SI: Are The Bills Ready To Take The Division?

Albert Breer’s MMQB

”This, of course, is a big year in Buffalo. Expectations are probably in a place they haven’t been since Jim Kelly retired. McDermott’s in his fourth year. GM Brandon Beane just wrapped up his third draft. Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds, still just 23 and 22, respectively, and the faces of the new Bills on each side of the ball, are headed into Year 3.

And that’s without even getting to what everyone in the rest of the football world wants to talk about: For the first time in forever, with Tom Brady now in the NFC South, it sure feels like the AFC East is up for grabs, and no one’s better positioned to take advantage than Buffalo.”

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Could win it, but, NEVER count out the Pats when Belicheck running the show.  McD is good, but, Bill B is proven all world.

The only way to get this 2 decade old albatross from around our necks is for the Bills to beat the Pats. And not just squeak by in the last minute, but a start to finish physical domination and win by 3+ scores

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Right now and on paper I project the Bills as slightly ahead of the Pats as favourites to take the AFCE title, but it's a close call. So much depends on how the respective QBs make out. Josh is clearly ahead of Stidham in terms of experience and development (as well as athleticism and arm strength), but he will be asked to do much more than Stidham and the Pats are very good at getting the best out of their Qbs through coaching and game planning. I see Stidham as potentially adequate this year and given his skillset comfortable running the Pats offence that Bill and Brady have turned to in the last couple of years. On the other hand if Josh is able to show good progression in his third year and make good use of the tools he has been given the odds swing strongly in the Bill's favour since he continues to flash a sky high ceiling. Raw talent is up there with Mahomes, Watson.

The whole division will likely be more competitive. Jets had a good draft and some of their FA signings could pan out. Flores looks to me like he could be a good head coach. Those teams are still a year or two away in terms of being consistently good but on any given Sunday they are perfectly capable of beating you. Nothing is given over the course of a season and sometimes things that you were counting on are taken away.

• Like (+1) 2

The last hurdle is the Pats even with out Brady, BB is going to  have his team ready to play but given what the other teams in the division have done it's not going to be a cake walk just because TB 12 has left the division .

McD & Beane have given just about every thing a team could want to build a perennial play off caliber team between players and coaches it just all needs to come together at the right time .

• Like (+1) 2

I think the people who wonder if the AFCE is up for grabs are forgetting that it was absolutely up for grabs last year. The Bills came within a play or two of beating New England in Foxboro and would have won the division already.

In this upcoming seasons as the rosters now stand I don't think New England has a single positional grouping that is better than Buffalo. You could make the argument for offensive line, but I'm not sure I would buy it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

I think the people who wonder if the AFCE is up for grabs are forgetting that it was absolutely up for grabs last year. The Bills came within a play or two of beating New England in Foxboro and would have won the division already.

In this upcoming seasons as the rosters now stand I don't think New England has a single positional grouping that is better than Buffalo. You could make the argument for offensive line, but I'm not sure I would buy it.

I'd argue they are if they continue to get the non-calls for holding they have gotten for years.

The Pats*** aren't winning the division this year or even coming close. They lost several key guys to the front 7 of their defense, a defense that carried last year's team. They have absolutely no talent on offense, lost the GOAT and replaced him with a QB that has 4 total passes in his career, one being a pick 6. I would be really surprised if they finish with a winning record. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's division or bust honestly. The Fins and Jets are decent but nothing special. The Fins are a solid team who is mediocre at QB, the Jets are a mediocre team with a good but not yet great QB. The Pats are a well coached defensive machine but they have major issues at the QB position and other places on the offense. If there was ever a time for the Bills to expect 11+ wins and a division title it is this season. 

The Bills retain a strong top 5 defense, added to a solid special teams unit, and added a big weapon to the offense which should help it improve. To quote the Goonies, "It's our time."

Bills winning the AFCE should be expected.  If they do not win the AFCE, it will be an underperformance and various aspects of the organization need to be looked at closely.

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

Bills winning the AFCE should be expected.  If they do not win the AFCE, it will be an underperformance and various aspects of the organization need to be looked at closely.

depends on our record.  If we go 10-6 or 11-5 and still lose the division, I’m not going to be that upset.

It’s been a veteran opening his home to a rookie and having him stay there so he could mentor his younger teammate, and, both guys hope, give him a head start on his career.

Anyone know what Bills players he’s referring to?

37 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

depends on our record.  If we go 10-6 or 11-5 and still lose the division, I’m not going to be that upset.

If another AFCE team is 12-4, then sure, I'll concede to your point.  This is not likely, though.

39 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

oh-please-do-tell-me-more-via-9gag-com-1

I'll bet this picture is on your dresser mirror.

Edited by Happy
  • Haha (+1) 1