How McDermott and Frazier confuse offenses

Football players in the NFL are the best of the best as are the coaches.

Offenses today are more complex and evolved than ever before. Offenses attack defenses with speed , vertically and horizontally to stretch defenses

3-4 WR sets to attack weaknesses at CB or LBr

There are lots of advantages to the offense

Sean has combatted this by creating a scheme based on gap integrity , complex coverages in the secondary and timely blitzes

I have 2 diagrams that show how Sean will confuse offenses pre and post snap and get QBs to hold the ball longer or panic and get rid of it too soon

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Diagram 1 shows Sean's lauded dual a gap look. The diagram is from when he is in Carolina but the principal the same

This is designed to confuse offensive lines and quarterbacks pre-snap. This is a third-down staple of McDermott's defense

He doesn't even need to bring both linebackers in the A gap. It's about preplay confusion and making the quarterback hold on to the ball a split-second longer

From here he can run any number of coverage from cover one to cover 3.. this also forces the quarterback to make a decision about Max protecting.. because the bills show six... Max protecting plays into the bills defenses hand because they only want three receivers going on a route

And after Sean bluffs 4 third Downs in a row. He will bring the dual A gap pressure and they're not ready for it

QBs tend to check down instantly or get eaten up because the look confuses them

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diagram 2 shows Sean's favorite coverage from last year. Palms coverage out of a cover 4 look

Palms coverage is a very advanced coverage that most NFL teams don't even run its so complex. It all comes down to the awareness and the communication between corner and safety tandems

It's a quarters look with man elements depending on the offensive look.. where out routes are cover 4 killers , Palms counteracts that

Outside corners in quarters coverage CONVERT to MAN on slot out routes. Changing from quarters coverage to man.

The safeties in quarters coverage THEN became man up on the outside receivers

This is a very complex design but smart corners like Tre and Levi and Safeties like Hyde and Poyer allow us to execute this advance coverage almost flawlessly

Tres reaction and closing speed is Elite and this plays right into his hands

Now defenses don't know how to attack Buffalo's cover 4 because the green areas ARE NO LONGER GREEN

The slot wide receivers dictate what technique our corners and safeties will play

01-sky.png

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think Diagram 1 shows the Patriots?

Carolina.  The OP mentions this, but states the defense is still the same as what McD runs at Buffalo today.

• Like (+1) 2

If you have the personnel to run palms coverage. Which 95% of the NFL doesn't...

You are at a strict X's and O's advantage. As I said in the OP, the modern NFL offense stretches you vertically and horizontally

Cover 4 has long been used to counteract teams vertically. But it's horizontally challenged

The palms coverage gives the bills the best possible way of counteracting teams vertically and horizontally on the same play

This is a reason why the bills did not give up any bombs really. The base quarters of palms is amazing against verticals, and when it shifts to its man elements, Tres reaction speed allows him to get to out breaking routes at will

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Everyone always says it’s all about how much ground our Safety’s can cover. They give our defense freedom to disguise a ton. They both are so excellent and their value goes way beyond the stat sheet.

Well Sean used quarters coverage more than anything last year and both our safeties can take infinite ground away playing that technique

You could also disguise it in 50 different ways. There's a reason we weren't beat over the top last year

• Like (+1) 1

Good stuff

You need smart safeties who can adjust and make the right calls...like in regular cover2 they'll stay leveraged on WR1 until the second crosses vertical which is standard play, now they play all verticals I believe? Need to communicate w/ corners to come off into flat and pick up deep routes

Edmunds' range and instincts to settle into gaps and then Milano's athleticism wipes out a lot of underneath stuff but I've seen Poyer come up to LOS diagnose a run check and somehow White magically drifts into zone behind to cover...the whole secondary plays off each other so well

You need to have brains to play DB in McDermott and Frazier's defense

• Like (+1) 5

How much of a role does Frazier play, besides the obvious that he is the DC?  This is McD's architected defense, but McD doesn't want to be the DC, at least not on game day.  Is Frazier just McD's proxy or does he have more of an input?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Good stuff

You need smart safeties who can adjust and make the right calls...like in regular cover2 they'll stay leveraged on WR1 until the second crosses vertical which is standard play, now they play all verticals I believe? Need to communicate w/ corners to come off into flat and pick up deep routes

Edmunds' range and instincts to settle into gaps and then Milano's athleticism wipes out a lot of underneath stuff but I've seen Poyer come up to LOS diagnose a run check and somehow White magically drifts into zone behind to cover...the whole secondary plays off each other so well

You need to have brains to play DB in McDermott and Frazier's defense

There are a lot of cover 2 variations but typically the squatting cornerback in cloud coverage will play the vertical from underneath leverage if all are running verts

And yes McDermott Fraser's system is as much about brains as it is talent

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

There are a lot of cover 2 variations but typically the squatting cornerback in cloud coverage will play the vertical from underneath leverage if all are running verts

Brains and communication.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

How much of a role does Frazier play, besides the obvious that he is the DC?  This is McD's architected defense, but McD doesn't want to be the DC, at least not on game day.  Is Frazier just McD's proxy or does he have more of an input?

Frasier is a huge part of what we do no doubt

He started a little slow but his playcalling is very very good and he knows situational football and what McDermott wants out of his defense. I think he needed that wake up call 2 years ago

Though I doubt he's the one that implemented palms coverage or the Dual a gap looks. He is more of a teacher and developer than white board play designer

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Frasier is a huge part of what we do no doubt

He started a little slow but his playcalling is very very good and he knows situational football and what McDermott wants out of his defense. I think he needed that wake up call 2 years ago

Though I doubt he's the one that implemented palms coverage or the Dual a gap looks

Worth saying though that Frazier was a Jim Johnson guy as well as McDermott. He did then have experience in that Dungy Tampa 2 scheme as well and has run bits of both in his career as a DC. While I have no doubt McDermott remains the architect of the scheme I think Frazier has more input than most imagine. As a play caller I think he is decent but when he gets stuck in a rut I think it is because his tendency when teams start to move the ball on him is to get more conservative and predictable (the idea being simplify the calls let the players play fast). 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I expect to see a lot more hurry up against the defense this season

The only time they can get exposed is when they can't see/communicate checks at LOS because the offense is already moving into position

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Worth saying though that Frazier was a Jim Johnson guy as well as McDermott. He did then have experience in that Dungy Tampa 2 scheme as well and has run bits of both in his career as a DC. While I have no doubt McDermott remains the architect of the scheme I think Frazier has more input than most imagine. As a play caller I think he is decent but when he gets stuck in a rut I think it is because his tendency when teams start to move the ball on him is to get more conservative and predictable (the idea being simplify the calls let the players play fast). 

Very true and Johnson could dial up masterpieces

They both learned from a legend

Every play caller has positive and negative tendencies, and sure Fraser can be a little conservative at times but is usually right on the money and knows how to call a game within the flow

• Like (+1) 1