 pandemic filled up the ERs and ICUs like covid-19 has done in every city where its' allowed to spread unchecked.  While we're at it, explain the differences in basic transmission rate and infectious period, that make covid-19 so much more contagious?

Actually, Don't Here, but the point is it's a faulty comparison.  H3N2 killed 100,000 Americans over an 18 month period, and that's considering excess deaths, which we aren't yet looking at for covid-19.  We're rockin' 80,000 Americans dead in 2.5 months, and that's not counting the excess deaths from patients who stroked out at home or died without being tested for covid-19.  Bit of a difference.

Does the country have to reopen, Yes, absolutely - the shut-downs were intended to knock the peak down and to give time to build testing, PPE, and hospital capacity. 

Is it appropriate to say "viruses are part of life", compare covid-19 to flu, and return to business as usual, Um no, not so much.

Do I got answers on a football season?  Nope, need data - what happens as we reopen?  What happens in the clinical trials, will we find something?  Big difference if it's found giving anyone who tests positive a 3 day course of some drug clears viral titer and makes them non-infectious, or if there's a clear treatment protocol that allows, say, 70% of the hospitalized patients to be discharged after a week and kept off the vents.  Too many unknowns.

23 minutes ago, major said:

The players will probably be fine - most of them.  I'm guessing, but these guys are young, fit, strong, think they're immortal - if you ask them do they want to take the risk, betting most would be "Hell Yeah!"

Many of the coaches, on the other hand, seem to look like the posterboys for "High Risk Patient Profile".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

follow the money.... follow the money...............................follow the money........................>.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-studying-coronavirus/

There are hundreds of these articles from news outlets. Tell me again why this guy should make the call on the NFL's business. This is a decision for the owners and NFLPA. They decide.  No one can force the players to play, but if they want to, it is their right and no one's constitutional rights should be governed. That why we have the constitution. 

Let me guess, you like Kool Aid. Rational people question the BS they are being fed by both sides of the argument. I just don't see any reason to empower or trust Fauci to make decisions for all of us. 

Yes, instead, let the super ignorant out for only their self interests, make the decisions now, again.  Ignore the science, the facts, the experts.

It is the same philosophy that will already cause 130, 000?  150,000? American deaths. 

Might as well further dig our heels in to one of the most incompetent, negligent, and immoral acts in human history.

Looking to raise the ante, 200,000? 250, 000?

• Thank you (+1) 1