NFL Backup QB Power Rankings

22 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So rookies who haven't played a down in the NFL are in the top 10.  The media is so clueless.

I mean I feel good that guys drafted in the first round are bigger threats than Chad Henne. Who are the 10 guys that people like more than the 1st round picks? Where should Joe Burrow fall on this list if he weren’t starting?

On 5/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know when you look up and down that list there aren’t 4 guys with more ability then Love. He will also be stepping in on a team that won 13 games. He can’t fall much lower. 

Oh you watched him in an NFL game or even an NFL practice.  How's that Top 10 pick with a whole lot of ability named Josh Rosen doing.

If I'm looking at who I want to base my future on I would want Tua and company.  However, if we play an NFL game tomorrow and I have to choose between Love or Barkley as my starter then I have to say Barkley.  Anyone who tries to say different is full of $**+.  Maybe after the preseason it will be a different story but as of right now that's the truth of it.

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean I feel good that guys drafted in the first round are bigger threats than Chad Henne. Who are the 10 guys that people like more than the 1st round picks? Where should Joe Burrow fall on this list if he weren’t starting?

Any Vet QB not named Peterman. 

We are not talking about a prospect to be a future starter.  We are talking about backup QBs.

Sorry didn't come out as I intended so I edited

Edited by formerlyofCtown

19 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Oh you watched him in an NFL game or even an NFL practice.  How's that Top 10 pick with a whole lot of ability named Josh Rosen doing.

If I'm looking at who I want to base my future on I would want Tua and company.  However, if we play an NFL game tomorrow and I have to choose between Love or Barkley as my starter then I have to say Barkley.  Anyone who tries to say different is full of $**+.  Maybe after the preseason it will be a different story but as of right now that's the truth of it.

Any Vet QB not named Peterman.  We are talking about a prospect to be a future starter.

So just to be clear you’d feel better starting Matt Barkley than Tua or Burrow week 1? If that’s the case I VEHEMENTLY disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it means you’re white, non threatening to the starting qb, and is friends with coaches.

and I’m kinda tongue in cheek about the white comment but it does seem like terrible white qbs last a long time as backups than other races don’t.  

Yeah, I always preface my Barkley sucks comments with he’s a really nice guy.

If you have played in 10+games and Have a 65 QBs rating, you’re awful.

Your argument is that you would rather have the terrible veteran qb over the young guy with a lot of upside who just hasn’t played?  I would take the chance than Love will end up with better than a 65 qb rating.  I would bet everything on that.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was tongue in cheek but I do think there is truth in it.  How many black backups qbs are there?  Why did Trubisky go ahead of Watson and Mahomes?  I think EJ was really good case for this.  Look at his numbers.  Had over 100 QB rating the preseason he got cut and no one signed him.  He is superior to a lot of backup QBs (dominates Barkley, better numbers than Gabbert and Henne).  Why do those guys get the jobs with worse production in a meritocracy business?   Jameis Winston signed for a $1 million.  Newton is unsigned (though I understand that more).   Even after his MVP season, people still question Jackson long term as a qb.  I truly believe if Allen has that season, there would zero of those posts. 

do I think the nfl is racist?  No but I do think there are subconscious attitudes towards some things.  Especially qb.  And save the nfl coaching fraternity thing.  It’s one of the biggest joke organizations in all of sports.  Terrible coaches get recycled while young guys struggle to get their break.  The NFL coaching fraternity is a joke.  Andy Reid’s Ed crack head son is now a nfl coach.  I’m sure he really paid his dues.

and of course Love can be a bust.  He’d still be better than Barkley, who is a nice guy but terrible. 

Instead of putting your tongue in your cheek, try putting it between your teeth .... then have Mike Tyson come and give you a ***** uppercut.

Been here a lot of years.  This is among the most ignorant, douchiest posts I've ever seen.  And that's saying a lot.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was tongue in cheek but I do think there is truth in it.  How many black backups qbs are there?  Why did Trubisky go ahead of Watson and Mahomes?  I think EJ was really good case for this.  Look at his numbers.  Had over 100 QB rating the preseason he got cut and no one signed him.  He is superior to a lot of backup QBs (dominates Barkley, better numbers than Gabbert and Henne).  Why do those guys get the jobs with worse production in a meritocracy business?   Jameis Winston signed for a $1 million.  Newton is unsigned (though I understand that more).   Even after his MVP season, people still question Jackson long term as a qb.  I truly believe if Allen has that season, there would zero of those posts. 

do I think the nfl is racist?  No but I do think there are subconscious attitudes towards some things.  Especially qb.  And save the nfl coaching fraternity thing.  It’s one of the biggest joke organizations in all of sports.  Terrible coaches get recycled while young guys struggle to get their break.  The NFL coaching fraternity is a joke.  Andy Reid’s Ed crack head son is now a nfl coach.  I’m sure he really paid his dues.

and of course Love can be a bust.  He’d still be better than Barkley, who is a nice guy but terrible. 

Yeah man, that’s why Brady Quinn was drafted before JaMarcus Russell. That’s why Cam Newton was drafted after Ponder, Gabbert and Locker.

Good post!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I re watched the Cheats at the Ralph game. I've changed my tune on Barkley. He actually played we'll in that game.

1st play was 3rd and 8 and he completed a 15 yard pass up the sidelines that John Brown caught while being interfered with.  He had st least 3 dropped passes that were On the money.  

On 4th and goal he hit Zay Jones in the hands in EZ that bounced off.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So just to be clear you’d feel better starting Matt Barkley than Tua or Burrow week 1? If that’s the case I VEHEMENTLY disagree.

For a game or two absolutely.  I know Matt Barkley can go .500 with this team.  Nobody knows what the other two are gonna do.  I don't need a starter so upside isn't important to me at this point.  You notice Barkley is still on our Roster and hasn't been cut just because we have Fromm on our roster.  I really like Fromm but he has done nothing in this league.

I will likely change my mind after the preseason but at this moment I believe I have a valid point.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

52 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

For a game or two absolutely.  I know Matt Barkley can go .500 with this team.  Nobody knows what the other two are gonna do.  I don't need a starter so upside isn't important to me at this point.  You notice Barkley is still on our Roster and hasn't been cut just because we have Fromm on our roster.  I really like Fromm but he has done nothing in this league.

I will likely change my mind after the preseason but at this moment I believe I have a valid point.

So are the Bengals making a mistake if they start Burrow over Ryan Finley week 1? One has played in the league and the other hasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like veteran backups because the backup quarterback position isn't about whether a guy can play now. It's about hitting the next Brady. If Josh Allen stinks or gets hurt, I'd rather put Fromm in to see what he can do than play Barkley because I already know Barkley won't win games. Most veteran backups won't, otherwise they wouldn't be backups. There should also be considerable separation between the starter and backups ability unless there's an open competition.

At the point where a backup QB has to play any number of games of consequence, a team's season is likely over. There are rare exceptions where a team has 2 guys that can start or doesn't know who the best guy is but it isn't normal and doesn't last long. Starting quarterbacks are expected to play 16 games.

Last season, QBs that started less than 10 games for their teams (the vast majority are backups) had a total record of 31-72 across the league for every team. That's 30%, meaning that the likely records are

-1-3 in 4 games.

-2-4 in 6 games

-2-6 to 3-5 in 8 games.

-3-7 in 10 games.

There's a lot of reasons for this. Mostly, backup QBs take 0 reps and don't really get a training camp, and they aren't very good to begin with or are prospects.

Only 3 had winning records.

Bridgewater went 5-0, but his situation was the rare one of a starter rehabbing an injury and he's now a starter.

Mason Rudolph went 5-3 for Pittsburgh and was benched for ineffectiveness because he wasn't good.

Drew Lock went 4-1 and is now a starter, it really had only one good game in that span.

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So are the Bengals making a mistake if they start Burrow over Ryan Finley week 1? One has played in the league and the other hasn’t. 

No they need to develope a starting QB.  That's not what this thread is about.  

My elementary school teacher used to have to tell me to stay on task and focus on the subject I was working on.  You should try it.  Your take and argument isn't what this thread is about.

51 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No they need to develope a starting QB.  That's not what this thread is about.  

My elementary school teacher used to have to tell me to stay on task and focus on the subject I was working on.  You should try it.  Your take and argument isn't what this thread is about.

Well when is it okay to start the young QB vs. the QB with experience? That’s EXACTLY what this conversation is about. Ryan Finley started 3 games last year. That’s 2 more than Barkley has started since 2016. It’s 3 more than Burrow has started. Why are we more comfortable with Burrow if he has never played?

People are talking out of both sides of their mouths in this thread. You either believe that you are better off with a scrub vet or a young guy with talent. As far as I’m concerned there are only 2 viable situations. You either have one of the vets that has started and had some success recently (ie Jameis, Dalton, Trubisky, Brissett, Keenum and Mariota) or the young guys with ability (Tua, Love, Herbert, Hurts). You can debate the order within those guys but, IMO no one else can even be considered. The next 2 would probably be Mullens and Allen. They kind of fall between those 2 categories. All 32 teams though would rather give Jordan Love or Justin Herbert a start than Chad Henne or Matt Barkley. They don’t need to see them take a snap to know that. That’s why everyone takes their first snap at some point. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well when is it okay to start the young QB vs. the QB with experience? That’s EXACTLY what this conversation is about. Ryan Finley started 3 games last year. That’s 2 more than Barkley has started since 2016. It’s 3 more than Burrow has started. Why are we more comfortable with Burrow if he has never played?

People are talking out of both sides of their mouths in this thread. You either believe that you are better off with a scrub vet or a young guy with talent. As far as I’m concerned there are only 2 viable situations. You either have one of the vets that has started and had some success recently (ie Jameis, Dalton, Trubisky, Brissett, Keenum and Mariota) or the young guys with ability (Tua, Love, Herbert, Hurts). You can debate the order within those guys but, IMO no one else can even be considered. The next 2 would probably be Mullens and Allen. They kind of fall between those 2 categories. All 32 teams though would rather give Jordan Love or Justin Herbert a start than Chad Henne or Matt Barkley. They don’t need to see them take a snap to know that. That’s why everyone takes their first snap at some point. 

The simple answer is that if you were a team with 1 of the 32 starters in the NFL, you would not be able to name many backups you would rather have than Love or Herbert. For a multitude of reasons, including potential. 

It’s really silly actually. Herbert and Love go in the first round because they’re potential franchise QB’s. Fromm goes in the fifth because he’s a potential Chad Henne. But teams would rather have Chad Henne than the first two guys? No chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You just don't get it.  This thread is about back-up QB power rankings.  It has nothing to do ability it has to do with actually having not only taken a snap but actually winning a game in the NFL.  Those 4 are ranked 32, 31, 30, 29 in reality until they prove otherwise.

11 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You just don't get it.  This thread is about back-up QB power rankings.  It has nothing to do ability it has to do with actually having not only taken a snap but actually winning a game in the NFL.  Those 4 are ranked 32, 31, 30, 29 in reality until they prove otherwise.

Lol what

Today I learned that Cam Newton and Andrew Luck would have been tied for 32nd best backup after being drafted. 

Edited by FireChans

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yikes

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow, I get dumber every time I open this thread!! There is not a team in the league that agrees with this. That’s 0-32. So Burrow is fine to start but Tua is the 29th best backup? I swear about once a year I decide that I need a break from this place. This may be that time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wow, I get dumber every time I open this thread!! There is not a team in the league that agrees with this. That’s 0-32. So Burrow is fine to start but Tua is the 29th best backup? I swear about once a year I decide that I need a break from this place. This may be that time.

Don't worry.  You were only 1/10 as intelligent as most people to begin with.  Whether you agree or not what I am saying makes sense.  For you and some of the other internet tough guys on here we have the ignore option.

It's sad that when someone disagrees with you and gives a valid point you instead choose to attack.  

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lol what

Today I learned that Cam Newton and Andrew Luck would have been tied for 32nd best backup after being drafted. 

No.  They were never back-ups.  Burrow isn't either so I should not have included him.  

I'm not an entitlement guy, that is probably why I love our current coaching staff.  From will start as number 4 on our depth chart and have to earn his way up the ladder.