NFL Backup QB Power Rankings

Packers should not be that high. Who even knows if Love will be good? In fact they ranked a lot of the rookies too high.

Can't argue with where they have the Bills. I was kind of hoping we'd sign Mariota or Dalton. They are good backups who have won a lot of games and have playoff experience.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

wow, didn't realize Schaub is still playing.  

I think ranking the rookies at all is a bit misleading, given that they have never played a down.  

That said, I agree with the importance of having a good backup, esp. with a mobile QB like Allen.  I'd go after Cam and/or try to upgrade from anyone who is cut.  

Cam Newton will wind up in Orchard Park.  My prediction.  He can "compete" with Barkley for the backup gig.  Fromm is a rookie they can bring along slowly and keep as a 3rd QB, especially with expanded rosters.  Newton, if healthy, can do the things Allen can do, and keep the train moving if Allen gets hurt.  If he's healthy they can flip him for a pick in the off season or just let him walk and hope Fromm is ready to be no. 2.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Packers should not be that high. Who even knows if Love will be good? In fact they ranked a lot of the rookies too high.

Can't argue with where they have the Bills. I was kind of hoping we'd sign Mariota or Dalton. They are good backups who have won a lot of games and have playoff experience.

“When it comes to highly drafted rookies, like Tua Tagovailoa, Jordan Love, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts, their long-term value to their respective teams was given additional weight. They might not be as good of a backup right now as some established veterans, but the fact that they have the potential to morph into something more gave them added value whereas we already know established veterans like Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniel are solid backups at their absolute best”

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Cam Newton will wind up in Orchard Park.  My prediction.  He can "compete" with Barkley for the backup gig.  Fromm is a rookie they can bring along slowly and keep as a 3rd QB, especially with expanded rosters.  

Newton, if healthy, can do the things Allen can do, and keep the train moving if Allen gets hurt.  If he's healthy, they can flip him for a pick in the off season or just let him walk and hope Fromm is ready to be no. 2.  Buffalo is the perfect rehab spot for Newton.  Great facilities and a lot of familiar faces.

Edited by purple haze

17 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I could see this happening, if and only if, no one wants to sign him without a physical and it can't happen until just before the season. And he's wanting to just sign with a team and there is no other suitors that have an older QB or one less established than Josh. But I'd put it at a 10% chance.

22 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I could see this happening, if and only if, no one wants to sign him without a physical and it can't happen until just before the season. And he's wanting to just sign with a team and there is no other suitors that have an older QB or one less established than Josh. But I'd put it at a 10% chance.

He's been specific about the right situation.  Wherever he goes will probably be for one year anyway.  I doubt he signs for longer than that anywhere.  A team with an older QB who needs to be replaced will be waiting on him in free agency.  If he signed for two years he would probably get flipped after the first season.  Coming to Buffalo wouldn't be to challenge Allen.  It would be to play the good soldier, probably get a few reps in some games to put pressure on defenses, stay healthy and re-establish his brand.  For the Bills they get a high-end insurance policy.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

“When it comes to highly drafted rookies, like Tua Tagovailoa, Jordan Love, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts, their long-term value to their respective teams was given additional weight. They might not be as good of a backup right now as some established veterans, but the fact that they have the potential to morph into something more gave them added value whereas we already know established veterans like Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniel are solid backups at their absolute best”

I understand but I disagree.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know when you look up and down that list there aren’t 4 guys with more ability then Love. He will also be stepping in on a team that won 13 games. He can’t fall much lower. 

I'd take like 15 backups over him, if not more. He's a raw rookie QB that played for a small school.