Who’s on the Buffalo Bills Mt Rushmore?

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not a fan of making a Mt Rushmore totally comprised of one generation.  

Bruce and Kelly are locks but the other two should go to Ralph and either OJ or Jack Kemp IMO. 

My Jets Mt Rushmore: 

Joe Namath

Joe Klecko

Curtis Martin

Darrelle Revis

It encompasses the championship 69 team with a very good early 80’s team, late 90’s team, and late 00’s team. 

Klecko over Mark Gastineau?  Both were good, the other possibility is Gastineau over Curtis Martin.

51 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I believe that if the Bills had Marino instead of Kelly they'd have won four superbowls.

They wouldn't have beat the Redskins or '93 Cowboys, both were complete teams.  But you make a good point about having Marino, who was a better QB than Kelly, just not as tough.  Marino seemed to make better QB decisions and was a better passer.  Not a popular opinion/observation, but a valid one, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Ralph

OJ

Bruce

Kelly

The Bills wouldn't exist without Ralph.  And they wouldn't have remained in Buffalo.

OJ is arguably the best running back in NFL history.  (He's also a homicidal schmuck so I can see leaving off).

Bruce is arguably the best DE ever.

Kelly was the leader of the Bills during their greatest era.  

This is where I’m at. If I decided that I hated OJ enough that day I could add Thurman instead. 

I know it’s not a popular opinion but I would have Kelly as one of the 4 best players on the Super Bowl teams. I would have him on Mt. Rushmore though. He represents so much about the team in community in the way that his real life has mirrored that resiliency. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

If you go by the approximate value index, that's the group right there.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-av.htm

FYI, Bruce is 8th in the entire NFL in that metric. There's three defenders in the top 10: Bruce Smith, Reggie White, and Ray Lewis.

This conversation is about a mountain, not a wall.

A mountain is kind of just a big wall of rock.

Also, oh good this thread again.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Klecko over Mark Gastineau?  Both were good, the other possibility is Gastineau over Curtis Martin.

They wouldn't have beat the Redskins or '93 Cowboys, both were complete teams.  But you make a good point about having Marino, who was a better QB than Kelly, just not as tough.  Marino seemed to make better QB decisions and was a better passer.  Not a popular opinion/observation, but a valid one, IMO.

Gastineau at his peak was better than Klecko, but overall I think Klecko had a better career. He was also the heart and soul of those Jets teams. 

I think Don Maynard, Winston Hill, and Weeb Ewbank would be included before Gastineau. 

I didn’t want to include two guys from the 60s or two guys from the 80s. 

Edited by JetsFan20
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

As much as us Bills fans put Jimbo on a pedestal, we overestimate his career on the field with our idolization of him... Will anyone be able to live up to the imaginary standard we set?

Kelly threw plenty of bone headed INTs during his time and in ungodly amount of 3-and-outs, but, when you had 2 minutes left to go downfield for the go-ahead score, he was money. Bruce was playing on a whole different level though. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Gastineau at his peak was better than Klecko, but overall I think Klecko had a better career. He was also the heart and soul of those Jets teams. 

I think Don Maynard, Winston Hill, and Weeb Ewbank would be included before Gastineau. 

I didn’t want to include two guys from the 60s or two guys from the 80s. 

I guess just as long as Marty Lyons is left off.  I remember Gastineau and Lyons hated each other.  Gastineau referred to Lyons as a "piglette," IIRC.

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

As much as us Bills fans put Jimbo on a pedestal, we overestimate his career on the field with our idolization of him... Will anyone be able to live up to the imaginary standard we set?

Even though some would say that our elite players didn’t show up for the Super games due to party priorities, Jim was ringleader who created a togetherness needed for winning.  This was as important as his skills.  Without Jim, no 4 straight more because of his leadership than his arm.  He’a gotta be on mount.  If you go based on eliteness, here are my four in rank order:

OJ

Bruce

Kelly

Thurmond

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’m not a fan of making a Mt Rushmore totally comprised of one generation.  

Bruce and Kelly are locks but the other two should go to Ralph and either OJ or Jack Kemp IMO. 

My Jets Mt Rushmore: 

Joe Namath

Joe Klecko

Curtis Martin

Darrelle Revis

It encompasses the championship 69 team with a very good early 80’s team, late 90’s team, and late 00’s team. 

That’s not even a playoff team.

47 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Kelly threw plenty of bone headed INTs during his time and in ungodly amount of 3-and-outs, but, when you had 2 minutes left to go downfield for the go-ahead score, he was money. Bruce was playing on a whole different level though. 

Yes, and the most overlooked part of Bruce’s success is that he had the most sacks in NFL history playing DE in a 3-4 defense. He would also have a lot of tackles, twice over 100 tackles in a season.  

I think that this should be done with only presidential last names.

Haven't made my list yet, but a few ideas.

Fred Jackson

Ted Washington

Sam Adams

Jeff Nixon

Tyrod Taylor

DaShon Polk

Naaman Roosevelt

George Wilson

Stevie Johnson

They even added a Jackson, Jefferson, Taylor and Adams recently

• Awesome! (+1) 2