What would be the absolute best season you could hope for?

What the Bills need to do is go back in time to see what the 1990 Buffalo Bills did to make that team so offensively powerful that they led the league that year in points scored. 

Believe it or not the 1990 Buffalo Bills ran more than they threw it, 479 attempts rushing vs 425 attempts passing. 

Leading off with a run game that very few teams were able to stop also opened up the pass game and both Thurman and Kelly would tear teams up. A very balanced attack that left opposing defenses reeling all season. The Bills not only beat the good teams as they blew out the bad teams.

It was Thurman Thomas 1297 rushing yards, 11 TD's in a run first offense that would cause teams to move up to stop the run and Kelly would then throw over the LBers to Reed, Lofton, Thomas, Beebe, McKeller. It was that "counter trey", old Redskins run scheme in which the line would start one way and go the other which froze the Lbers just enough to get Thurman threw a hole. 

Once the Bills had the lead in the game they could unleash Bruce Smith on the opposing QB and things went down hill for them after that.

Anyone who thinks the run game is old fashioned needs to take a long, hard look at last years 49ers, Vikings, Titans teams.  That Titans playoff win at New England 20-13 is what I always envisioned the Bills doing to the Patriots in crushing their playoff hopes by pounding the ball on them. 

The ONE thing I'm hoping for this season is for the Bills OC to get his head outta his posterior and run the ball more, along with to stop putting the onus on the QB's shoulders to carry the team...yea, its a TEAM game! If the run game starts to falter...find a plan B or C to get that run game working and don't give up on it while asking Allen to throw 35-45 times a game.

I don't care about 300 yards passing or overall QB rating, Completion % as I think those will come in time as this QB gets more playing experience and confidence.  Winning the division and getting a home playoff game would be great...winning that playoff game even better.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’d prefer the team to lay low similar to last year. I’m of course hoping for Allen to continue his growth but nothing would break my heart than a similar season to Baltimore last year. 
Dominating the season and having an mvp quarterback and choking away the playoff game. I’d rather a 10-6 no media hype team that can work their butts off to get into the Super Bowl 

Used to happen in Indy a lot.  They didn't mind...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Add Kraft and Zebras charged with corruption with team taken away and new buyer moves it away from New England area.

I love this option. My scenario is win the division, beat Beli twice and win at least 1 playoff game. Josh has a qb rating over 92.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We beat everyone in the AFC East......twice

Our season doesnt end until the very last game.......and finally after years of what could have been in 4 straight....this time we win

Team stays relatively healthy

Josh continues his progression.....and starts hitting most of those deep throws

Diggs works out

The rookies show they have promise

We give Beane and McD new deals

This would be #8 on my list. If we make playoffs they’ve earned the extension for sure

For me, any permutation of a season where they win the Super Bowl.

Finishing 9-7 and squeaking in (while making us tear our hair out every week) then going on a "heater", Giants-style, works for me as well as 14-2 dominance where they have a top 10 offense with the #1 defense.

This is not to say I would be disappointed by the usual markers of success: Josh taking another step forward, winning a playoff game, fielding a competent (dare I say dangerous) offense and... stop leaking 20 yard run gashes up the middle (it's better now but it's a problem they've seemed to have had for 15 years+). But if hope springs eternal then the best I could hope for is a Super Bowl in whatever flavour is offered, except an asterisk season.

A 9-7 scenario where they lose twice to the Patriots but still win the Super Bowl would provide endless entertainment: watching people proclaim a Bills season that ended with a championship parade was a failure.

Josh throwing for 300 yds every week including the bye ;) 

Seriously though winning 11 or 12 games and the division while staying healthy.

Both RB's running for 1000 yds and 500yds receiving combined if they do that then Josh would be on easy street

Winning at least 2 playoff games..

I manage to get to enjoy all 10 home games without me or any other fan getting covid19 :)

22 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’d prefer the team to lay low similar to last year. I’m of course hoping for Allen to continue his growth but nothing would break my heart than a similar season to Baltimore last year. 
Dominating the season and having an mvp quarterback and choking away the playoff game. I’d rather a 10-6 no media hype team that can work their butts off to get into the Super Bowl 

Lol ... yep; that bummer of MVP QB “choking” 

• 9 months later...

I wanted to revisit this post at the end of the season just to talk about how close we came to an unprecedented year. We made leaps and bounds, and I think we sometimes forget just where we started. Let’s recap:

On 5/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, KingBoots8 said:

Obviously a Super Bowl victory is the goal, and no matter what way it happens it would be an amazing feeling. That being said, there’s a few elements that would make it an amazing season in my eyes. I’m going to skip over the “going 19-0” option because it’s too obvious. Here’s what would make it the best season for me:

1. Winning the division for the first time in ages   Mission accomplished

2. Sweeping the division, but specifically the Pats    Yessssss

3. The Pats missing the playoffs entirely. HAHAHA got it 

4a. Beating the Bucs in the SB, to lift and definitively end the shadow of Brady.  Missed this one by 1 game

4b. The bucks not even making the playoffs despite the offseason additions / Brady finally showing his age.  Yeah, about that one...

5. If the Bucs are out of the SB, taking out either the Giants, Cowboys, or Redskins in the SB- get that monkey off our back and a small taste of revenge   That division being as bad as it was I think was even better to me

6. Beating KC in primetime and/or the playoffs.  🤬

7. JA throwing for 4K yards or just to shut up the naysayers. This is low on my list of priorities but I know some people will whine and complain and doubt him until he does. Whatever- winning is all that matters.   CRUSHED IT

That about does it for me. What stipulation would make the season that much sweeter to you?

So, in addition to the above, we had the following happen:

1. Josh Allen was 2nd in MVP votes- that shows how much he grew that offseason

2. Diggs is as advertised and brought this offense to the next level

3. Beasley stepped up big and was always open on huge plays we needed him.

4. 5 pro bowl players, and Poyer got snubbed so it should have been 6

5. Daboll was mostly great this year, and is staying with us to continue to develop with Josh.

6. McDermott runner up for Coach of the Year (which I truly think he should have won)

Now, it wasn’t perfect- obviously we fell short of the end goal, but we put together a 13-3 record against what was a challenging schedule, and won convincingly quite a few times. One throw away from 14-2. Defense struggled and didn’t resemble the 2019 squad, but had a mostly solid second half of the season. We have a few pieces to replace and improve, but we are among the top

of the AFC teams.

This was a great year for the Bills, and I can’t wait to see what they do next season. Hopefully I get to see you guys in the stands cheering them on, but if not we do what we do and keep on showing them love the way only Buffalo can.

Bills by a Billion. LFG.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was an overwhelmingly successful season for two reasons.

First, we improved as an organization and went from a 1 and done playoff team to one that won 2 playoff games.

Secondly, and much more importantly, Josh Allen transformed into a completely new player who consistently performed as the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league.

For this upcoming year, the goals should be:

1) Josh Allen must maintain his new level of performance, more or less

2) It would be nice to be eliminated from the playoffs in an evenly fought game, and not being outclassed as we were by KC.  That assumes we don't win all the games and win the Super Bowl obviously.

I think there is room for improvement and success in 2021 without winning the Super Bowl, or even the AFC Championship Game.