Jets' fans complaining about Bills' media exposure

I said this the other day, and I’ll repeat it:

I like Joe Douglas, and I like Sam Darnold. 

I do NOT like Adam Gase or Gregggg Williams. I do NOT like their clueless current ownership.

Furthermore, the Jets have a poor pass rush, awful cornerback room and, until proven otherwise, a poor offensive line.

If your owner is clueless, your head coach stinks, you can’t protect your quarterback, and you can’t negatively affect the OTHER team’s quarterback, you’re not going very far. To me, the Jets are a 6-10 to 9-7 ball club, with 9-7 representing their absolute ceiling, as currently constructed.

I envision Gase getting fired in a season or two, and then the cycle of the new coach “bringing in his own guys” starting over again, thus wasting more years of Darnold’s cheap rookie deal. Additionally, by the time the new coach is hired, Darnold will be on about his 5th offensive coordinator.

In short, I believe the Jets have the QB and GM in place, but the poor ownership and poor head coach and lackluster roster will lead to more turnover, and the Jets won’t be true contenders for another 2-3 seasons because of it.

The Dolphins pose a bigger threat in the coming years than the Jets, IMO.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why do you guys care about what Jets fans are posting on a Jets message board?

I honestly don't know. Bills fans are not used to being good yet. When you are good you don't care what the fans of bad teams say about you. When you are good it has total irrelevance. The Bills are good. I couldn't less what Jets fans think about us or any others fans for that matter. Fans have to learn to win just as much as players do.

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

In short, I believe the Jets have the QB and GM in place, but the poor ownership and poor head coach and lackluster roster will lead to more turnover, and the Jets won’t be true contenders for another 2-3 seasons because of it.

Agree completely. Douglas and Darnold are good but they are going nowhere with Gase and there remains work to be done to that team.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. Bills earned their exposure.

Even for a lot of ppl on this board, seemed like they were upset that the Bills never got primetime games or respect.

Quite frankly, the Bills never earned respect as they had mediocre year after mediocre year for 18 years

Now the Bills have earned their respect by making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with an up and coming team, and what do you know, 4 primetime games.

Ststidtically speaking they were shut out of prime time games unfairly compared to other teams in similar positions 

I’m talking to seasons after the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 records and not playoffs. And they got dissed after getting a WC in 2017.

From 2008 to 2011 when the Jets traded for Farve (a media lightening rod) and they started to win under Rex (back to back AFCG) the Jets got a lot of media coverage. As they deserved. But the Jets haven't had a winning season since 2015 and haven't had a playoff appearance since 2010. The only two things that keep them somewhat relevant is the market they play in and the young QB they have. 

• Like (+1) 2

Don't follow the Jets enough to know the answer, but if Darnold would have been healthy, would the Jets record been any better last season? Sure injuries happen, but this is more of a fluky sickness then an injury or a history of being injured (like EJ Gaines).

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Most of the “Jets are trash/they suck” talk in here is just homer talk. Their fans are obnoxious, but they usually play us tough (as a division rival should) and we rarely sweep them. A Mosely injury and a terrible kicker was the only reason we didn’t get swept last season

If the Bills would have lost in week 1 then they would have played their starters in week 17. I don't think the Jets would have beaten the Bills in OP in this situation. Most likely the series would have been a split anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Most of the “Jets are trash/they suck” talk in here is just homer talk. Their fans are obnoxious, but they usually play us tough (as a division rival should) and we rarely sweep them. A Mosely injury and a terrible kicker was the only reason we didn’t get swept last season

Right....Swept...

Nope.

Our backups with Matt Barkley at the helm and a 1963 game plan gave them all they could handle.

That game would have been over at half time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Ststidtically speaking they were shut out of prime time games unfairly compared to other teams in similar positions 

I’m talking to seasons after the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 records and not playoffs. And they got dissed after getting a WC in 2017.

2018 everyone knew they were going to be brutal. Was even amazing they got to 6 wins. 

It was a rebuild year for them even though they made the playoffs somehow in 2017.

With the stability of Basically 21 of 22 starters back (with Diggs being the new starter), the Bills have a huge advantage over the other 3 teams.

NE: new QBs replacing the GOAT (good luck with that), with a bare WR closet. A few other key losses too.

NYJ: nice finish last year but not any signature wins there really. Brand new Oline and WR corp, good luck working out the kinks with that, remotely. Cornerbacks and D Ends are amongst the worst in football. Looking at their schedule, it’s brutal. Absolute ceiling after 8 games is 3-5 with an argument to be made they could be 0-8. 0-8 wouldn’t be the worst thing for them as it would mean Gase would be fired. He’s horrible but at least he’s as rich as fxck. 

Miami: with all their picks they had to get better. I didn’t like a lot of their picks (watch the film on Epenesa destroying their first rd tackle from USC), though they got Tua right, I think. I Like their coach a lot but with all the new bodies, including a lot of free agent signings, it’ll take a year + to start meshing. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly don't know. Bills fans are not used to being good yet. When you are good you don't care what the fans of bad teams say about you. When you are good it has total irrelevance. The Bills are good. I couldn't less what Jets fans think about us or any others fans for that matter. Fans have to learn to win just as much as players do.

Agree completely. Douglas and Darnold are good but they are going nowhere with Gase and there remains work to be done to that team.

I don’t think most Jets fans are homers. Have you read our beat writers or listened to local media coverage?

To be honest small town media (Buffalo, Jacksonville, Oakland) are glorified cheerleaders.

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

You’re right... Week 1 flukey turnovers and Week 17 resting our starters definitely didn’t play a part in any of that.  

7 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Don't follow the Jets enough to know the answer, but if Darnold would have been healthy, would the Jets record been any better last season? Sure injuries happen, but this is more of a fluky sickness then an injury or a history of being injured (like EJ Gaines).

No. The 3 games that  Darnold missed last year were New England, Browns, Eagles. They were not beating any of those teams last year.

Edited by Protocal69

22 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If you've ever been to New York and attended a Jest's game, you'll relate to my comments.  A high percentage of their fans are aggressive and mouthy until the wheels come off and defeat is in the air.  That's when they switch over to blaming the refs and making other excuses.  Many of them leave the stadium before the fourth quarter. Many of  them know little about the game in general, little about the rules, and little about the talent or lack thereof on the Jests.  They are a really sad group of fans in general.  For other stadiums that I have attended in recent years,  I contrast them to Giants, Steelers, Packers, Colts, Titans, Tampa, Falcons and Jaguars fans that are not like them at all.  As a result, anything coming from the Jests has no credibility from my point of view.  The media seems to hype them at the start of every season (probably due to the importance of the large market) but usually by week 5 or 6, they've all crawled back into their hole.  We should all be used to this media behavior and continue to disregard it.  After all, the only thing of real importance is the game results.

I live in NYC and have been going to the Bills/Jets games in the Meadowlands almost every year since the 90s. I'll agree with you that the average Jets fan isn't as knowledgeable as the average Bills fan (about their team---as we are about ours, or football in general), and there is obviously no fan base that compares to Buffalo's in my opinion. But you say...

"fans are aggressive and mouthy until the wheels come off" First of all, that sounds like most fans. Also, New Yorkers just have a very direct (sometimes loud) way of interacting that some may feel aggressive and off putting at first, if you're not used to it, but it's just how people have learned to interact in the City. They are not as obnoxious as they may first appear to someone from the outside. They're good folks.

"That's when they switch over to blaming the refs and making other excuses."  I don't know, that sounds like you're talking about Bills fans (myself included), or fans of any team that has been bad for a while, or doesn't get the love from the league/media/refs (like the Bills and Jets). We're actually not that unalike in what we have suffered through. I have actually bonded with tons of Jets fans over our mutual hatred of the Patriots. Plus, the Jets fans are as loyal to their team through all of the hard times as Bills fans have been, probably due to the Jets being the more blue-collar, younger brother to the Giants. It's like a badge of honor/pride for them. Most of the Giants fans come from New Jersey, Long Island, upstate New York, Connecticut, and even Pennsylvania. Jets fans mostly come from New York City. The Jets are not a regional team like the Patriots and Giants, they are the New York City team. Their fans understand hard work, they understand disappointment, they understand being overlooked (not unlike our fanbase---they maybe just express it a bit differently?).

But, honestly, I have never had a bad experience with Jets fans in almost 25 years...and believe me, I go to the games in full Bills regalia and cheer loudly. There is always a lot of good-natured taunting and ribbing (you just have to give it back to them without any anger or aggressiveness behind it); and even when the Jets lose, I've never had an issue with any of them. It's always kind of, "we're still better even though we didn't win this one," "good game...we'll get you next time," or "Bills suck." And you just laugh it off. 

And speaking of leaving in the 4th quarter...you think getting out of the parking lots at New Era field is bad? Try taking public transportation in the largest city in the country to and from the game with 70,000 other people at the exact same time. I do it every time I go and I'm telling you, it's not pretty, and it's a long time before you are getting home. Longer than getting out of the New Era parking lots and driving back to Rochester. I still don't leave in the 4th quarter, but I can understand why people do if they think the outcome is decided.

Maybe your experience was different and you had some jerks ruin it for you (every fanbase has some of those), but I definitely wouldn't paint all Jets fans in a bad light. Sure it is a different experience than a lot of other venues, because New York City is a very different place than a lot of other NFL cities. But Jets fans have always been cool with me. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, folz said:

I live in NYC and have been going to the Bills/Jets games in the Meadowlands almost every year since the 90s. I'll agree with you that the average Jets fan isn't as knowledgeable as the average Bills fan (about their team---as we are about ours, or football in general), and there is obviously no fan base that compares to Buffalo's in my opinion. But you say...

"fans are aggressive and mouthy until the wheels come off" First of all, that sounds like most fans. Also, New Yorkers just have a very direct (sometimes loud) way of interacting that some may feel aggressive and off putting at first, if you're not used to it, but it's just how people have learned to interact in the City. They are not as obnoxious as they may first appear to someone from the outside. They're good folks.

"That's when they switch over to blaming the refs and making other excuses."  I don't know, that sounds like you're talking about Bills fans (myself included), or fans of any team that has been bad for a while, or doesn't get the love from the league/media/refs (like the Bills and Jets). We're actually not that unalike in what we have suffered through. I have actually bonded with tons of Jets fans over our mutual hatred of the Patriots. Plus, the Jets fans are as loyal to their team through all of the hard times as Bills fans have been, probably due to the Jets being the more blue-collar, younger brother to the Giants. It's like a badge of honor/pride for them. Most of the Giants fans come from New Jersey, Long Island, upstate New York, Connecticut, and even Pennsylvania. Jets fans mostly come from New York City. The Jets are not a regional team like the Patriots and Giants, they are the New York City team. Their fans understand hard work, they understand disappointment, they understand being overlooked (not unlike our fanbase---they maybe just express it a bit differently?).

But, honestly, I have never had a bad experience with Jets fans in almost 25 years...and believe me, I go to the games in full Bills regalia and cheer loudly. There is always a lot of good-natured taunting and ribbing (you just have to give it back to them without any anger or aggressiveness behind it); and even when the Jets lose, I've never had an issue with any of them. It's always kind of, "we're still better even though we didn't win this one," "good game...we'll get you next time," or "Bills suck." And you just laugh it off. 

And speaking of leaving in the 4th quarter...you think getting out of the parking lots at New Era field is bad? Try taking public transportation in the largest city in the country to and from the game with 70,000 other people at the exact same time. I do it every time I go and I'm telling you, it's not pretty, and it's a long time before you are getting home. Longer than getting out of the New Era parking lots and driving back to Rochester. I still don't leave in the 4th quarter, but I can understand why people do if they think the outcome is decided.

Maybe your experience was different and you had some jerks ruin it for you (every fanbase has some of those), but I definitely wouldn't paint all Jets fans in a bad light. Sure it is a different experience than a lot of other venues, because New York City is a very different place than a lot of other NFL cities. But Jets fans have always been cool with me. 

Even though I am a Bills fan I am also a Jets season ticket holder. As far as leaving the stadium goes next time tailgate for an hour or so after the game and let the crowd thin out. For a 1:00 game we get back to the car about 4:30. Tailgate till about 6:00. At that time you have no problems getting out as the traffic is completely gone. Assuming of course you don't mind hanging out after the game.