Harbaugh: Remove minimum age for draft and allow undrafted back at school

I wouldn't change the rule on age. But I would allow kids to go back to school who don't get drafted.

I just wonder how many players this affects. Are there a lot of unrestricted rookie free agents with college eligibility left?

The age requirement should go away.  If a kid isn’t physically ready, he won’t get drafted.  Why should Lawrence have to go back to Clemson if he’s gonna be a 1st round pick now?  Look at Tua.  He could’ve went just as high last year and came damn near close to suffering a career ending injury.  Don’t tell me about insurance policies.  A kid shouldn’t have to worry if an insurance policy is actually gonna pay out.  RB’s are probably the best example.  Too many carries in college is a negative for their pro prospects.  

I would like to know what guys like Bills Head of College Scouting Terrance Gray and his other 31 counterparts think about this.

If they see no problems with the possible swarm of underclassmen looking to get drafted then it could be a good thing for all.

I'm not sure but it probably already is a hard situation going through the amount of draftees as it is but if they think that it can be

handled then letting the "misses" go back to school is a good thing.

I would be concerned about having too young or too inexperienced college players eligible though.

Teams could take "flyers" on unproven young players with low draft picks and possibly ruin a young prospects career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tyree Jackson UB

Yes he red shirted his freshman year, but he also got a degree and graduated in 4. 

Good point though. I think I would be OK for going back for your final year of eligibility if you had a degree in hand. I was more thinking of true sophomores and juniors. 

Just now, Mango said:

Yes he red shirted his freshman year, but he also got a degree and graduated in 4. 

Good point though. I think I would be OK for going back for your final year of eligibility if you had a degree in hand. I was more thinking of true sophomores and juniors. 

Well he left with a year of eligibility and was an undrafted free agent. And true sophomores can't enter the draft

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MassHog said:

Tyree Jackson for another year at UB would have been awesome.

He as going to transfer before he declared. He needed another year at UB or somewhere else. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KRT88 said:

He as going to transfer before he declared. He needed another year at UB or somewhere else. 

Yeah, I always thought that maybe he declared because no big school offered him their starting job. 

• Like (+1) 1

The college eligibility requirements are one of the few things the NFL has gotten right.  They should not debase themselves to the level of the NBA.

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 1

These changes would hurt the NCAA a bit and it seems like the NFL doesnt like to step on it's free farm systems toes too much. You'd see studs leaving after one year. I kind of like it the way it is. It's better for player safety and it puts a bit of risk in declaring for the draft. I'm not really a huge college football fan either. I watch, but dont reslly have a team. 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

A college "kid" declares based on advice of an agent and then blows a knee or as a bad combine, etc and does not get drafted sure.

If the college player finishes year and does not quit college to pursue NFL that is.

Even could work for seniors with eligibility still who graduate and are undrafted.  We had such a player once who played lacrosse and in grad school played football.

If a player is drafted however and did not like where player was picked I have a different opinion but every one has one.

What agent?

Wouldn't this affect college more, especially the scholarship situations? Most schools have their scholarship spots filled by the Draft. Lets say they have 5 players not drafted that want to come back. Where do the scholarships come from?

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well he left with a year of eligibility and was an undrafted free agent. And true sophomores can't enter the draft

Whoops, I meant RS sophomores or true juniors.Good catch.

Either way leaving school and risking your college degree/another year of eligibility when you are projected to be a low round pick (and have MAYBE a 50% chance of making a team) or becoming an UDFA (and have an even smaller chance of making the team) is a really bad idea. There is no amount of legislation from the NCAA or NFL that will change that. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Whoops, I meant RS sophomores or true juniors.Good catch.

Either way leaving school and risking your college degree/another year of eligibility when you are projected to be a low round pick (and have MAYBE a 50% chance of making a team) or becoming an UDFA (and have an even smaller chance of making the team) is a really bad idea. There is no amount of legislation from the NCAA or NFL that will change that. 

That's very true but lots of times these guys have agents in their ears or family members telling them to take the money

Or they come from poverty and can sense how close they are to the money

But I agree. I knew Tyrees decision to leave with another year of eligibility was the wrong decision instantly.

Having seen every snap live over his career I knew he needed more reps

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's very true but lots of times these guys have agents in their ears or family members telling them to take the money

Or they come from poverty and can sense how close they are to the money

But I agree. I knew Tyrees decision to leave with another year of eligibility was the wrong decision instantly.

Having seen every snap live over his career I knew he needed more reps

I would feel better about it if there was say, some sort of NFL sanctioned pre-declaration seminar. Where regional scouts, GM's, coaches, whoever, from NFL teams just sit down with some of these kids and say "Hey, love the skill set you are building. Love that you want to take it to the next level. We have a 7th round grade on you. There is a a 85% chance you don't make a roster right now and your career is over with no degree. You want to prove to us how hungry you are to play at the next level. Wow us next season. Your footwork/route running/ flexibility blows. Make sure next year when we have this conversation those things aren't an issue and  I tell you I hope you are still on the board on day 2 when our pick comes around". 

It could be like an old folks home for retired GM's, or guys who just aren't working in the league anymore. What is Polian, Gill Brandt, Whaley,  Pat Kirwin etc. really doing these days? I am sure they are still watching tons of tape and could definitely get behind doing regional college scouting. 

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Your draft eligibility should stop on first day you sign contract and get paid - you are then a professional.  

I was out with some friends and there was an Amateur Comedy Night with prizes and they pushed me to sign up.  I told them I can't. I had been paid ($200) to do comedy show warm up for main act before.

Can I ask who you are? Huge standup comedy fan