Can Any of the 2020 Draft Picks Start?

Irv

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at. I think that Singletary will get about 70% of the snaps but that may be a little high. Epenesa will be in the regular DE rotation as well. Those 2 positions, along with DT, the Bills don’t really have starters and backups. They play a rotation. Those 2 players will be in the rotation. 

I believe that Bass wins the kicker job.

As a little bit of an off-the-radar guess it’s possible (not likely) that Trey Adams wins the RT job.

You have a keen eye for hidden talent. Trey Adams is an interesting prospect. The issue with him is his health. He sustained a torn ACL in 2017 and missed most of 2018. Last year, he played with a bulky back. It was obvious that he didn't fully regain his form and live up to his potential. He's not just a big body who overmatched most of the players he went against in college. He is considered a good technician who knows how to play the position. That certainly is critical in making the leap from the college game to the pro game where you are not going to overmatch the opposition as much as you are going to stalemate them. 

It's not unreasonable to believe that if Adams didn't have to contend with the accumulated injuries in his career he had the talent to be a second or more likely a third round prospect. This is a player who after a year in a pro training program and using the time to get healthy and refresh his body he can eventually be a solid starting RT or more likely a quality backup player. And that would certainly be a terrific value pick.  

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How did you feel when Oliver made the joke about coats in the Bills interview the year before? Just curious as to how people viewed that...

I was aware of the coat issue on the sidelines in college, but did not hear/remember about the joke made in the Bills interview. To me, it seemed like the coach had told him not to wear the coat in the locker room but Ed did anyway. But that's my opinion.

In any case, the actions of the clubs are the deciding factor. If you had asked me before the draft if Trey would have been drafted I wouldn't have had much of a clue, the interview was just some smoke. Since he wasn't, that means the interview was the tip of the iceburg and teams who do all the other research into character etc found enough to not take him. Even if his drop had just been about injury there should have been a taker on day 3 considering the facilities available to professional players. That didn't happen.

In Ed's case, the Bills' research put the joke in context, and that context did not stop the Bills from taking Ed. If the Bills had uncovered evidence of a personality trait they did not like then he would not have been taken by us.

I said this in another post, but I think Trey will be a test for the culture we have. He needs to go out there and compete, which means every day and I hope our team can bring it out in him. This won't be college where he was big enough to impose his will on people and not work on his strength and technique. I also don't see releasing a hype video as a great start to a professional career when the league's teams have already told you they don't value you enough to spend a draft pick on you.

As with the draft, I don't know if Trey will make the 53 or practice squad or we'll find a way to get him on IR, but what the Bills do with him will tell me how seriously he is taking this opportunity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I was aware of the coat issue on the sidelines in college, but did not hear/remember about the joke made in the Bills interview. To me, it seemed like the coach had told him not to wear the coat in the locker room but Ed did anyway. But that's my opinion.

In any case, the actions of the clubs are the deciding factor. If you had asked me before the draft if Trey would have been drafted I wouldn't have had much of a clue, the interview was just some smoke. Since he wasn't, that means the interview was the tip of the iceburg and teams who do all the other research into character etc found enough to not take him. Even if his drop had just been about injury there should have been a taker on day 3 considering the facilities available to professional players. That didn't happen.

In Ed's case, the Bills' research put the joke in context, and that context did not stop the Bills from taking Ed. If the Bills had uncovered evidence of a personality trait they did not like then he would not have been taken by us.

I said this in another post, but I think Trey will be a test for the culture we have. He needs to go out there and compete, which means every day and I hope our team can bring it out in him. This won't be college where he was big enough to impose his will on people and not work on his strength and technique. I also don't see releasing a hype video as a great start to a professional career when the league's teams have already told you they don't value you enough to spend a draft pick on you.

As with the draft, I don't know if Trey will make the 53 or practice squad or we'll find a way to get him on IR, but what the Bills do with him will tell me how seriously he is taking this opportunity.

I think Trey will take the opportunity seriously.  The dude clearly loves football, as evidenced by playing after 2 serious injuries and with a bulky back last year.  He is also known as a good technician, which indicates that he studies the game/position.  Then as an UDFA, he made two Buffalo Bills hype videos.  I think he is excited to be here.  

44 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Trey will take the opportunity seriously.  The dude clearly loves football, as evidenced by playing after 2 serious injuries and with a bulky back last year.  He is also known as a good technician, which indicates that he studies the game/position.  Then as an UDFA, he made two Buffalo Bills hype videos.  I think he is excited to be here.  

There's a difference between loving to play the game and being a professional football player. The competition he will face both from his oline teammates as well as from our defensive front should open his eyes. I think his technique isn't good, but when he plays against smaller guys it looks better than it actually is. That's why his feet look slow when he plays against better competition. For example, if you had 4-6 inches on another person, it would be easier for you to impose your will him.

I think he's a very long shot. It will be easier for him to get injured again and blame it all on that. 

The DE snd RB drafted in 2nd and 3rd will play and contribute.  It’s far easier for aRB to do so earlier in the season.

i don’t know how different the RBs are in style to know if it could matter.  If  the draft RB is more of a power RB he coukd start against teams focusing on the pass leaving middle of field open.

Hopefully, most of them would be able to start.....IF they were forced to due to injury.

Players are going to get injured. It is just a matter of how seriously. If rookies are forced to, it would be great if at least some of them could be talented, and coached up enough to play well.