Who has the most dangerous defense in the AFC? GMFB

The Bills are the ultimate Bend but not Break Defense. They may not be superlative in any one category but are incredibly efficient in all other defensive aspects, especially points allowed which is obviously the most important. Balt, Buffalo, Pitt and NE are the best in the AFC IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I take no offense. I watched the segment this morning and it didn’t feel like they all answered “the best defense in the conference.” Brandt was giving the Chiefs a shoutout as an underrated unit it felt like. The Steelers unit is elite and the Chargers are loaded. We are in that conversation with those 2, the Pats, Ravens, and Broncos. There are a bunch of good defenses. We are one of them.

Homer or otherwise, why WOULDN'T the Bills be among the top defenses?  We have playmakers at every level. Secondary? ELITE! Linebacker corp? Edmunds and Milano. Defensive front? Oliver, Hughes, Addison, and now Epenesa. You can argue a lack of depth at LB but show me another team with defensive talent at our level? There aren't many.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Homer or otherwise, why WOULDN'T the Bills be among the top defenses?  We have playmakers at every level. Secondary? ELITE! Linebacker corp? Edmunds and Milano. Defensive front? Oliver, Hughes, Addison, and now Epenesa. You can argue a lack of depth at LB but show me another team with defensive talent at our level? There aren't many.

I guess why I don’t take issue is that they only picked 3. There are a handful of really good defenses in the AFC. We are one of them.

Our secondary has been amazing since McDermott and his coaches took over.  I would like to see a little more aggressiveness as far as blitzing is concerned.  Dropping 7 guys to the first down marker on third or fourth and long burned us against the Texans in OT.  Who ever started that defense anyways?  It used to be on a 3rd and long everyone was bringing the house and then some.  Our D line is going to be real tough this year.  Better against the run.  Oliver will have more experience.  Harry Phillips is coming back.  And Jordan Phillips was lousy against the run.  Epenesa will be very solid.  And I look for Vernon Butler and Quinton Jefferson to be very stout  in the middle as well.  Bringing in AJ Klein will help also.  And better D line play against the run should allow Edmunds and Millano to make more plays.    

Our defense will continue to do well.   Whether we are top 5 or top 10 won't matter.  We will be very solid.  The season will hinge on our offense finding its way.  Defense is important, but not nearly as important in today's game as a dominating offense.    

The Bills had the #2 ranked defense last season did they not? 

NE***, Buff then Balt.  

Sure individually you can point to Sack,  FF's etc.  but in the larger scheme 

13 passing TD's allowed

12 rushing TD's allowed

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

And this year... No Tom Brady 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I didn’t understand that one either. 

I don’t reall get the Chargers, either. If their D is so damn good, why are they NEVER in the playoffs and usually out of the running by mid Dec? Rivers wasn’t THAT bad.

another thing is, I feel like our defense was out on the field last season for more than most of the other teams’... largely due to long stretches of relative ineptitude by our offense.  So hopefully this season they’ll be able to rest on the sidelines a little more and be even more effective when called upon.

42 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t reall get the Chargers, either. If their D is so damn good, why are they NEVER in the playoffs and usually out of the running by mid Dec? Rivers wasn’t THAT bad.

I mean - All-pro safety James missed most of the year.  So they get him back.  They added Chris Harris to pair with Hayward.  Added that rookie MLB from Oklahoma.  Added Linval Joseph.   All that plus bosa and Ingram.  

They were ranked 6th in yards allowed last year without James and those additions.  They turned the ball over the 2nd most in the NFL while getting the fewest takeaways - a recipe for losses.  Improvements at LB and CB, with james coming back should help them improve.  

The offense couldn't run the ball at all last year, and rivers was a turnover machine.  They added turner and bulaga to help out oline, and even added kelley at RB.

They did all of this - while still drafting a QB at 5 overall.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

My choice would be the Steelers.

If Big Ben is any good at all I would put them at a contender level.

Agreed. 

They had no QB last year but their defense was still great. Give them a good QB to help put even more pressure on the opposing offenses and their defense will probably be #1 next year. Hopefully New England takes a big step backward.

5 hours ago, Happy said:

It would have to be Baltimore's defense, easily.  We should not be too far behind in AFC defensive rankings.

Easily?

I'd have them fourth behind Steelers, Patriots and Bills.

4 hours ago, Happy said:

Ravens played the AFCW (Chiefs) and NFCW and beat all the NFCW teams while losing to the Chiefs.  Their 2019 schedule was much tougher than ours.

I do think we improved via FA and draft.  Just have to translate that to the field.

The Browns torched them but I guess every defense has a bad day. In their own division the Steelers were better than the Ravens in some metrics and not far behind in others. I assume they played pretty similar opponents. Steelers defense was backed by a trash offense though. Ravens were backed by one of the best offenses in the league.

Hmm, well we had a top 2-3 defense last year and have most of the starters back and upgrades at the positions that we lost depth in. So you would think our defense would still be that good or even better.

So yeah, the Bills should be considered one of the most dangerous defenses in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Browns torched them but I guess every defense has a bad day. In their own division the Steelers were better than the Ravens in some metrics and not far behind in others. I assume they played pretty similar opponents. Steelers defense was backed by a trash offense though. Ravens were backed by one of the best offenses in the league.

Steelers defense made significant strides compared to previous years, but still not to the level of the Raven's defense.  I think you're discounting just how good the Ravens were last year.

I think the Ravens are pretty dangerous.  The Chiefs defense improved late in the season last year, but I'd pick Buffalo's D over them.  The Chiefs game is going to be really interesting this season.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Steelers defense made significant strides compared to previous years, but still not to the level of the Raven's defense.  I think you're discounting just how good the Ravens were last year.

Maybe so with the Bills or Patriots ahead of them. But it's hard to put them ahead of the Steelers who basically played the same opponents, were handicapped by a bad offense (Ravens D benefited from the best offense) but still but up similar or even better defensive numbers than the Ravens.

Plus factor in the head to head where the Steelers had to play the Ravens #2 YPG overall offense twice but the Ravens played the Steelers 30th overall ranked offense twice.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They weren't talking best defenses. As others have said they interpreted "dangerous" as disruptive. The Bills D doesn't really fit that description. It is a defense that is fundamentally sound rather than flashy.