Harbaugh: Remove minimum age for draft and allow undrafted back at school

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Jim Harbuagh thinks the NFL should remove the minimum age/college requirement to enter the draft as well as allow undrafted kids to go back and play for their school. 

Removing minimum age/college requirement: I don't really care. I mean I wish there was more emphasis on getting degrees, but it really is not the NFL's job to push that, so remove it for all I care. From a physiological stand point, it is a violent game played by grown men. Seems like a bad idea to throw a 19 year old in the NFL. That said, if you have a 3rd round grade or better, and you want to leave school to go give it a try, that is up to you. There is a chance you make a life changing amount of money you may never get back if you get injured or stop progressing. 

Undrafted kids going back to school: This feels like a non-issue to me. My feels sensor says almost all UDFA's are seniors. I couldn't find a good list so I just went through Arizona's UDFA list and they were all seniors, as I expected. It is not like these guys have no idea what their draft grades are before they declare. Seems really unnecessary to allow athletes to declare and go back to school and is probably in the institutions favor and not the athletes. I am unsure what it provides. It isn't like there are a bunch of sophomore's with a 3rd round grade declares and wakes up needing to apply for student loans and no football team to play for. Just spit balling here, but maybe the NFL/NCAA sponsors a program for all college kids with NFL scouts, coaches, and GM's to provide some insight into when and if they should declare for the draft as underclassmen. I wouldn't trust an agent to do that just because they are chasing a paycheck. But the regional scout for an NFL team might tell an anxious underclassman to stay in school, they only see them as a 6th rounder. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29146934/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-wants-college-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft?platform=amp

OK then...  So, why wouldn't almost every player in college football then apply for the draft?  As long as I get drafted, I'm good to go right? 

So now the NFL instead of looking at ~300 players (guessing) now has to look at 5,6,700 players if not more.

This is shortsidedness for a *potential* handful of kids that could play at a younger age (this doesn't mean their body would hold up though).  The NFL has trouble figuring out which kids will be good right now after 3 years of tape... Can you imagine an 18 year old that *seems* physically able to do it, but you have almost ZERO tape on them and they have only been at a university for 1 semester?  This is sheer idiocy IMO.

Do you really want to see the end of an NFL roster with a bunch of *potentials*, but can't really help out your team?

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 and 19 year olds would be horrible in the NFL, physically, mentally and emotionally. 

If you declare and don't get drafted you should be able to go back and play out your college career.   It's stupid you can't.   There should be a 1 time cap though. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

18 and 19 year olds would be horrible in the NFL, physically, mentally and emotionally. 

If you declare and don't get drafted you should be able to go back and play out your college career.   It's stupid you can't.   There should be a 1 time cap though. 

In some cases maybe - i do think Running backs are using up hundreds of carries in college.  Really cuts into earning potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

In some cases maybe - i do think Running backs are using up hundreds of carries in college.  Really cuts into earning potential. 

Great point.  College coaches don’t care about their long term future.  They just want to win.  Some of these rbs are broken before they can get drafted.  I also think corners could make it at a younger age.

but it comes to a larger point.  Why can every other college student pursue their careers whenever they want?  Why can other sports, except football and basketball?  Do I think most freshmen could survive in the nfl?  Hell no, but they should be allowed to have the chance if they want.

I wonder how this would relate to recruiting by the Colleges. Do they really want athletes that are gonna leave after 1 year of Ball to enter the draft? Why spend all the time recruiting a player that is gonna up and leave after 1 season when there are likely many other recruits who would fill that position and be there 2-3 years longer. I could see the possibility of schools requiring commitments for minimum number of years. 

58 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great point.  College coaches don’t care about their long term future.  They just want to win.  Some of these rbs are broken before they can get drafted.  I also think corners could make it at a younger age.

but it comes to a larger point.  Why can every other college student pursue their careers whenever they want?  Why can other sports, except football and basketball?  Do I think most freshmen could survive in the nfl?  Hell no, but they should be allowed to have the chance if they want.

They are more than welcome to pursue their football career. But if they leave and it fails, they have to pay for the remainder of their degree. The NFLs draft age/time in college is no different than a job qualification being listed as must have MBA, BA/BS, 6 years work experience in X position/field, etc. I can’t go be a rep for Labatt, Anheiser Busch, etc. unless I am 21 either. 

A few thoughts...

1.)  I'm all for reducing draft eligibility from three to two years after graduating high school.  College football will still be popular and profitable running their cartel. 

2.)  Players that don't get drafted should be allowed to return to school if they are finishing their sophomore or junior year.

3.)  What about players drafted in the later rounds that get cut and not signed to a practice squad?  Was their any discussion of that scenario about them going back to school?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because the NFL said so. Start your own league if you don’t like it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

They are more than welcome to pursue their football career. But if they leave and it fails, they have to pay for the remainder of their degree. The NFLs draft age/time in college is no different than a job qualification being listed as must have MBA, BA/BS, 6 years work experience in X position/field, etc. I can’t go be a rep for Labatt, Anheiser Busch, etc. unless I am 21 either. 

You can if you have the right connections.  The guy who was running Busch killed a chick.  Andy Reid’s crackhead is a nfl coach.  Todd Haley was a college golfer.  

in every other sport, you can do pro right out of high school?  Why not in football and basketball?  Maybe to milk that free labor for billions? If you are good enough to go pro when you’re 18, you should be able to go.  I also find it funny that some of against this are also against government telling them what to do in their own lives. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If it ain't broke, why fix it. There's no reason for this.  I do support the idea of players with eligibility left being able to return to college football if they go undrafted.

It’s broke for a star freshman running back who blows out his knee because he can’t go pro right away.  Does anyone remember Marcus Lattimore? He would have been a high pick if he could have declared after his freshmen year.  Blows out his knee twice, gets drafted in the 4th eventually, never gets a nfl carry.  System didn’t work for him. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can if you have the right connections.  The guy who was running Busch killed a chick.  Andy Reid’s crackhead is a nfl coach.  Todd Haley was a college golfer.  

in every other sport, you can do pro right out of high school?  Why not in football and basketball?  Maybe to milk that free labor for billions? If you are good enough to go pro when you’re 18, you should be able to go.  I also find it funny that some of against this are also against government telling them what to do in their own lives. 

It’s broke for a star freshman running back who blows out his knee because he can’t go pro right away.  Does anyone remember Marcus Lattimore? He would have been a high pick if he could have declared after his freshmen year.  Blows out his knee twice, gets drafted in the 4th eventually, never gets a nfl carry.  System didn’t work for him. 

Its not about him. Give me a reason the NFL and NFLPA should change the rules? There isn't one. But I agree undrafted players with eligibility should be able to return.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Not the greatest comparison as I don't think an aspiring doctor or lawyer has to worry about tearing their ACL that could potentially ruin their career.  

I can't see waiving the age requirement being a good thing for young players.  They need to develop physically and mentally.

As for undrafted players getting their collegiate eligibility back, I think that's determined by the NCAA not the NFL.

I don't see the NFL doing it because they want to have the free farm system which makes evaluating easier.  The NBA claims that their age limit is for the good of the athlete, but that is crap.  It was put in place to save GMs jobs.  After the Lakers had such success with Kobe, nobody wanted to miss out on the next great player and GMs started drafting kids out of high school based on potential.  For every great player like LeBron, there were probably at least a half a dozen like Kwame Brown.  GMs were losing their jobs because they couldn't evaluate high school kids effectively.  They wanted a Carmelo Anthony to play at least a year against college kids so they could evaluate him against better competition.  In the NFL, I am sure there was a GM (probably working at One Bills Drive) who would have picked Maurice Clarett in the first round if he came out.  I think they much prefer the current system that gives them a few years of tape.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Nathan12O'Sullivan said:

I agree that it's nice to have an education so maybe age restriction is not a bad thing.

I mean the age restriction isn't really what forces that, it's college football essentially being the only minor league from which most NFL players come from that does that. If there was an actual minor/junior league that people could play in until they reached the age restriction people would do that too.

3 hours ago, Nathan12O'Sullivan said:

I agree that it's nice to have an education so maybe age restriction is not a bad thing.

Football Scholarships allow education access to for some 30,000 kids per year. Less than 200 per year make the NFL.  Why clog the filter or remove the step that incentives education?

my guess is this is just a ‘populist’ message as a recruiter, like if I’m voted school president we will have beer in the vending machines...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood