Who remembers 3 TD's in 1 minute, 17 seconds ?

LB48

I was here in Colorado at a local sports bar called the Dublin House.  It was the local Bills Backers Bar.

Filled with Bills and Broncos fans.  They were in our faces the whole game but we (Bills fans) stuck it out till the end.

It was priceless!

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Watched it at my parent's house in West Seneca.  Before that scoring frenzy happened, Denver RB Bobby Humphrey was running all over us that game.  

Thank you for this! Made for a fun 3 hours today!

• Thank you (+1) 1

What a game ... But that Bobby Humphrey was a real mystery. The Bills had no answer for him . He looked like a future Hall of Famer his first couple seasons, but then maybe he held out(?), and after just sort of disappeared. But I also recall he was on the Bills preseason roster some seasons later.

1 hour ago, Stranded in Boston said:

What a game ... But that Bobby Humphrey was a real mystery. The Bills had no answer for him . He looked like a future Hall of Famer his first couple seasons, but then maybe he held out(?), and after just sort of disappeared. But I also recall he was on the Bills preseason roster some seasons later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Humphrey

Its called the "Blizzard of 77"

I can find no reference of this term on the internet specifically pertaining to this game.

however I vividly remember it being used in a telecast.

Edited by DrDare

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Well before my time, but I watched the clip and i can imagine the feelings some of you 

They used to quiet the crowd/allow extra time for the offense due to a loud crowd? What the heck! 

Was this before 2 point conversations? Bills go up 8 and the commentator says they need a TD and a fieldgoal. 

Yes, in 1989 they added a crowd noise rule. The visiting QB could complain to the refs that they couldn't hear and the ref would stop the clock and warn the crowd. If they didn't quiet down enough, they can start taking timeouts from the home team or assess a 5 yd penalty if they were out of timeouts. The defense would actually help to quiet the crowd instead of asking them to make more noise. Not sure when they got rid of the rule, maybe when the qb started having electronic communication with the sideline. Also, yes, pre 2 point conversion being an option. Converting via a run or pass was 1 point then (college had it worth 2 as far back as I know of).

I remember my father (a Giants fan) and I were watching.  He said this is over and went to take a shower.  Minutes later I was going insane....The next week I believe we were down to the raiders late on Sunday night.  He said this is over and went to bed.  Minutes later I was going crazy.  To this day it's a joke between us that if the Bills are losing he has to find something to do.  If only he had been doing something else for Norwood's kick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Basically he held out,  team stuck to their guns, he came back out of shape and in meantime the team found someone else.

It is something which I wish would happen more.

18 hours ago, LB48 said:

What year, who was the opposition and who scored the winning TD???   A great memory in Bills history!

Denver

the FG woukd have added to the lead..at 21-9. A FG in the 4th would make it a 3 score game

block FG then to return

lenord Smith INT return for TD ..missed xtra pt

tbotched return and penalty put them at 5 Then bad exchange fumble turn over then Davis TD for 29-21.

I was at game . Crazy day. That was the loudest game I can remember especially after the second touchdown. Place went nuts. As previously stated we were getting smacked earlier in the game so the Broncos took the fans out of the game. The third TD and the roof came off. Great day great memories ?

• Like (+1) 1

Great win for the Bills for sure but i have a couple observations . 

If that was 91 this game could have been the blue print for the loss in the SB .

And the second is how the F was Jeff Wright a NT at 6' 2" & 274 lbs ??

The guy must have been pretty strong it's no wonder teams could run on the Bills those years a LB is the same size as he was .

16 minutes ago, T master said:

Great win for the Bills for sure but i have a couple observations . 

If that was 91 this game could have been the blue print for the loss in the SB .

And the second is how the F was Jeff Wright a NT at 6' 2" & 274 lbs ??

The guy must have been pretty strong it's no wonder teams could run on the Bills those years a LB is the same size as he was .

You can see in video how strong he was pushing linemen into backfield. And not many LBs are 272 which was his usual playing weight.

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Was that the loudest crowd ever or what?

HUDS...I was 13 rows back, Denver side, 40 plus yard line...it was...so gloriously loud.  

I was with my brother Pat and after the block and the run back I just thought to myself, "Man...there is just no way we are losing this game."

God it was such a magical time.  

Heck, even before that, even in earlier seasons.  Frank Reich comes in for three straight in 89, including a ridiculous comeback win against the Rams (Thursday or Monday night, at home, I can't remember).  There are such story book moments from 88-93.

Even in '95, and please forgive me for this and I wished the Great Coach RIP last week, but the trouncing of Miami, at home, in the playoffs that sent Shula into retirement...I think leaving Levy as the all time winning-est coach against him (something like 15-5).

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 2