Duke Williams Fred Jackson Comparison

10 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He did not drop that ball. The DB knocked it out. Williams made several key contested catches in that game; people seem to forget that and want to hate on him for not making a spectacular highlight-reel catch in the end zone. The blame on Williams on this board has been way out of hand.

What is out of hand is the Duke hysteria and the worshiping of a big slow WR who dropped a big pass .... Yes it was a drop. Go strong to the ball and grab it. DB made a play? He gets paid too yet Williams should have caught it. 

I think that right now Duke is WR#5 after Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis.

With Davis being above him purely on the draft capital spent plus upside.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bills have 7 receivers active with Roberts as the #7.

McKenzie, Hodgins, Foster, the others plus Duke more than likely will have an open contest for the two spots available.

I am hoping the competition brings out the best in Duke, he is a fighter and fits the current team well alongside characters like Hughes, Josh and Feliciano.

We are in a position now that we will be cutting or trading players we want on the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I may be in the minority but I'll always root for the underdog. The Bills have been underdogs most of their existence. Hope Duke makes it as the last wr. Other than the drop that would've made him a legend, Duke made the most of the few opportunities he got last year. The haters will always mock. They'll root for him to fail just to spite themselves. I'll let the coaches figure it out.

Duke Williams is just a guy.  He has mediocre athletic ability at best to play WR in the NFL.  That is not hating on him.  That is fact.  He is not quick, fast or explosive.  And he has mediocre hands.  He has good size and is tough.  He seemed to show good work ethic and effort last year.  Why would anyone want the guy to fail?  He plays for our favorite team for god's sake!!  If you have watch and know NFL Football, Duke Williams just doesn't stand out.  Maybe he raises his game several notches this summer.  (We all would want that)  But again he comes off as just a guy.  So not sure where your overwhelming love for the guy is coming from.  Rooting for the underdog is great.  But his story doesn't stand out as anything over the top special.  

in the houston playoff game he had 10 targets for 4 catches.....not good

his ship has sailed....i doubt he even makes the team this year. they will go younger

as far as comparing him to fred....that's laughable

fred is the 3rd all time leading rusher in bills history.

duke doesn't crack the top 150 for receiving.

I'm pulling for Duke as I would for any Bills prospect and I think he has a chance to crack the lineup as part of a now competitive WR group. But Fred Jackson was a great and complete football player and in his (regrettably short) prime was absolutely one of the top backs in the league. Just ask Bill B.

I don't care about stories.  Almost every player has one.  Put the best 6-7 guys on the team.  Duke could have cemented his legend had he caught a perfectly-thrown TD pass in that Houston game...but he didn't.  As a result, the Bills went out and drafted 2 guys with size to put him on notice.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked Duke ever since the first time i heard his story, he messed up & was exiled for a bit but proved although in another league that he was worth being given another shot and has tried & will continue to give every thing he's got to make it in the NFL with the Bills or who ever gives him that chance I just hope it's not with the Pats !!

Duke was awesome in college & he reminds me for some reason like A. Boldin ? he has good hands & i think will be a good number 2 WR in the NFL but has to be more determined against NFL talent, last year in the Houston game if he makes the catch in the end zone it's a different game but i think that is where he needs to develop against the top talent he s up against if that was Diggs (i'm hoping) that would have been a TD .

He will need to step it up if he's going to stick this year given the talent that Beane has brought in Diggs automatically knocks him down 1 peg then you add the rookies brought in this year, the only thing he has on them is experience and if he has a chance he needs to use even bit of that experience to his advantage & if he doesn't he will be on another team !! 

But i'm rooting for him as i always have !! 

The Duke Williams legacy lives on.   Duke played in 4 games for a below average NFL receiving corps.  He has 12 receptions and 1 TD.  He was not able to crack the line up on special teams.  This guy has good size, has below average speed, runs average routes, has below average hands and played in the CFL because that is his level so far - that or maybe a 5th/6th WR in the NFL.  He made a few big plays, and he had a few opportunities were he did not. 

Freddie Jackson was a legit NFL star, an UDFA that started in NFL Europe.  He worked his way onto the roster as a backup RB that eventually led to prominent role with the team.  He competed against first round picks Marshawn Lynch and CJ Spiller and earned his carries.   Along the way he earned Pro Bowl and First Team All Pro honors while playing on mostly mediocre offenses. Over 9 season and despite some injuries he amassed 8643 yards of total offense in 120 games (61 starts), 4.4 YPC,  30 TDs, and was a team captain. 

I do not understand the comparison?  Duke has a very long way to go to reach Fred's stature.  Like 8 more seasons, 8500 more yards, 29 more TDs, and 2 pro bowls.  If he were to reach even 75% of these totals, then we can have the conversation.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, quincy said:

I think that right now Duke is WR#5 after Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis.

I think its closer to WR9. 

I'm no Mckenzie fan, but he's clearly ahead. Roberts is a virtual lock as our only good returner. Foster actually has production unlike Williams and Hodgins has style similarities but is younger and can actually catch.

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Found it! 

I had to sift through about 10 Duke threads from around the playoff game to find the right one, but here it is: 

If you want to preserve your sanity and avoid sifting through 12 pages of ridiculousness, here's the nail in the "it wasn't a drop" argument's coffin. 

you shall see the truth, and the truth shall set you free...

@Don Otreply
@Giuseppe Tognarelli
@EmotionallyUnstable

Now, that doesn't mean Duke can't be a good player, but I doubt he makes the team over the young blood brought in. 

A real receiver catches it no matter what. You don't make excuses for it.

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He should've been developed as a TE in college.  It will be interesting to see who they keep out of Davis, Hodgins, Duke, and Foster.  I assume they keep six and with five spots most likely locked in already (Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, Roberts), it should be a hell of a fight for that last spot.  

I wanted to say that I think Davis is a lock because by the simple fact he was a 4th round pick.

Before saying that I looked up all the 4th round WR draft picks since 2009.

The were 54 WRs selected in the 4th round.

The only 1st year cut was Greg Childs in 2012 from the Vikings.

In 2014 Shaquelle Evans was put on IR and never made the team the next year.

The other 52 went on to play games in the NFL.

After seeing that I'm going out on a limb and saying Gabriel Davis makes the team as long as he doesn't keep putting his cleats on the wrong foot.

• Like (+1) 3

I like Duke, mostly because I enjoyed his CFL play for 2 seasons. I was rooting for Duke last year to make it.

I do not think there is a spot for Duke now, with Diggs, Davis and Hodgins added, Davis likely to the 53.

I do not see the similarity to Fred Jackson though. Coe College vs Auburn U, where Duke had disciplinary issues, and was kicked off the team.

How about Fred? Troublemaker? No.

No similarities at all, but carry on.

• Like (+1) 1

I definitely respect the opinions in this thread... I just feel like Duke was out for blood those last two games and he produced pretty well. I feel like he can carry that into this season. He might not be Fred Jackson yet... hes not 6'5 but he plays like a elite size receiver... there are elite size receivers that play small. 

One thing... I definitely respect Fred... he did play running back though. RB is an easier position to transition from one league to another. 

Just because Duke had character issues in the past doesn't define who he is. He is a high character guy today. It radiates in his interviews and all his teammates and coaches say the same. 

Duke and Fred their first year were both high character guys and that's all that counts.

Edited by akcash

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hodgins and McKenzie are hardly locks. It will be a battle this Aug. I still think Josh has a little chemistry with Duke. McK is nothing more than a 1 play gadget guy.

And gadget players have value. Big slow WRs who drop the ball don't. Hodgins offers everything Williams does and a lot more. 

Edited by Mountain Man

On 5/10/2020 at 8:10 PM, Bangarang said:

He’ll join Da’Rick Rogers and Brandon Reilly as Bills legends.

Please don’t ignore past Bills legends like Kwame Cavil and Kamil Loud.