Mother's Day in Quarantine

So Mother's Day is this Sunday and we're pretty much locked inside.

What's everyone doing? Besides the ol "Breakfast in Bed" classics, does anyone have any good ideas for making the day special while in the middle of being sheltered-in-place?

(Obviously I'm getting desperate if I'm asking this group ;))

Edit: I should clarify, looking for what I can do for my wife which I'm in charge of since the kid is too young to pull her own weight around here!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I spent a crap-ton on a really nice plant with flowers. My mom loves that stuff. Delivers tomorrow. 

And here comes something you divorced people may completely not understand: My "kids" got my ex-wife a $100 gift card for The Capital Grille. She can pick it up curbside. She works hard keeping that house (mostly) in-line, like I used to when married, and with this current situation going on, she deserves it. No hate, great relationship. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What's everyone doing? Besides the ol "Breakfast in Bed" classics, does anyone have any good ideas for making the day special while in the middle of being sheltered-in-place?

Edit: I should clarify, looking for what I can do for my wife which I'm in charge of since the kid is too young to pull her own weight around here!

The quotation marks around breakfast in bed lead me to believe that it's a euphemism.

Guess I don't need to ask, "links or patties?"

• Haha (+1) 5

My mother is in assisted living and we are not allowed in to visit. Very sad. But only for my sister and me. Mom suffers from end stage Alzheimer's and is in a state just barely north of "vegetative". Still it would be nice to see her.

• Sad 8

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The quotation marks around breakfast in bed lead me to believe that it's a euphemism.

Guess I don't need to ask, "links or patties?"

Yeah.....instead of breakfast in bed I'm gonna make my wife a "tossed salad" for lunch.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I’m a bit older than you (ask @plenzmd1, he’ll tell you I’m older than everybody!), and have a little different situation. My wife always says “I’m not YOUR mother, you don’t get me anything for Mother’s Day.” I did get her her favorite flowers today, however. (Yellow roses with red tips.) What she has always wanted from our kids is a letter. She’s has them going back for years and treasures them. She doesn’t want the kids to give her something she doesn’t want or need with their hard earned money. The letters are far more “valuable” and tell the tale of our lives together. 

The REALLY HARD part for me is my 92 year old mother in a retirement home that is locked down. Other than taking her groceries, we have no contact and, frankly, she seems to be freaking out a bit. When I gave my wife the flowers, we both were struggling for how to bring something bright into my mom’s life. Maybe we can set her up to zoom on her iPad this weekend, which would cheer her up, but she struggles with technology, to put it mildly.   So..........?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

I have not been out driving alone since I was told I needed to work from home except to help search for a lost dog.

My wife was working on the desk and I reminded her she wanted to buy more of those "rolling shelves" for my daughter and I could go buy them while Aldi's still had them in stock.  I offered to go see if they had any left in stock and she surprised me by saying "Going ahead."  It was more trouble I thought for they stacked some other types of shelves in front of them but I found four left and when I went to pay saw flowers for Mother's day so I bought some for my wife.  Usually she tells me this time of year "No need, I have many pots of flowers I can bring in house." but I guess this has changed her opinion and thanked me for flowers.  My daughter is supposed to be doing some project for Mother's Day but rarely does she keep on track to finish.

...hate to be the Negative Nellie here.....my wife died tragically in June 2015 and my mother from cancer (age 91) in Feb 2017....so it's a melancholy day for my kids to mark year 5 without Mom.....and I don't even get to see them (last time was March 8)as they continue to feel more comfortable with social distancing....all the best to the TBD brethren and hope you make a day of it friends....:thumbsup:

• Sad 4

36 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am going golfing with my buddies...best gift i give my wife is getting out of her sight.

Go to 340 here for another idea if you have youngings!

I’ll hand it to you, this is both funny....................and TRUE! 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

My wife's family is thinking of doing a Mothers Day brunch at her house. There's 22 of them if they all show up. ?

Have you considered inviting a homeless shelter to join you? Anything to get those numbers up! 

• Haha (+1) 1

We’re doing something next week for Mother’s Day...   

my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are quarantining themselves for 10 days. 
my wife and I are quarantining ourselves for 10 days. 
then we are driving 3 hours (no rest stops allowed) to visit them. 

my wife has been freaking out about not seeing our granddaughter for 2 months.

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Drove to East Aurora to visit Mom. Rather visit with her now (at 82) than later. 

Lil Gug and I will be paying my mom a visit sometime today.

Enough is enough.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Enough is enough.

Please send our regards and please, please, please text me the real empanada recipe. You purposefully left out a few steps. 

( ohhh, and give your aunt a big hug for me. )

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Enough is enough.

Nobody said you couldn't before.

18 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Drove to East Aurora to visit Mom. Rather visit with her now (at 82) than later. 

Well you can shovel the snow for her..good boy.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m a bit older than you (ask @plenzmd1, he’ll tell you I’m older than everybody!), and have a little different situation. My wife always says “I’m not YOUR mother, you don’t get me anything for Mother’s Day.” I did get her her favorite flowers today, however. (Yellow roses with red tips.) What she has always wanted from our kids is a letter. She’s has them going back for years and treasures them. She doesn’t want the kids to give her something she doesn’t want or need with their hard earned money. The letters are far more “valuable” and tell the tale of our lives together. 

The REALLY HARD part for me is my 92 year old mother in a retirement home that is locked down. Other than taking her groceries, we have no contact and, frankly, she seems to be freaking out a bit. When I gave my wife the flowers, we both were struggling for how to bring something bright into my mom’s life. Maybe we can set her up to zoom on her iPad this weekend, which would cheer her up, but she struggles with technology, to put it mildly.   So..........?‍♂️

I'm in a very similar place with my 87 yr old mom.  Her retirement home is locked down.  We see her through the lobby glass and pantomime hugs when we bring her groceries.

We sent her an elaborate card, which she received and is waiting to open.  We'll call her. 

The facility itself is bringing a card and chocolate to all the ladies and serving a special meal.

That's about it.  We thought about a special trip to try to obtain a bouquet or something.  Maybe we will.

Here, the day will include a phone call to the Kid 744 miles away, bagels and cream cheese from the best local bagel shop, and a hanging fuschia plant (a favorite since visiting Ireland).

• Like (+1) 1