NFL Backup QB Power Rankings

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it means you’re white, non threatening to the starting qb, and is friends with coaches.

and I’m kinda tongue in cheek about the white comment but it does seem like terrible white qbs last a long time as backups than other races don’t.  

Yeah, I always preface my Barkley sucks comments with he’s a really nice guy.

If you have played in 10+games and Have a 65 QBs rating, you’re awful.

Your argument is that you would rather have the terrible veteran qb over the young guy with a lot of upside who just hasn’t played?  I would take the chance than Love will end up with better than a 65 qb rating.  I would bet everything on that.

I think teams should have both.  Roster limits need to somehow go back to guaranteeing all teams have 3 QBs.

It would go a long way for developing the younger players if a HC/GM could have their vet for coming in during a game or two but having

that younger "hopeful" if the starter goes down for a long period of time.

I think a "no poaching Practice Squad" position for a developmental QB should be considered too.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was tongue in cheek but I do think there is truth in it.  How many black backups qbs are there?  Why did Trubisky go ahead of Watson and Mahomes?  I think EJ was really good case for this.  Look at his numbers.  Had over 100 QB rating the preseason he got cut and no one signed him.  He is superior to a lot of backup QBs (dominates Barkley, better numbers than Gabbert and Henne).  Why do those guys get the jobs with worse production in a meritocracy business?   Jameis Winston signed for a $1 million.  Newton is unsigned (though I understand that more).   Even after his MVP season, people still question Jackson long term as a qb.  I truly believe if Allen has that season, there would zero of those posts. 

do I think the nfl is racist?  No but I do think there are subconscious attitudes towards some things.  Especially qb.  And save the nfl coaching fraternity thing.  It’s one of the biggest joke organizations in all of sports.  Terrible coaches get recycled while young guys struggle to get their break.  The NFL coaching fraternity is a joke.  Andy Reid’s Ed crack head son is now a nfl coach.  I’m sure he really paid his dues.

and of course Love can be a bust.  He’d still be better than Barkley, who is a nice guy but terrible. 

I could answer those questions with a lot of different answers.

First there's just more white quarterbacks in college the black ones. There's just more to choose from. 

It's like why there's no White corners in the league. It's not racist the white guys playing that position just don't have the skill set for the NFL

As for why trubisky went ahead of Mahomes and Watson that was definitely a head scratcher. I couldn't tell you why on draft day

As for all the guys you mentioned including EJ, they were all first-round picks who were thought of as the guy at some point

They usually want to be thought of as the guy again and they usually want to get paid better than backup salary

And nobody wants a backup quarterback who is trying to win a team over so they're kind of last ditch options for backups

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hennes been in the league for like over a decade. I can see love not playing in the league that long

If you've made it 10 years you did alot right

...and if the Packers has the choice of one or the other for this year they’d pick Love all day long. All 32 teams would

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and if the Packers has the choice of one or the other for this year they’d pick Love all day long. All 32 teams would

That's the key word this season possibly one game

Football is a weird sport. Your confidence plays a huge role in your performance on the field. Players with high confidence perform better than players without confidence

At this point Henne and most 10-year backups are Masters in the film room and great at breaking down defenses

Their arm may not to be the same anymore and they may not have the confidence they once had but they will process things 100 times quicker than the rook

The Rook has confidence and will take more chances and have bigger plays but the second he loses that confidence because of a bad outing or two or three. And he's a shell shock rookie and a veteran will outplay him

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I could answer those questions with a lot of different answers.

First there's just more white quarterbacks in college the black ones. There's just more to choose from. 

It's like why there's no White corners in the league. It's not racist the white guys playing that position just don't have the skill set for the NFL

As for why trubisky went ahead of Mahomes and Watson that was definitely a head scratcher. I couldn't tell you why on draft day

As for all the guys you mentioned including EJ, they were all first-round picks who were thought of as the guy at some point

They usually want to be thought of as the guy again and they usually want to get paid better than backup salary

And nobody wants a backup quarterback who is trying to win a team over so they're kind of last ditch options for backups

Good post except for the white cornerback part.  It’s always the go to counter to why black qbs aren’t being discriminated against.  How know you’re a smart football guy.  You don’t see why that point is stupid?  

and you’re thinking is probably like nfl coaches which blows my mind.  They would rather have a scrub like Gabbert as a backup then Newton.  That’s problematic thinking.  And it cheats your fanbase.  If the Bills are trying to build a SB contender, Newton should be on their roster.  I understand the reasons (injury, too good to be a backup to Allen) but don’t give me crap about Barkley being a better fit.  And I hope you know I’m just disputing your point, it’s nothing personal.

but the nfl is so outdated in their thinking.  

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Football is a weird sport. Your confidence please a huge role in your performance on the field. Players with high confidence perform better than players without confidence

At this point Henne and most 10-year backups are Masters in the film room and great at breaking down defenses

Their arm may not to be the same anymore but they will process things 100 times quicker than the rook

The Rook has confidence and will take more chances and have bigger plays but the second he loses that confidence because of a bad outing or two or three. And he's a shell shock rookie and a veteran will outplay him

You are making very valid points but guys like Henne and Gabbert sucked from the jump.  They just are crappy qbs.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Football is a weird sport. Your confidence plays a huge role in your performance on the field. Players with high confidence perform better than players without confidence

Their arm may not to be the same anymore and they may not have the confidence they once had but they will process things 100 times quicker than the rook

I guess if the argument is 1 game it’s valid. If it’s 8 games it isn’t. I want the backup that can go 4-4 in 8 games not the one that can go 1-0 in 1. 

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Your argument is that you would rather have the terrible veteran qb over the young guy with a lot of upside who just hasn’t played?  I would take the chance than Love will end up with better than a 65 qb rating.  I would bet everything on that.

Are you talking about Barkley? No, I wouldn't take Barkley over most of the backups. My argument is that Love shouldn't be rated as a top 7 backup.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post except for the white cornerback part.  It’s always the go to counter to why black qbs aren’t being discriminated against.  How know you’re a smart football guy.  You don’t see why that point is stupid?  

and you’re thinking is probably like nfl coaches which blows my mind.  They would rather have a scrub like Gabbert as a backup then Newton.  That’s problematic thinking.  And it cheats your fanbase.  If the Bills are trying to build a SB contender, Newton should be on their roster.  I understand the reasons (injury, too good to be a backup to Allen) but don’t give me crap about Barkley being a better fit.  And I hope you know I’m just disputing your point, it’s nothing personal.

I've been a player scout coach my whole life . I still scout. Heck I was that white cornerback

I personally don't go by that reasoning.but  I still know plenty of coaches that do that don't want a backup who's threatening

Unless it's college football

Most players who have tasted the starting job don't like to be backups. Players who have always been backups in the NFL are more content

I'm sure cam wants to start

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are you talking about Barkley? No, I wouldn't take Barkley over most of the backups. My argument is that Love shouldn't be rated as a top 7 backup.

I get what you’re saying but the potential of him is so high over the known commodity of the crappiness of the rest of the list.  Maybe not 7 but I’d put him top 10.  Plus as others pointed out, he would be jumping into a really good situation if he has to play this year.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've been a player scout coach my whole life . I still scout. Heck I was that white cornerback

I personally don't go by that reasoning.but  I still know plenty of coaches that do that don't want a backup who's threatening

Unless it's college football

Most players who have tasted the starting job don't like to be backups. Players who have always been backups in the NFL are more content

I'm sure cam wants to start

So you get why the white cornerback stuff is silly right?  With all due respect, you physically couldn’t play the position at the nfl.  A little different than Jackson winning a Heisman and old, cranky Polian saying he should switch positions, correct?  

and I totally get your thinking and rationale.  I do think most coaches believe that.  But if you are building a team And decided that scrubs like Barkley, Henne, and Gabbert are better options than a healthy Newton, you are cheating your fans. I get the Bills’ reasoning but god forbid Barkley has to play this season. 

a one year deal for Newton would make so much sense. 

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are making very valid points but guys like Henne and Gabbert sucked from the jump.  They just are crappy qbs.  

But gabbert was a top-10 pick so he's going to get more chances than say a seventh-round guy

The NFL is a tough sport. I get it and unfortunately some players just get more chances than others

And my only point about the white cornerbacks was like the pool to choose from. You don't see many so they don't get chosen.. it's not like Alabama trots out 5 White corners and they're not getting drafted. Most physically can't play it at a high level

I think race means nothing in the sport and Donovan McNabb and Warren Moon and tons of guys show they had world class talent

And I'll have you know I ran a 4.44 40 with a 36-inch vertical!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Uh, no. I don't want Newton anywhere near this team and Josh Allen. He is toxic. Completely full of himself and constantly talking trash to anyone who will look at him. You think he's the kind of character that will come in and be a backup?

Upgrading the backup QB position is fine, but not with Newton. Can not stand that guy. He's as "me first" as it comes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

What 7 backup QB’s would you trade Love for?

The point if I am following it right is it is worth having a backup who is worse than guys who are not in the league because they are good in the film room. Which is fine until they have to go out of the film room and onto the... you know.... field.

That sad point is every team that has a vet BU hopes he can be a Foles for the Eagles and every team that has a low round draftee hopes

he turns into Tom Brady.  The reality is both those scenarios seldom come true.  The rest of the time it's close your eyes and cross your

fingers if your starter goes down.

There is always a few weird scenarios that teams fall into like Dalton in Dallas and Bridgewater and Winston in New Orleans.

Those type scenarios are very temporary.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But gabbert was a top-10 pick so he's going to get more chances than say a seventh-round guy

The NFL is a tough sport. I get it and unfortunately some players just get more chances than others

And my only point about the white cornerbacks was like the pool to choose from. You don't see many so they don't get chosen.. it's not like Alabama trots out 5 White corners and they're not getting drafted. Most physically can't play it at a high level

I think race means nothing in the sport and Donovan McNabb and Warren Moon and tons of guys show they had world class talent

And I'll have you know I ran a 4.44 40 with a 36-inch vertical!

Warren Moon went to CFL to get his start.  McNabb got trashed by pill popping Rush on ESPN.  Deshaun was better in every conceivable way than Mitch and went 11th.  

do I think the nfl is like the KkK or something?  Of course not.  But I think it’s kinda naive to think that they haven’t been very slow to give black and other minorities chances in leadership positions that white guys have been afforded.  Arizona hires Wilks and have him one year with a rookie qb.  The Lions fired Jim Caldwell, arguably one of their best coaches ever, and are on their 3rd season with Patricia and his 9-22 record.  Love Smith got fired after going 10-6 in Chicago.  

Finally black QBs are getting the respect and chances because they are some of the best QBs in the nfl.  But I believe if given the chance, this chance this would have happened long before 2020.  And I think I like about Allen is he crossed into the racial stereotype of a black QB. In a weird way, I think that is progress.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Warren Moon went to CFL to get his start.  McNabb got trashed by pill popping Rush on ESPN.  Deshaun was better in every conceivable way than Mitch and went 11th.  

do I think the nfl is like the KkK or something?  Of course not.  But I think it’s kinda naive to think that they haven’t been very slow to give black and other minorities chances in leadership positions that white guys have been afforded.  Arizona hires Wilks and have him one year with a rookie qb.  The Lions fired Jim Caldwell, arguably one of their best coaches ever, and are on their 3rd season with Patricia and his 9-22 record.  Love Smith got fired after going 10-6 in Chicago.  

Finally black QBs are getting the respect and chances because they are some of the best QBs in the nfl.  But I believe if given the chance, this chance this would have happened long before 2020.  And I think I like about Allen is he crossed into the racial stereotype of a black QB. In a weird way, I think that is progress.  

Again I don't think race is an issue in the NFL anymore

the coaches and GM's in charge have their careers on the line and they truly do pick who they think is best for their organization, whether it works out or not

The sport and the world has came a long way since the 70s and 80s. If you're a talented black quarterback nothing is stopping You from playing in the league, like the stigma against moon that he had

Edited by Buffalo716

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That sad point is every team that has a vet BU hopes he can be a Foles for the Eagles and every team that has a low round draftee hopes

he turns into Tom Brady.  The reality is both those scenarios seldom come true.  The rest of the time it's close your eyes and cross your

fingers if your starter goes down.

There is always a few weird scenarios that teams fall into like Dalton in Dallas and Bridgewater and Winston in New Orleans.

Those type scenarios are very temporary.

Perfectly said!! The best scenarios are the weird Dalton/Winston type of things along with the Tua/Herbert/Love situations. You either want a borderline starter that has proven they can get the job done or a young guy with a lot of natural ability. The worst situation is a veteran scrub.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:40 PM, MJS said:

Packers should not be that high. Who even knows if Love will be good? In fact they ranked a lot of the rookies too high.

Can't argue with where they have the Bills. I was kind of hoping we'd sign Mariota or Dalton. They are good backups who have won a lot of games and have playoff experience.

Sign them for no money? You mean? Or for a “rookie”-like contract? ?