Anyone on here living in Adirondacks?

4_kidd_4

Just curious, wife and I love it there, we head up any chance we get.

It’s my dream to retire there someday (or I’d go now if we had job opportunities), but obviously winters are a much different animal than WNY.

Any current or former residents on the board?  Tell me your stories, pros, cons, likes, dislikes, etc., thanks!

Lot of places have a shortage of workers. 
love loon lake in Franklin county.  
My niece has a camp up there. We go up every year  

Edited by mead107

We have a family camp in the foothills. Cranberry Lake is nice but if you want the mountains you want to me more in the Saranac Lake area. Not much for career employment. Own a small storefront and you will make a killing though.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

@fansince88 lives up that way

30 miles north of Watertown (where I have tons of family) 

they have 2 kinds of flies up yonder 

• Deer flies
  • Snow flies

Two seasons

*Burn wood

*get wood

Get wood is 1/4 of the time of burn wood.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

We have a family camp in the foothills. Cranberry Lake is nice but if you want the mountains you want to me more in the Saranac Lake area. Not much for career employment. Own a small storefront and you will make a killing though.

I friend of mine down here in St Augustine, used to live in Saranac Lake. She LOVED living there, she said. But she was a hippy chick, so there is that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

@fansince88 lives up that way

30 miles north of Watertown (where I have tons of family) 

they have 2 kinds of flies up yonder 

• Deer flies
  • Snow flies

Two seasons

*Burn wood

*get wood

Get wood is 1/4 of the time of burn wood

@4_kidd_4. Where in the Adirondacks are you thinking?

I live in the Utica area, so it’s about an hour to Old Forge.  That’s in a fairly tame area of the Adirondacks. Nice lakes, but small mountains.  We go up there several times a year for boating, hiking, etc.  Our kids, nieces, nephews used to go to some summer camps in that area for a week at a time.  Every few years we rent a camp for a week, and have a great time.  When we were younger we went up for camping and skiing, but those days are behind us now.  Now we’re too lazy and brittle.  

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I live in the Utica area, so it’s about an hour to Old Forge.  That’s in a fairly tame area of the Adirondacks. Nice lakes, but small mountains.  We go up there several times a year for boating, hiking, etc.  Our kids, nieces, nephews used to go to some summer camps in that area for a week at a time.  Every few years we rent a camp for a week, and have a great time.  When we were younger we went up for camping and skiing, but those days are behind us now.  Now we’re too lazy and brittle.  

Old forge is nice. Great dinner in Inlet just beyond old forge. Cant think of the name of it 

3 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Old forge is nice. Great dinner in Inlet just beyond old forge. Cant think of the name of it 

Inlet has a nice little touristy strip of stores and restaurants.  My wife and I spent a long weekend at Wood’s Inn once, which has a nice restaurant and a little private beach area.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Hey, I have family in Saquoit(sp?), and some fam that retired to Inlet. 

We’ve done Lake Placid several times,  Saranac, a NY state camp in Speculator, been to Lake George n Old Forge a bunch, and a couple other camps who’s names escape me.

We’re not looking anywhere in particular, just daydreaming for right now.

My wife is a teacher, so anything we do kinda hinges on her employment. She loves what she does, plus the benefits are clutch. As for me, I don’t really care about my career field so that doesn’t matter, plus I’m pretty sure there’s only a handful of facilities  out there where I’d be able to work with my degree anyways.

@fansince88 Storefront, eh? I would assume that would have to be either in a relatively “denser” populated part, or a heavy traffic summer seasonal part. Was working on a tavern plan local to me, but the pandemic has put that on indefinite hold. If I could do the same thing in ADK, man I’d sign up right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

Inlet has a nice little touristy strip of stores and restaurants.  My wife and I spent a long weekend at Wood’s Inn once, which has a nice restaurant and a little private beach area.  

We stayed there at the State Park in Inlet 20 years ago when the kids were little. The park ranger told us all the regulations to protect yourself from the bears. 10 minutes after we set up the pop up camper we saw a bear walking up the campground road being chased by about 5 kids on bikes yelling "he is over here". 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Just curious, wife and I love it there, we head up any chance we get.

It’s my dream to retire there someday (or I’d go now if we had job opportunities), but obviously winters are a much different animal than WNY.

Any current or former residents on the board?  Tell me your stories, pros, cons, likes, dislikes, etc., thanks!

You should ask Rachel Bush

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...went to college in the North Country for 4 years......there are some unreal natural venues if you know the townspeople because most are unknown.....were some small lakes that were like a painted picture.......

Plattsburgh?