Brady and the Bucs get 5 Primetime games

14 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Sure thing, thread police??

Maybe you missed the rest of my response where I still questioned that reasoning. 

It was hard to miss....that's the conspiracy part.

46 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This raises my eyebrows and makes me wonder if the league still plans on making them a relevant team.

32 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Maybe the league plans on still pushing the Pats?

30 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

it seems completely ridiculous, and not some kind of mistake.

Makes me think there's more going on here 

It's impossible to miss.

• Haha (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

it seems completely ridiculous, and not some kind of mistake. Most of the world can see that the Patriots aren't going to be a very exciting team, and probably a middling team at best.

Makes me think there's more going on here 

Okay. Enlighten us. 

I actually understand it somewhat. Belichick in New England without Brady is a pretty big storyline. Everyone is anxious to see how it turns out. At the same time, five does seem like a bit much. Who really wants to watch Stidham that often? 

Edited by SirAndrew

I will enjoy watching the Evil Empire crumble.

In response to some comments related to New York teams... in addition to the obvious big market reasons, the Jets and Giants also share a stadium so the Prime Time games give some extra scheduling flexibility for Met Life stadium.

Why? Because everyone loves watching the pats lose,  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Why?  Because America loves TAW-mee.  (The networks also know a lot of America doesn't pay attention to offseason transactions.)

You think even casual football fans aren't aware that Brady no longer plays for the Pats and won't figure it out after 2, 3, or even 4 prime time games?

Rather we like it or not 90% of the talk going into the season is Tampa and the Pats. They will both get non stop coverage. Most don’t think New England will be relevant or very competitive this season but they will still dominate headlines. BB will be talked about every game and may god held us if they start out hot and win a few, the media will go NUTS talking them up. 

12 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I will enjoy watching the Evil Empire crumble.

In response to some comments related to New York teams... in addition to the obvious big market reasons, the Jets and Giants also share a stadium so the Prime Time games give some extra scheduling flexibility for Met Life stadium.

This actually explains it perfectly.

They're just like the NY Yankees.  People (generally speaking) either love them or hate them.  Same with the Patriots.

Until the Patriots suck ... which they did not suck last year ... they will continue to get prime time games.

This year, it's because Brady's gone and many want to see whether the Pats were good because of Tom Brady, or because of Bill Belicheck.

If they suck this year, then that'll be it.  Especially if Belicheck leaves.

But it makes sense for them to have lots of prime time coverage this year.  People's opinions of the team are extreme, therefore, they will watch.

EDIT:  Another possible reason could be that the NFL is not convinced that Stidham is going to be the QB.

Edited by Gugny

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You think even casual football fans aren't aware that Brady no longer plays for the Pats and won't figure it out after 2, 3, or even 4 prime time games?

Quarantine, drug, and alcohol induced forgetfulness is also a lynchpin in this strategy.  ?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I want to see plenty of this 

LegitimateQuickEasternglasslizard-max-1m

The one good thing Rex did here.

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Quarantine, drug, and alcohol induced forgetfulness is also a lynchpin in this strategy.  ?

Stop calling me out, yo!

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

If they suck really bad, the vast majority of their "fans" wont hesitate to stop tuning in and turn on a Bucs game

But Giants dont have TONS of bandwagon fans... they have true die hards. I think the league made a huge mistake giving them 5 PT games.

If they suck the whole nation will tune in and watch with glee.

First, I don't understand why anyone would be concerned about how many prime-time games the Pats have.  Are you worried about how many the Titans have?   The Broncos?   Who cares?   So what?

Second, the news came out about three weeks ago that the Bills were going to get a lot of prime-time games.  The reason was that all the networks wanted the Bills.   Why did they want the Bills?   Because they think they can get a lot of fans to watch the Bills, a lot of fans equates to a lot of advertisers, and a lot of advertisers equates to a lot of revenue.   So, why did the Pats get a lot of prime-time games?   Because the networks think they can get a lot of fans to watch the Patriots, a lot of fans equates of advertisers, and a lot of advertisers equates to a lot of revenue.  

But, you say, the Pats are going to suck and no one will watch them.   To which I respond that it's a good bet the networks have a much better idea about what people will watch than you.