Who remembers 3 TD's in 1 minute, 17 seconds ?

LB48

6 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I remember it well, sort of. Was in the stands at Rich stadium as it was called at the time. Left for the bathroom as the Broncos were lining up for the field goal that was blocked and returned. Ended up missing most of the scoring.

That blocked field goal and the return is what made me realize how good Biscuit was going to be for the Bills.  I was at the game.  I remember having a good time in the parking lot after the game.  People were pumped.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think if this board existed then that fans would have said "we're a year away"

I knew the future looked bright for the Buffalo Bills in 1987 after that second Miami game. The Bills won that second game 27-0 and Miami didn't even cross the 50 yard line until late in the 4th quarter.

The Dolphins benched Dan Marino and put in Don Strock. Marino had a passing rate of 25.7, and Strock wasn't much better at 58.3. They couldn't run, they couldn't throw. 

Bills RB's Ronnie Harmon and Rickey Porter were tearing it up. 

I bought season tickets for the 88 season after being at this game. 

Well before my time, but I watched the clip and i can imagine the feelings some of you experienced! 

Also, some things I noticed:

The blocked fg is given up by Rick Dennison... Yes, that Rick Dennison.

They used to quiet the crowd/allow extra time for the offense due to a loud crowd? What the heck! 

Was this before 2 point conversations? Bills go up 8 and the commentator says they need a TD and a fieldgoal. 

• Like (+1) 1

That 4th qtr comeback was tremendous.  I was 25 living in Atlanta.  Just graduated law school.  My roommate and I used to go to a sports bar called Dirty Al's to watch the Bills on the old satelite dishes.  The place was rocking every weekend w all the College and Pro games on.  But that game was on local TV in Atlanta that Sunday.  I remember we were going nuts watching in our apartment.  Criqui was a great play by play guy.  And NBC's production of an NFL broadcast was great also.  And I loved the old artificial turf we used to have.  Looked great on TV.  The next Sunday we beat the Raiders on the blocked punt on the old Sunday nite NFL games on TNT.  And we were off to the races.  If we had Christie that year, we would have been Super Bowl Champions.  Norwood was garbage.  (Look how he missed the extra point after the interception return)  I was at the Super Bowl in Tampa.  What a great time until the last play!!  Pretty heartbreaking.  We are now 30 years later.  The world is so different.  But the NFL and football in general still rocks!!  But dam life flies by!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I remember it well, sort of. Was in the stands at Rich stadium as it was called at the time. Left for the bathroom as the Broncos were lining up for the field goal that was blocked and returned. Ended up missing most of the scoring.

You going to the bathroom was the good luck that led to the Bills’ winning! ..or at least that’s how I would look at it ?

59 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Same!

The Broncos finally had a RB to complement their pass game and he was tearing Buffalo a new one. Bobby Humphrey, 34 rushes for 177 yards, 1 TD.

Jim Kelly was putting up Josh Allen type numbers that day 18 of 34 for 167, 1 INT. Sacked 4 times. 5 rushes for 6 yards. ToP 34:49 vs Bills 25:11. 

Thurman was held in check with 13 rushes for 36 yards...

Things looked very grim till that 77 seconds happened in the 4th. Buffalo won the game by a point 29-28. Don't forget, Elway was the "comeback kid"

At the end of the game the look on John Elway's face was priceless... in disbelief. :D

maybe Season 1 Josh Allen numbers?

Either way, yes! I was there with my Dad. Will never forget that magic couple of minutes!

Edited by 34-78-83

9 hours ago, LB48 said:

What year, who was the opposition and who scored the winning TD???   A great memory in Bills history!

this is THE defining moment for those 90s Bills teams. I recalled it then and afterwards that that was our watershed moment. It moved us from being good to being the elite team they would become. 

Denver. The win was great. But Scott Norwood missed two easy field goals and an extra point in that game. It was the game in which I realized that if the Bills ever came down to the last seconds and needed a field goal to win, Norwood was going to blow it. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

Tks for the memory

3 items

1) After the run back by biscuit the noise on the upper deck coming from the lower bowl was deafening you could not here what your friend was saying next to you

2) everyone in the whole stadium was standing, after the Davis td bills side upper deck felt like it was actually swaying from everyone jumping up and down (could have been the booze)

3) when Denver came back out on offense the noise lever multiplied by at least 2x

never heard it that loud before(my mom said the lower bowl people are full of hot air)

Note:  could not here for days days after and had no voice

Ps still brings chills to my spine watching

Hopefully the younger people on this board will get this in time

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I was there.

Me too, the team that never quit was what I was thinking as they pulled off the amazing reversal.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Jaguars in London when EJ came in. 

The Bills did light it up after the game was over.  (EJ's famous deer in the headlights incidents also come to mind earlier in the game)

• Like (+1) 1

That whole span of time was pretty much a passing of the torch in the AFC.  Broncos had been the team to beat in recent years, winning 3 of the prior 4 AFC championships, and then Buffalo pulls this one out and proceeds to replace Denver with 4 straight AFC titles.

Edited by Talley56

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Was this before 2 point conversations? Bills go up 8 and the commentator says they need a TD and a fieldgoal. 

Yes it was.  And they were partly wrong - they could have won with a TD and safety not just a TD and FG.