[Vague Title] Worth a look in my book...

14 hours ago, thurst44 said:

One, this doesn't affect that. Two, we have at least two back-ups at RT who have starting experience in the NFL, including one who was very recently an All Pro (and his three career penalties may be one of my favorite stats ever).

That being said: I love what they seem to be doing in trying to keep consistency on a line of relatively young starters. Ideally, Ford-Feliciano-Morse-Spain-Dawkins works out and benefits from being in their second year working as a unit.

Is that line that you mention good enuf is the big question.  I think the middle of our line is fine.  I think all three will improve some.  And I like our Guards more then most.  Not sure about our tackles.  A lot of you like Dawkins, and want to extend, extend, extend.  I think he has been average at best.  And would wait to see how he performs this year.  If he plays lights out, give him a big extension before next March when he will be an UFA.  If he doesn't want to sign, either tag him or let him walk.  I like Ford's toughness.  But his feet need to get quicker.  If not, Williams or Nseke have a chance to start at RT.  Between all the guys we have competing on O Line, other then Morse, everything should be wide open.  And the best 4 should surround him.  Those 5 should then be an above avg O line.  Johnson is a good coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

How many pro bowl OL do we have?

Do we have cap space?

Sign Warford and see if we can get a pick for Feliciano, Spain or whoever is odd man out. It’s an upgrade. 

Edited by ngbills

I know that Warford will cost a lot and the Bills already have a decent amount invested in their guards and that Morse makes a lot and that Dawkins is due for a payday, BUT...

Between:
- Familiarity with our o-line coach
- The fact that Warford is the EXACT type of guard our offensive staff seems to want in terms of body type and playing style
- The fact that Warford is 28 years old and coming off three straight Pro Bowls

- The fact that McDermott/Beane CLEARLY wanted to upgrade at guard but missed out on a targeted player or two in the draft
- The fact that Beane has held aside money and roster spots for exactly these type of scenarios
- The fact that Warford would UNDOUBTEDLY make our offensive line better
- The fact that Feliciano's deal only lasts for another year

I really, really hope the Bills throw caution to the wind just a little bit in this instance and sign Larry Warford. I don't think they will, but I really, really wish they would.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, boater said:

I see someone already replied to the effect of:  kick the tires, sign to a vet minimum prove-it deal, git er done. I'm mean he's a high motor with a nose for the ball process guy.

the guy is a pro bowl guard I doubt that he will sign anywhere for the vet minimum and he is only 28 years old,  however the one thing he has working against him is that teams have way less than they obviously did a month ago.

11 hours ago, billrooter said:

the guy is a pro bowl guard I doubt that he will sign anywhere for the vet minimum and he is only 28 years old,  however the one thing he has working against him is that teams have way less than they obviously did a month ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/11/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-patriots-scouts-cam-newton

Larry Warford gives us a perfect example of how cold the NFL can be. And it’s not that the ex-Saints guard—who made the Pro Bowl in each of his three years in New Orleans—is a victim for having been cut this week. He made $25.5 million over his time there. But his is a good example of how these things happen. Because of Drew Brees’s style of play, as a 6-foot quarterback who stays in the pocket, the Saints have always made a huge investment on the interior of their offensive line to give the quarterback the clean throwing lanes he needs. Warford has been a part of that, as were the two inside guys he played with (Andrus Peat, Erik McCoy) last year. So Sean Payton and Co. weren’t going to leave themselves wanting in that area by whacking Warford in March. But if they had a chance to get another interior guy, in Michigan center Cesar Ruiz, that they really liked? That’d chance things. And so they kept Warford as insurance, and pounced when Ruiz fell into their laps at No. 24. That, then, gave them the flexibility to save $8.5 million against the cap by cutting Warford—which wound up being another big plus for the team, given that the Saints came out of draft week with less breathing room under the cap ($3.85 million) than all but three other teams. Which, in turn, put Warford out there on the market at a time when most cap space has been spent and needs have been filled. That is a tough spot for the 29-year-old to be in. Good thing he already got paid.

C'mon Beane! You've tragically ignored this OL the entire offseason. Why? This guy would be a BIG upgrade at RG, so show us that you're serious about winning and make the effort at least. How can you not see the need?

On 5/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, boater said:

I see someone already replied to the effect of:  kick the tires, sign to a vet minimum prove-it deal, git er done. I'm mean he's a high motor with a nose for the ball process guy.

Prove what? He'd be the best OL on our roster on day 1. You're right, boater. Someone is just rubber stamping that response without even looking at the guy. I'm sure there are several teams that would love to sign him. I really, really hope we sign him. Am I the only one that thinks having a solid OL is important? I'll be very upset if he signs with the Jets or Dolphins and we just sit on our hands. Hey Beane! The right side of our OL is weak. Get this guy!

On 5/9/2020 at 7:18 AM, nucci said:

maybe vet minimum, prove it deal...team friendly....is he a process guy...good in the locker room....

He’s been to 3 last pro bowls , and a vet minimum? He will be looking at 13 million a year ( minimum IMO ) 

I’m not sure what kind of locker room guy is he , but he’s only 28 so he still got few good years ahead of him , I just don’t think Bean will be willing to spend that kind of money for. Guard 

25 minutes ago, Putin said:

He’s been to 3 last pro bowls , and a vet minimum? He will be looking at 13 million a year ( minimum IMO ) 

I’m not sure what kind of locker room guy is he , but he’s only 28 so he still got few good years ahead of him , I just don’t think Bean will be willing to spend that kind of money for. Guard 

My post was entirely sarcasm...I just used phrases many use when talking about a FA to sign

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Prove what? He'd be the best OL on our roster on day 1. You're right, boater. Someone is just rubber stamping that response without even looking at the guy. I'm sure there are several teams that would love to sign him. I really, really hope we sign him. Am I the only one that thinks having a solid OL is important? I'll be very upset if he signs with the Jets or Dolphins and we just sit on our hands. Hey Beane! The right side of our OL is weak. Get this guy!

I doubt he signs with either the Dols or Jets.  He'll want to go to a contender.