SI: Are The Bills Ready To Take The Division?

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Could win it, but, NEVER count out the Pats when Belicheck running the show.  McD is good, but, Bill B is proven all world.

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

The only way to get this 2 decade old albatross from around our necks is for the Bills to beat the Pats. And not just squeak by in the last minute, but a start to finish physical domination and win by 3+ scores

The roster is better, the QB is more experienced and they have continuity at the coordinator and HC.  Everything is aligned for Buffalo to beat their biggest adversary. 

Still, it should be noted that McD is 0-6 against BB and been out-scored by 85 points in those games.  He's gotta be better because most games are decided by one score or less. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm fine with that part of it. Just not the "OR ELSE!!!1!!"

So if the Bills go 6-10 and miss the postseason, you would advocate NOT looking at some aspects of the team more closely?

I don’t think we should fire everyone, but I would be examining why we fell short and where we need to improve to get over the hump.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

So if the Bills go 6-10 and miss the postseason, you would advocate NOT looking at some aspects of the team more closely?

I don’t think we should fire everyone, but I would be examining why we fell short and where we need to improve to get over the hump.

Correct. I think these guys have shown enough that we should have extended them this offseason. They're easily the most talented HC/GM combo we've had in town for the past 20 years, and tying their future to a year-by-year evaluation is short-sighted at best and utterly stupid at worst.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Could win it, but, NEVER count out the Pats when Belicheck running the show.  McD is good, but, Bill B is proven all world.

While I won't argue against Belichik being a great coach, his "all world" status has only ever been with Brady.  In his head coaching career with the Browns and with the Pats without Brady playing (2000 and 2008), his winning percentage is 46.4%.  Not exactly all world.  The next couple of seasons without Brady will really tell a lot about who was responsible for their dynasty.  Maybe they both needed each other.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

While I won't argue against Belichik being a great coach, his "all world" status has only ever been with Brady.  In his head coaching career with the Browns and with the Pats without Brady playing (2000 and 2008), his winning percentage is 46.4%.  Not exactly all world.  The next couple of seasons without Brady will really tell a lot about who was responsible for their dynasty.  Maybe they both needed each other.

FWIW Josh McDaniels record (OC/HC) without Brady on his team is 13-31.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

He took the. moribund Browns to their only 11 win season in 34 years and their only playoff win in the last 30 years.

Not "all world"?  Better toss Levi (.425 with the Chiefs) and heck, even Lombardi (.500 with the Skins) out of the HOF then.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He took the. moribund Browns to their only 11 win season in 34 years and their only playoff win in the last 30 years.

Not "all world"?  Better toss Levi (.425 with the Chiefs) and heck, even Lombardi (.500 with the Skins) out of the HOF then.

Done!  They're out of there!

I get it.  Belichik is great.  My only point is that there are a lot of variables to consider during the Pats dynasty especially the continuity between HC and QB.

I'll give you the Browns 11-5 team.  But that was a single season.  It just seems that there can't be a coincidence between Belichik's record once Brady arrived and before Brady arrived.

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I get it.  Belichik is great.  My only point is that there are a lot of variables to consider during the Pats dynasty especially the continuity between HC and QB.

I'll give you the Browns 11-5 team.  But that was a single season.  It just seems that there can't be a coincidence between Belichik's record once Brady arrived and before Brady arrived.

Belichick's coaching win pct, including that 11-5 team before Brady was .460.   There is a reason Phil Jackson only coached teams with Michael, Kobe, and Shaq on them.   Belichick was a good coach in terms of game day readiness prior to Brady, but he wasnt great until Brady showed up.    It's the same reason Andy Reid hadnt won a title before Mahomes.

You're correct here.  Its not a coincidence. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I always thought he was doing good things in Cleveland.  That was decades ago and it seems to me he has a lot on his plate this year.

He ain't getting any younger himself.  I keep expecting him to promote his kid after a number of his assistants left this year.

He is going to have to rely on Josh McDamiels a lot this year and I always wondered how much of the Offense had TB's fingerprints on it.

A lot has changed in Beantown this past year!

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

No, it's not. coincidence.  Bill Walsh was 6-18 with the Steve DeBerg led 49ers.  Levy without Kelly.  Dungy without Manning.

It's no coincidence nor a secret that some of the game's greatest coaches have been blessed with the greatest QBs.  The point is that it doesn't matter what BB does with whats' left of the NE team, as far as his place among the greats.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Belichick's coaching win pct, including that 11-5 team before Brady was .460.   There is a reason Phil Jackson only coached teams with Michael, Kobe, and Shaq on them.   Belichick was a good coach in terms of game day readiness prior to Brady, but he wasnt great until Brady showed up.    It's the same reason Andy Reid hadnt won a title before Mahomes.

You're correct here.  Its not a coincidence. 

lol, not exactly.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, it's not. coincidence.  Bill Walsh was 6-18 with the Steve DeBerg led 49ers.  Levy without Kelly.  Dungy without Manning.

It's no coincidence nor a secret that some of the game's greatest coaches have been blessed with the greatest QBs.  The point is that it doesn't matter what BB does with whats' left of the NE team, as far as his place among the greats.  

Right but the discussion was not about his place among the greats.  The original comment that I replied to was in regard to not counting the Pats out of the division race this year because Belichik is "all world".  So nobody is saying he doesn't have a legacy.  That was never mentioned by me.  I was merely stating that without Brady it hasn't been all roses for Bill and the Pats.  So without Brady this year, and with very weak QB play, I don't think the "all world" status of Belichik will matter.

Edited by Johnnycage46

9 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Right but the discussion was not about his place among the greats.  The original comment that I replied to was in regard to not counting the Pats out of the division race this year because Belichik is "all world".  So nobody is saying he doesn't have a legacy.  That was never mentioned by me.  I was merely stating that without Brady it hasn't been all roses for Bill and the Pats.  So without Brady this year, and with very weak QB play, I don't think the "all world" status of Belichik will matter.

No, it won't.

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So what is the reason then?  He never had the superior quarterback in the big game.  This year he did.

He had the best QB in the NFL in 2018.  Couldn't get out of the AFCC game with a win.

In Philly he had top 5 or top 10 offenses multiple times with McNabb and had 8 10 or more win seasons...and went 1 for 5 in conference championship games.

Reid wasn't suffering for lack of an adequate QB in all those years before he finally won a SB....

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm fine with that part of it. Just not the "OR ELSE!!!1!!"

Here is a scenario:  Let's say the Bills go 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs as a WC team, then lose in the WC round.  Further, the Patriots won the division and we didn't beat them during the regular season.  This is a possible situation.  What should happen?  What would you do?