Does Isaiah Hodgins have the frame to put on weight?

Looking at Isaiah he sits at what 6 foot 4 inches 209 pounds

I am wondering if he has the frame type to ber able to add weight/muscle to his frame.  Not tight end weight I know he is a receiver but just the frame to get a little bigger stronger without losing speed.

There were some posters that were very good at evaluating this on the board in the past......yes he is a great hands catcher......but going to go against some very physical corners/safeties in the pros

What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s important to remember how young these guys are and they will certainly progress physically, particularly under the tutelage of a professional level strength and conditioning program. 

All that being said, yup, I think he’ll be able to ‘expand’ and man I love those hands! ?. The guy doesn’t drop anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can he gain 10lbs of solid weight? Yes. He's not a speedy guy anyway. And he's not the guy, right now anyway, to gain separation by himself. I envision him in the slot making contested catches. So gaining muscle may be good for him.

I think his biggest obstacle is Covid 19. It's hard to gain 10lbs of muscle. But it's even harder to do it without help. Monitoring calorie intake, macros, and a proper weight training regimen. I don't think the bills training staff will be able to help much right now. 

6 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Can he gain 10lbs of solid weight? Yes. He's not a speedy guy anyway. And he's not the guy, right now anyway, to gain separation by himself. I envision him in the slot making contested catches. So gaining muscle may be good for him.

I think his biggest obstacle is Covid 19. It's hard to gain 10lbs of muscle. But it's even harder to do it without help. Monitoring calorie intake, macros, and a proper weight training regimen. I don't think the bills training staff will be able to help much right now. 

Would not the Strength and Conditioning Team get to work with these guys during the "virtual" sessions?

I know it's not as good as face to face at OBD but it would help.

• Like (+1) 2

He has to make the roster first.

And guys like Thomas and Moss don't just blow by DBs on most catches.  Plenty are contested and a guy as tall as Hodgins is 4 inches or more taller than most of the guys covering him.  For instance, he's got 4 inches and 20 lbs on Poyer.  He and Hyde are the only 6 foot DBs on the team, as an example.

50 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

I wouldn't doubt the training staff knows what to do if they want him to gain weight. I would rather see what he does at his natural weight first.

I think this is the most likely way it will go with him, it is as well likely as he will naturally gain five ish pounds of muscle over the next year or so as a matter of course. So I see no real urgency  for him to get heavier. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Looking at Isaiah he sits at what 6 foot 4 inches 209 pounds

I am wondering if he has the frame type to ber able to add weight/muscle to his frame.  Not tight end weight I know he is a receiver but just the frame to get a little bigger stronger without losing speed.

There were some posters that were very good at evaluating this on the board in the past......yes he is a great hands catcher......but going to go against some very physical corners/safeties in the pros

What do you think?

I don't think he needs to get heavier - he needs functional strength.  Explosiveness.  Football speed.  

Pretty much all of that stuff is the reason WRs take time to acclimate to the NFL. All of that needs to improve, as well as mastering the position to the point where it becomes a reflex, not a thought process.  How many guys come out and struggle with press coverage, how to use leverage to get open, blocking, play books etc. 

I feel like rookies can get overflowed with all this information about what they're doing on a given play that it bleeds into the play - they're thinking about what they need to do on a given snap, not playing football.  That's why i think he ends up on PS or IR if they think there's a lot of potential there.  Cant teach hands - and he's got those.  

Well there is a lot that can be done with route running.

Steve Johnson ran mid 4.50’s and got open on Sherman and Revis.

If he can master stick and go’s, and learn to break off his routes, I think that will go a long way.

What is a realistic speed improvement? 4.61 to a 4.55 or so? 

Are we thinking the increased strength helps him break through physical coverage and redirect? 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Those guys are fast

Its not going to be Hodgins game.....he is going to have to make contested catches/make basketball plays.

Michael Thomas times at 4.57 in the 40.  Hodgins had a 4.61 at the combine.  That's not a huge difference.  Hodgins does need to learn how to be more physical and he needs to get stronger.  If he does that, his ceiling may be higher than some give him credit for.

I don't know what I'd do with Hodgins to help him separate. With Davis it is obvious there is some improvement to be gained in his get off and his route precision. Hodgins can run a route.... he just doesn't separate. There is only so much of a career you can have catching jump balls.