Who has the most dangerous defense in the AFC? GMFB

So much of that perception can come from a defense that has the benefit of playing with a lead. We frequently struggle to get off to a quick start. I think if we build up some early leads we could see the turnovers and sacks get a nice bump up. Kind of depends on how conservative McD and Frazier would play with a lead though.

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

They were actually pretty good down the stretch last year. Only allowed >20 points once in their last 5 games of the regular season. They also were top 5 in INT's.

I don't agree with them being the best defense in the AFC but they are underrated.

The Ravens added two ILB’s and a great DE in Campbell. I think their defense got better than ours this offseason.

The Bills, Ravens and 9ers are definitely the top 3 IMO.  I think it's really about what I expect from Oliver and Phillips.  I'm probably being a homer but I'm thinking something close to A. Donald lined up next to Kyle Williams.  With what in my opinion will be the best secondary in the league and one of the best LB Cores as well.  

17 hours ago, Happy said:

Ravens played the AFCW (Chiefs) and NFCW and beat all the NFCW teams while losing to the Chiefs.  Their 2019 schedule was much tougher than ours.

I do think we improved via FA and draft.  Just have to translate that to the field.

They also should have lost to us head-to-head.  We shut down the #1 and 2 offenses in the league last season. 

They played well against the Falcons but not as well against NO an not well against KC.  

Why is even on our own board people want people want to discount the Bills because of schedule without looking deeper.  They won those games because their O was better than ours.

We weren't ranked #1 but we had the best D in the NFL last season and that isn't me being a homer.

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They also should have lost to us head-to-head.  We shut down the #1 and 2 offenses in the league last season. 

They played well against the Falcons but not as well against NO an not well against KC.  

Why is even on our own board people want people want to discount the Bills because of schedule without looking deeper.  They won those games because their O was better than ours.

We weren't ranked #1 but we had the best D in the NFL last season and that isn't me being a homer.

Ravens should have lost to us head to head?  Well they didn't.  We did a good job containing Lamar, but ultimately couldn't pull it out, and that is what matters...like it or not.  The Bills should have beat the Texans in the playoffs, but they didn't because the offense sucked and the defense collapsed.

The Ravens never played any of the NFCS teams in 2019.  They played the NFCW and AFCE.  They played a harder schedule and their record was better than ours, this cannot be argued.

It's not discounting the Bills, but admitting that the product is not finished.  This is not a Super Bowl level team, yet.  Obviously the offense needs to come together as there are a few areas of concern there.  The defense needs to produce as far as takeaways, QB sacks, QB pressures, and consistent run stopping; none of these consistently occurred last year.  We relied on the secondary/pass defense which lead to this defense as being a strong bend-but-don't-break defense.  They allow teams to move the ball between the 20s but do a fairly good job at keeping them out of the endzone.  They need to put fear in the opposing QB; I believe the opposition respects them, but does not fear them - big difference.

It actually is you being a homer, with all due respect.  We were not the #1 defense.  Depending on where you look, it is SF or NE (hate to admit that).

Of course I disagree. 

We were number 1 passing , number 2 scoring and number 3 in yards. 

Lost Shaq and Phillips but massively upgraded the DL with Addison, Epensa , QJeff,Butler , healthy Phillips .

Lost Lorax , added Klein and basically have a 4th Rd rookie in Vosean Joseph . 

Lost Kevin Johnson , added Norman , Gaines , rookie . 

Our defense is going to be even better.  Love the continuity

3 hours ago, Happy said:

Ravens should have lost to us head to head?  Well they didn't.  We did a good job containing Lamar, but ultimately couldn't pull it out, and that is what matters...like it or not.  The Bills should have beat the Texans in the playoffs, but they didn't because the offense sucked and the defense collapsed.

The Ravens never played any of the NFCS teams in 2019.  They played the NFCW and AFCE.  They played a harder schedule and their record was better than ours, this cannot be argued.

It's not discounting the Bills, but admitting that the product is not finished.  This is not a Super Bowl level team, yet.  Obviously the offense needs to come together as there are a few areas of concern there.  The defense needs to produce as far as takeaways, QB sacks, QB pressures, and consistent run stopping; none of these consistently occurred last year.  We relied on the secondary/pass defense which lead to this defense as being a strong bend-but-don't-break defense.  They allow teams to move the ball between the 20s but do a fairly good job at keeping them out of the endzone.  They need to put fear in the opposing QB; I believe the opposition respects them, but does not fear them - big difference.

It actually is you being a homer, with all due respect.  We were not the #1 defense.  Depending on where you look, it is SF or NE (hate to admit that).

We're #2 scoring

#3 in yards. We're clearly very capable of being the #1 defense. 

But otherwise I agree , except their division was bad.

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

We're #2 scoring

#3 in yards. We're clearly very capable of being the #1 defense. 

But otherwise I agree , except their division was bad.

I agree that we are capable of being the #1 defense.  Need to get more out of the d-line for that to happen.  Hope the FA acquisitions and drafting of Epenesa gets us there.

If it's not Buffalo,  we're in trouble.  We need our defense to dominate. They did not last year. That's why we lost the playoff game and the NE game last year. Let see if McDermott's defense can win a bunch of games.  I believe in JA17 but he may be a year away from greatness. We don't need him to be great but we need our defense to be top 3.

15 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

So much of that perception can come from a defense that has the benefit of playing with a lead. We frequently struggle to get off to a quick start. I think if we build up some early leads we could see the turnovers and sacks get a nice bump up. Kind of depends on how conservative McD and Frazier would play with a lead though.

What I like with McD is that they tend to play aggressively until they get up 3 scores late in the game. The defense goes into prevent mode when the game is winding down and there is a comfortable lead only. They mostly stay fairly aggressive and within their initial gameplan until it really becomes a game of grinding down the clock. I would like to see the defense get more consistent pressure and not have any lapses in rushing defense like there was in the middle of last season. 

Overall I have no reason to believe that the defense can't be as good as it was last season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills pass rush can take a step up then we can become a dangerous defense.  I'm really hoping Ed Oliver can be our All-Pro stud that creates havoc and allows our other guys to step up and make more plays.  He really turned up the juice the second half of the season last year as a Rook so it looks promising.  

The Bills for sure have an elite defense. It is a top defense based on having alot of depth and cohesiveness rather than for example stellar pass rush.

They can match up well against alot of different kinds of teams. 

They also have high grade talent at key positions in the secondary. 

15 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

While the bills defense is top five IMO, it’s hard for me to describe it as “dangerous” ... They lack a fierce pass rush and they don’t generate a ton of turnovers, two factors that make a defense “fierce”

They force a fair amount of fumbles - usually in top 10 in that category.  That tends to result in about half recovered, give or take.  That's something i feel you can control a bit more. 

More pressure likely leads to more INTs, but we had a lot of batted balls last year and i dont think we caught a single one - ball just didn't bounce their way. 

From this morning, and mind this is from a Patriots fan blog, so take it with a grain of salt. What say you--should we be worried Belichick is ahead of the curve again on D?

https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/5/13/21256908/new-england-patriots-positionless-defense-copeland-phillips-dugger-uche-nfl-draft-free-agency