Gregg Williams

First of all I apologize for starting another thread. I have a drinking problem.

I was thinking about Gregg Williams last hour. The guy always seemed like a really good football coach. Why did he fail as a HC in Buffalo?

Does he have that John Tortorella quality where he’s good in small does, but his act eventually wears thin?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

First of all I apologize for starting another thread. I have a drinking problem.

I was thinking about Gregg Williams last hour. The guy always seemed like a really good football coach. Why did he fail as a HC in Buffalo?

Does he have that John Tortorella quality where he’s good in small does, but his act eventually wears thin?

This is believable. 

Is there another point here? 

• Haha (+1) 4

GW was a little hitler, using a bullhorn yelling at his players, they turned on him and Donahue sucked as a GM.  When they didn’t win, they canned the guy.  He was even a tool in NO.  He’ll never be more than a coordinator at best.  Oh, and go to a meeting.  I heard they work.  ?

• Like (+1) 2

If I remember correctly, he took a  top 5, 3-4 defense, and tried to turn it into a 4-3. His hiring came out of left field (Donahue wanted a newbie that way he wouldn't lose power in BFLO like he did to Cowher in Pittsburg, Plus good ol Ralphie hated to spend money on coaches so he was an easy sell to the owner). The little Nazi comment above makes sense. One of many reasons he didn't get another shot as HC.

<--------    This virus lockdown has us all drinking a little more than normal.

Edited by qwksilver

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GW was a little hitler, using a bullhorn yelling at his players, they turned on him and Donahue sucked as a GM.  When they didn’t win, they canned the guy.  He was even a tool in NO.  He’ll never be more than a coordinator at best.  Oh, and go to a meeting.  I heard they work.  ?

The bullhorn business is what I remember about the Gregg-o administration. Just a low class, first class jerk.

Fairly soon, the Bills had to leggo of old Gregg-o.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He did a tremendous job with the Jets D last year. The players seem to love playing for the guy. 

4 hours ago, KollegeStudnet said:

Thought he was going to get another shot with the Brownies, but still not surprised he’s still not a coach. Bountygate really did him in. 

having bottom ranked defense the last several years and still being an arse have done him in. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

This would be a good time to become a Bills fan.

The Jets from 1997 (year they hired Parcells) to 2012 made the playoffs 8/15 years won two divisions and appeared in 3 conf championship games. Like most franchises they sent through a couple of really bad seasons (2005 and 2007), but were mostly competitive. 

It all changed when ownership fired Tannenbaum-who was the last Parcells connection in the building. Ownership compounded the problem by keeping Rex which limited the pool of qualified GM candidates willing to take the job. As a result John Idzik was hired and within two years completely destroyed the roster. After Idzik was let go the Jets were once again searching for a GM and because the roster was in such bad shape they again had to settle for an unqualified candidate in Mike McCagnan who poured gasoline on Idziks fire. 

My point is that the Jets can absolutely get back to competence if not relevance. Joe Douglas is unproven, but by all accounts he is a qualified GM whom ownership had to write a blank check to in order to get him to take the job. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

having bottom ranked defense the last several years and still being an arse have done him in. 

His defensive scheme where he plays a safety in the next zip code is horrible.  While his aggressiveness defensively can wreak havoc against poorer QBs and offenses, the good ones can handle it easily.  Intermediate routes just kill it. 

He was not helped in Cleveland by hiring his son, Blake, who I’m told was a bigger a-hole than he was.  He was a particular problem because he was totally incompetent as a coach.  Gregg needs to improve his scheme, but he belongs in the NFL.  Blake does not. 

7 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

No problem. I can fix this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3