Duke Williams Fred Jackson Comparison

43 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Found it! 

I had to sift through about 10 Duke threads from around the playoff game to find the right one, but here it is: 

If you want to preserve your sanity and avoid sifting through 12 pages of ridiculousness, here's the nail in the "it wasn't a drop" argument's coffin. 

you shall see the truth, and the truth shall set you free...

@Don Otreply
@Giuseppe Tognarelli
@EmotionallyUnstable

Now, that doesn't mean Duke can't be a good player, but I doubt he makes the team over the young blood brought in. 

Man that video hurts my soul.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Found it! 

I had to sift through about 10 Duke threads from around the playoff game to find the right one, but here it is: 

If you want to preserve your sanity and avoid sifting through 12 pages of ridiculousness, here's the nail in the "it wasn't a drop" argument's coffin. 

you shall see the truth, and the truth shall set you free...

@Don Otreply
@Giuseppe Tognarelli
@EmotionallyUnstable

Now, that doesn't mean Duke can't be a good player, but I doubt he makes the team over the young blood brought in. 

Thank for proving me right, it was PI ,  you’re awesome ? 

Jackson was behind 2 first rd picks at his start in Buffalo.  As an undrafted unheralded player I get the comparison.  Jackson was held back due to the investment made at his position though.  When given an oppurtunity he made the most of all of them.  Williams had a chance last year to take hold of a spot.  I dont think he did.  The drafting of Davis and Hodgins tells you what Beane thinks aswell.  At a certain point you gotta make the plays.  Potential is just a word.  Its something that Williams has had since highschool, besides 1 year in Canada, he has never realised.  

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The D back was pulling his arm away from the catch, it was PI and it was shown to be so on film review, do I wish he pulled it in? Damn right I do, we all do.  I suspect we will see a leaner quicker Duke this season, he finished the season .6 behind Beasley in catch percentage, virtually tied for 2nd best of the wide receivers this past season. Sadly the receivers  to include TEs and RBs have had the dropsies for two consecutive seasons. Fix that alone and we score more and win more. 

59 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It was likely PI, but it was still a drop. I do see you didn't say it wasn't a drop, so I may have incorrectly lumped you in with the other "not a drop" people.

I may be in the minority but I'll always root for the underdog. The Bills have been underdogs most of their existence. Hope Duke makes it as the last wr. Other than the drop that would've made him a legend, Duke made the most of the few opportunities he got last year. The haters will always mock. They'll root for him to fail just to spite themselves. I'll let the coaches figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It was likely PI, but it was still a drop. I do see you didn't say it wasn't a drop, so I may have incorrectly lumped you in with the other "not a drop" people.

Well ya see,  grabbing the receivers arm is not making a play on the ball, which is what he is supposed to be doing, so it is PI every time a defender does that before the ball arrives,  the defender is purposefully breaking the rules that are in place when he does that. PI should have been called, the footage proves it. Duke didn’t make the catch because of the rule breaking tactic used by his opponent. ??

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well ya see,  grabbing the receivers arm is not making a play on the ball, which is what he is supposed to be doing, so it is PI every time a defender does that before the ball arrives,  the defender is purposefully breaking the rules that are in place when he does that. PI should have been called, the footage proves it. Duke didn’t make the catch because of the rule breaking tactic used by his opponent. ??

Wrong. Duke has a clear shot at the ball well before the Back reaches in. The Pass interference is the arm bar across his thigh as the Ball arrives. Arm bars get called 50% of the time usually based on angle/the refs personal proclivities. Once Duke drops the ball, then tries to catch it again, the DB has the right to reach in and break up the pass (though the arm pull is probably illegal, but on a bobble it's not gonna get called) Did you watch the video? 

This is the drop, right here: 

181029924_ScreenShot2020-05-11at12_27_51AM.png.de4fae09f7f51b684a6d6ef100a3c9aa.png

He didn't catch the ball because he dropped it. He then didn't recover the ball at the second attempt because the DB pulls his arm. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They feel totally different to me. Freddy was a small school guy who was slept on for so long and kept grinding and when he got his shot, he proved he was a playmaker. Duke was a guy in the limelight, who blew all of the chances he had and then had to grind to get another shot. While he made some nice plays for us, he’s kind of look like a jag. And when ur number is called a limited amount, you have to catch the ball. 

The way that Hodgins catches the ball, he easily beats Duke out. He can do everything Duke can, but better, plus he’s younger. Duke is stronger, but Hodgins has him beat everywhere else. I was excited about Duke, I watched a ton of him at Auburn, but I think he is going to struggle to make the team. I won’t count him out, but he is closer to “out of the league” than anything remotely approaching Fred Jackson. 

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Wrong. Duke has a clear shot at the ball well before the Back reaches in. The Pass interference is the arm bar across his thigh as the Ball arrives. Arm bars get called 50% of the time usually based on angle/the refs personal proclivities. Once Duke drops the ball, then tries to catch it again, the DB has the right to reach in and break up the pass (though the arm pull is probably illegal, but on a bobble it's not gonna get called) Did you watch the video? 

This is the drop, right here: 

181029924_ScreenShot2020-05-11at12_27_51AM.png.de4fae09f7f51b684a6d6ef100a3c9aa.png

He didn't catch the ball because he dropped it. He then didn't recover the ball at the second attempt because the DB pulls his arm. 

Drop or no drop, that wasn’t an easy catch, especially for basically a #3 WR. And of every Bills receiver in that game, Duke probably played the best and made the most difficult and contested catches all game. People too forget John Brown inexplicably just stepped out of bounds on a critical catch to the 5-yard line. that was a far worse mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Drop or no drop, that wasn’t an easy catch, especially for basically a #3 WR. And of every Bills receiver in that game, Duke probably played the best and made the most difficult and contested catches all game. People too forget John Brown inexplicably just stepped out of bounds on a critical catch to the 5-yard line. that was a far worse mistake. 

Definitely not easy, but doable. The problem is that that play is why Dukes roster spot exists. His ability to fight through contact and make that catch is what gives him value to us. Of course, one play doesn’t define him, and I am certain he’ll get a fair shake to prove his worth going forward, but I personally expect it to be hard for him to crack the roster given the improvements made to the WR room. As of now I expect it to be: 

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

Hodgins

Roberts

And if they keep a 7 I think McKenzie has the pole position at this point. 

Also, I don’t forget the Brown thing. That’s just as heartbreaking. But Brown has way more leash to play with when it comes to mistakes, for someone like Duke, who is a fringe roster player, he’s gotta make the most of the chances he gets- especially on that stage.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He did not drop that ball. The DB knocked it out. Williams made several key contested catches in that game; people seem to forget that and want to hate on him for not making a spectacular highlight-reel catch in the end zone. The blame on Williams on this board has been way out of hand.

The ball hit him in the hands. The db didn't knock it out of his hands. He dropped it. Before the dbs hand got in there. Also, with a minute left in regulation, he drops another very important pass. Yep, right in his hands and contested. Hope he's beaten out by the rookies. They have higher ceilings than Duke. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What about the part where he dropped the td then we blew the lead.    

Did you actually watch the game.  The DB made a great play.

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

The ball hit him in the hands. The db didn't knock it out of his hands. He dropped it. Before the dbs hand got in there. Also, with a minute left in regulation, he drops another very important pass. Yep, right in his hands and contested. Hope he's beaten out by the rookies. They have higher ceilings than Duke. 

Wrong.  The DB mugged him.  It should have been PI in my opinion.

PI or not it was still a great game saving play by the DB.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Doesn't look like PI to me. The defender grabbed his arm after Duke touched the ball. Duke jumped into the defender to attempt the catch. Not sure how it could be considered PI.

I would never want to see that called PI even in favor of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, akcash said:

Its starting to feel like this guy is Fred Jackson 2.0. They were both similar ages when they stuck in the NFL... they both have elite size and enough speed for their position and are crafty. They both came from alternative lower leagues... They both posted huge games in their first year. Both high character guys. I'm rooting for this guy. I think it's going to be a FIERCE battle between him and Hodges. I think that Houston game gave him alot of confidence and also a big chip on his shoulder.

I think a better Brandon Reilly 2.0 is a better comparison. A fan favourite for a portion of the fan base with little to deserve it. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The way that Hodgins catches the ball, he easily beats Duke out.

I agree, he was far better hands and body control. With his age I don't see them keeping Williams around on the PS either. 

• Like (+1) 1

He should've been developed as a TE in college.  It will be interesting to see who they keep out of Davis, Hodgins, Duke, and Foster.  I assume they keep six and with five spots most likely locked in already (Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, Roberts), it should be a hell of a fight for that last spot.  

Edited by Doc Brown

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He did not drop that ball. The DB knocked it out. Williams made several key contested catches in that game; people seem to forget that and want to hate on him for not making a spectacular highlight-reel catch in the end zone. The blame on Williams on this board has been way out of hand.

You can’t just make stuff up because you like the guy.   

He dropped the ball.   We drafted 2 more wideouts.      Best of luck to him, he’s gonna need it.