Does Isaiah Hodgins have the frame to put on weight?

22 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Would not the Strength and Conditioning Team get to work with these guys during the "virtual" sessions?

I know it's not as good as face to face at OBD but it would help.

Would it help? Sure. I don't see why not. But still. It's very difficult to track body composition and macronutrients (proper balance between proteins, carbs, and fats) remotely. Also, what kind of gym and equipment does he have access to?

I'm not saying he can't put on significant muscle. Hell, I don't even know if he should. All I'm saying is that it would be difficult given the current circumstances. Like I said, gaining 10 lbs of muscle is hard work, especially for ectomorphs like Hodgins, even with the proper support.

23 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Those guys are fast

Its not going to be Hodgins game.....he is going to have to make contested catches/make basketball plays.

To play devil’s advocate - Moss was an exceptional athlete for his entire career, but his twilight success had very little to do with his speed compared to his ability to recognize coverages and run his routes accordingly. Having Brady certainly helped as well. Thomas very much has the speed still, but he plays physical and with a similar acumen for identifying soft zone coverage, and playing against his DB and FS in man. Brees throwing the ball has also helped.

For Hodgins, it’ll be more than just his size that determines his success, and adding weight isn’t always a solution even when the frame permits it. His hands are his greatest asset presently, and does have athletic ability to contest for the catch.

Just a fun tidbit regarding his speed fwiw - a friend (Bills fan and US Track coach based in Portland, OR) actually pointed out something interesting. Hodgins actually loses power in his running stride b/c his feet naturally face outward in a “V” shape, and loses “vector drive” and “planting power” to generate speed as a result. I’m not going to pretend to understand the science behind it, but the logic is that you generate optimal speed on a single vector so it’s otherwise wasted movement/energy in the direction of his stride, and doesn’t aid in propelling him forward. Not to say “that’s it” in regard to his lesser speed either, but it’s at least visible in his highlights and combine. Apparently, correcting this otherwise “natural” motion that his body and muscles have developed around isn’t an overnight process either. 

On 5/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, John from Riverside said:

Those guys are fast

Its not going to be Hodgins game.....he is going to have to make contested catches/make basketball plays.

I agree with this. If you’ve watched the ESPN ‘Last Dance’ on Jordan, he recognized this and put forth the effort to put on the required muscle mass. 

The rest, as they say, is history. I hope this kids history will be written as even a sliver of Jordan’s. ? 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, John from Riverside said:

Looking at Isaiah he sits at what 6 foot 4 inches 209 pounds

I am wondering if he has the frame type to ber able to add weight/muscle to his frame.  Not tight end weight I know he is a receiver but just the frame to get a little bigger stronger without losing speed.

There were some posters that were very good at evaluating this on the board in the past......yes he is a great hands catcher......but going to go against some very physical corners/safeties in the pros

What do you think?

...I think he's 21 years old and probably still growing....let him develop at his own pace with no set trainer schedule to definitely add weight.....if and a BIG IF, didn't OBD embark on a crusade to get McGahee to bulk up to 240?.....which I seem to remember was a flop.....

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

To play devil’s advocate - Moss was an exceptional athlete for his entire career, but his twilight success had very little to do with his speed compared to his ability to recognize coverages and run his routes accordingly. Having Brady certainly helped as well. Thomas very much has the speed still, but he plays physical and with a similar acumen for identifying soft zone coverage, and playing against his DB and FS in man. Brees throwing the ball has also helped.

For Hodgins, it’ll be more than just his size that determines his success, and adding weight isn’t always a solution even when the frame permits it. His hands are his greatest asset presently, and does have athletic ability to contest for the catch.

Just a fun tidbit regarding his speed fwiw - a friend (Bills fan and US Track coach based in Portland, OR) actually pointed out something interesting. Hodgins actually loses power in his running stride b/c his feet naturally face outward in a “V” shape, and loses “vector drive” and “planting power” to generate speed as a result. I’m not going to pretend to understand the science behind it, but the logic is that you generate optimal speed on a single vector so it’s otherwise wasted movement/energy in the direction of his stride, and doesn’t aid in propelling him forward. Not to say “that’s it” in regard to his lesser speed either, but it’s at least visible in his highlights and combine. Apparently, correcting this otherwise “natural” motion that his body and muscles have developed around isn’t an overnight process either. 

Hodgins should spend some time in Don Beebe's "House of Speed". His organization has helped many players refine their game.  Read some of the testimonials. 

Hodgins will never be a fast or flashy player, but his 40 time might not be representative of his true game speed. Josh ran a 4.75 at the combine and yet we've seen him run circles around LBs and safeties on many occasions. I do think Hodgins has some quickness and good footwork to set up and trick DBs to get open. 

Hodgins' strengths are his height, route running, and top of the class shuttle and 3 cone times. He's shown that he catches everything thrown his way and I think he can be coached up to improve his separation (having Diggs, Brown, and Beasley to learn from doesn't hurt either!). 

I'm really hoping that he has a strong preseason in whatever form that takes and earns a roster spot, proving to be an upgrade over Duke. 

• Like (+1) 1