Mother's Day in Quarantine

8 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

We’re doing something next week for Mother’s Day...   

my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are quarantining themselves for 10 days. 
my wife and I are quarantining ourselves for 10 days. 
then we are driving 3 hours (no rest stops allowed) to visit them. 

my wife has been freaking out about not seeing our granddaughter for 2 months.

Question and in no way intended as snarky or critical: what changes does "quarantining yourself for 10 days" involve? 

Does it mean no shopping trips at all, even with mask/gloves?  No deliveries?  No walks in a nearby park?

What will change for you?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question and in no way intended as snarky or critical: what changes does "quarantining yourself for 10 days" involve? 

Does it mean no shopping trips at all, even with mask/gloves?  No deliveries?  No walks in a nearby park?

What will change for you?

We all did our grocery shopping at the beginning of the 10 days, and we are avoiding coming close to anyone as we mostly just stay home.  We only go out to do yard work or go for a walk around the neighborhood. Perhaps not the true definition of quarantining, but we’re being extra careful. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are  staying home since we are in our late 60's. My menu will be our usual spinach salad with a side  dish of tomatoes and avocado,grilled salmon,steamed new potatoes and fresh green beans. No special dessert just  fresh fruit later.

In a few weeks,our son will come up from Austin and  at that time I will celebrate more.

• Like (+1) 1

Mother's Day in the Hapless Fam

Get up get dressed.  Breakfast of Joy of Cooking Waffles made in a heart-shaped waffle maker, fresh sliced strawberries, whipped cream (from an aerosol can).  Mother's Day Treat: Two cups of coffee instead of the usual ration of one.

8 am, breakfast done.  We're sitting on the loveseat Facetiming the "Hapling".  Mother's Day cards and a gift are being opened with her watching when all of a sudden....... a mighty and repeated pealing of the doorbell is heard.  This isn't a little "ching ching" someone is going to town rotating that bell clapper thing.  They Will Be Heard.  Their Presence Will be Known.  They Shall Not Be Ignored.

Go to the door.  There is my 87 year old mom, standing with the storm door open and a bag full of flowers.  Mother's day flowers.  She did have a mask on,  but we did not, as we were expecting the storm door to be shut when we unlocked the interior door.  She handed over the bag,  turned to leave, and tottered off down the steps. 

We quickly grabbed the phone we were Facetiming with so the Hapling could wish her a Happy Mothers Day then she left.

Apparently, she was determined we should have flowers for Mother's Day at a price she was willing to pay.   The places with reasonable prices wouldn't deliver, and the places that would deliver had prices that she wouldn't pay.  So she got up, got dressed, and drove off to a grocery store - the vary places we've been going to, to do all her shopping so she doesn't expose herself - to buy flowers to show her appreciation of us.   :doh:

She couldn't decide which to buy, so she bought two bunches.  ?‍♀️

The flowers are beautiful, but I would rather have my mom continue healthy and well and not risk her life for flowers!!!!!!!  She is 87 and has end-stage heart failure.  She should not be out shopping!

Later we brought over our planned gift - we'd already mailed a card, and we brought her a packaged-up heart-shaped waffle for her to freeze then toast and enjoy whenever, and a big bouquet of spring flowers from our garden.  There were people standing outside her building, holding up signs and balloons, honking and waving to their various loved moms.

When we got home, our neighbors were having a birthday/mother's day celebration for his 90 year old mom.  They had her seated next to a gas firepit outside, protected from wind by an awning and bundled up ('50s, wind).  There was a mark on the sidewalk 6 feet away.  Various relatives, all wearing masks, came to stand on the mark to visit with her in turn, then step aside to other 6' marks and chat with each other.  They had Nothing Bundt Cakes individually wrapped mini-bundt cakes for people to either take home, or they could step aside, de-mask, and eat on paper plates right then and there (those things are Good).

So that's my Mothers Day in the Time of Covid.  Strange times, but people Will find a Way to connect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:02 PM, Gray Beard said:

We all did our grocery shopping at the beginning of the 10 days, and we are avoiding coming close to anyone as we mostly just stay home.  We only go out to do yard work or go for a walk around the neighborhood. Perhaps not the true definition of quarantining, but we’re being extra careful. 

We've been doing the same thing with the daughter that has kids except we are on a 14 day schedule.  When we are clear, we see the Grandkids 3 or 4 days in a row, and then start over.  Today was the 4th day, shopping tomorrow.  Our other daughter's boy friend is in a must work job, so she doesn't want to be included, which lessens the family enjoyment a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:00 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I am going golfing with my buddies...best gift i give my wife is getting out of her sight.

Go to 340 here for another idea if you have youngings!

I played golf too today. Walked 9 holes with pull cart.

My much better half took a nap and we got carry out from a mom and pop Italian place.

I am my 93year old mom's primary caregiver.  We got food from a restaurant that we have taken her  to in the past for Mother's Day and for her birthday. She had "Thanksgiving on a plate"  Turkey, stuffing, potato, and carrots and cranberry sauce.   She'll have it tomorrow too.

Edited by Wacka
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

On 5/9/2020 at 5:25 PM, CowgirlsFan said:

We are  staying home since we are in our late 60's. My menu will be our usual spinach salad with a side  dish of tomatoes and avocado,grilled salmon,steamed new potatoes and fresh green beans. No special dessert just  fresh fruit later.

In a few weeks,our son will come up from Austin and  at that time I will celebrate more.

That sounds fantastic.  How is Mr CGF fight against diabetes? 

I just had a fantastic grapefruit rosemary mojito (thanks @Johnny Hammersticks). 

We'll have spicy tuna with mango salsa, sweet potato, and steamed broccoli for dinner.

Somewhat concerningly, Mom reported that they didn't get dinner last night until someone called to ask what was up, and apparently also didn't get breakfast this am.  They're supposed to get a special dinner tonight and chocolate/card.  Mom thinks a lot of the workers have called in sick.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Gray Beard said:

OK, second question.  Since the longer incubation time for covid-19 is said to be 14 days (average is 5-6) how did you select 10 days?

Again, not trying to be snarky or second-guess you at all, just curious about the thought process

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, second question.  Since the longer incubation time for covid-19 is said to be 14 days (average is 5-6) how did you select 10 days?

Again, not trying to be snarky or second-guess you at all, just curious about the thought process

I didn’t select 10 days, circumstances got in the way.  My daughter and her husband are both working form home and they both have several online meetings later this week.  They asked if we could come and entertain our granddaughter since they aren’t sending her to daycare anymore.  The time between our last trips to the grocery store and their desire for us to visit turned out to be 10 days.  I would have felt better if we could have made it 14 days.  

When we go to the store we go early in the morning, and we get in and out as quick as possible.  When I say “we” go to the store, it’s actually my wife on our end, and my son in law on their end.  I personally haven’t been inside a store in about two months.  I realize that a chance encounter with an infected person can happen even when we are being careful, but I think the odds are in our favor since we all live in a places that have pretty low infection rates, for now.  But trust me, I’m nervous.

So I ordered Red Lobster curbside, because that's what Mom wants. Website says 15 mins.

3 hours waiting in the parking lot later, i have the food.

Then the car won't start.

Already hot and frustrated, I just leave the car there.

Update: It's 1030pm and I finally got the car back to the house.

Edited by unbillievable

Mother’s Day was for many years a strange time at our house. Our older son always found a way to pick that holiday to mess up, usually in a Big Way. He got to a point where he was good (actually great!), and we could laugh about it, but it’s still a reminder in it’s own way. 

Today my wife and I went to my 92 year old mom’s retirement place, took flowers and pizza, some leftover food I made Saturday (always “the best I’ve ever had!”, big family joke). There is a lovely fountain area outside with beautiful arbors and plantings. We ate outside a healthy distance apart on a gorgeous day and had a great time. Had not spent that much time with her in quite a while. It won’t be a regular thing, but it will be a continuing thing to some extent.

When we got home we learned my son and his fiancé were returning from her parent’s lake house after about 6 weeks. They came for dinner and it was awesome to see them again! This dad may have had his best Mother’s Day ever! 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Wife got up early for quiet time. I made her a simple breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and fruit (she picked the menu). No, she is not my Mom, but she is a very good Mom to our four children and ten grandchildren. I also bought her wind chimes for the deck if summer ever arrives, and a case of wine.

Two daughters stopped by with their children and we saw them for the first time since early March. We visited and it really made Mom's day!

Later we went for a walk near Lake Ontario. We ordered curb pickup and delivered a meal and a gift to her Mom. We had masks on and passed it through the door. She is in her mid 80's and active but has maintained isolation as much as possible. Before quarantine, Mom and me went to the "Y" 2-3 times a week as Silver Sneakers! :w00t:

Regarding flowers. Mother-in-Law received four bouquets of flowers from her son and grandchildren. While appreciated, she lamented the money spent on flowers, especially right before Mother's Day. Flowering plants for outside, and then setting a date to plant them where she wanted them may have been a better choice? IMO four bouquets is too much!

It was a good day! 

On 5/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, The Dean said:

My mother is in assisted living and we are not allowed in to visit. Very sad. But only for my sister and me. Mom suffers from end stage Alzheimer's and is in a state just barely north of "vegetative". Still it would be nice to see her.

Same situation with my FIL.  Can't visit, and he's out there in his mind.  For a while now he is back in Korea arming F86's to go up in Mig Alley.  Better to believe he is there than where he really is.  Contracted Covid too and seems to be recovering

On 5/8/2020 at 11:10 AM, The Dean said:

My mother is in assisted living and we are not allowed in to visit. Very sad. But only for my sister and me. Mom suffers from end stage Alzheimer's and is in a state just barely north of "vegetative". Still it would be nice to see her.

I'm sorry hear this Dean, I'll say a prayer.

Thanks to everyone for sharing, and hearts out to those that are missing their moms and families.

We had a decent day. Went on a family walk through a new nature preserve we found by our house, and then my wife stained the pergola (a project she's been wanting to do for a while).

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing, and hearts out to those that are missing their moms and families.

We had a decent day. Went on a family walk through a new nature preserve we found by our house, and then my wife stained the pergola (a project she's been wanting to do for a while).

Dude ... you are a euphemism MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a great day!

• Haha (+1) 1