Duke Williams Fred Jackson Comparison

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I wanted to say that I think Davis is a lock because by the simple fact he was a 4th round pick.

Before saying that I looked up all the 4th round WR draft picks since 2009.

The were 54 WRs selected in the 4th round.

The only 1st year cut was Greg Childs in 2012 from the Vikings.

In 2014 Shaquelle Evans was put on IR and never made the team the next year.

The other 52 went on to play games in the NFL.

After seeing that I'm going out on a limb and saying Gabriel Davis makes the team as long as he doesn't keep putting his cleats on the wrong foot.

Thanks for doing all that work.  I'm curious how many made the practice squad as we are deep at the WR position and Davis could be the exception to the norm.  Maybe they keep seven or put Duke on the practice squad again assuming Davis makes the team.....or they just cut Duke.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Thanks for doing all that work.  I'm curious how many made the practice squad as we are deep at the WR position and Davis could be the exception to the norm.  Maybe they keep seven or put Duke on the practice squad again assuming Davis makes the team.....or they just cut Duke.

Unfortunately I don't know of any football database that has practice squad info.  How many they end up keeping and who ends up where 

most likely won't be known even by McDermott and Beane until final cuts.

It seems to me that in a perfect world the Roberts/McKenzie roles of returner, gadget and backup slot guy would be consolidated.

I don't know if they try to do that this year or not.

Before the draft I thought Duke had a pretty good chance of making the team but I see that is now in question.

One thing for sure is the bubble WRs question of who makes the team, how many, who (if any) get picked up on waivers and who eventually

goes to the PS will be debated all the way to the fall.  I guess this is a good problem to have compared to what was going on with the position

a couple of years ago!

Fred made plays. Has Duke? I mean I’ve seen him make a few routine catches....but Fred made plays. I would not compare the two because I just do not see Duke becoming half the player Fred was. I’d love to be wrong, but....

Fred played STs and led team in combined yardage.  Duke not so much. 

Fred never had discipline issues in college or pros. Duke did.

Fred played DIII - Duke played in SEC.

Fans bought Fred's jersey.  Do they even sell Duke's?

Fred was a captain.  Duke was on PS.  

Other than that theirs are identical stories

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2020 at 5:25 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Stretch of the century.

FredEx is a legend. Duke is a pipe dream. 

disclaimer: I’m not knocking duke as a player/person, but rather, just think so highly of what Freddy J did, and meant to this city during the drought years

Freddie outplayed McGahee, Lynch, and Spiller while he was here. It sucks he didn’t get more touches. He was the only consistent producer on offence for years. 

• Like (+1) 1