Brady and the Bucs get 5 Primetime games

If they suck really bad, the vast majority of their "fans" wont hesitate to stop tuning in and turn on a Bucs game

Just now, Greg S said:

Big market teams that bring in high ratings will always get primetime games. The Giants coming off a 4-12 season and who have been crap for a while now have 3 primetime games this season

But Giants dont have TONS of bandwagon fans... they have true die hards. I think the league made a huge mistake giving them 5 PT games.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Because they serve a pretty big market, have been good for a really long time, and are a team that people either hate, or perhaps if there is something wrong with their brains, love.  In either case the strong feelings will draw viewership.  if they suck, we wont see 5 primetime games next year.  If they are good, it'll be a super hyped storyline

having said all that, the Bills need to take care of business, beat the Pats twice, and run away with the division and stop worrying about the media

I guess that's solid logic, although I'm not sure how large that market will be without Brady, and I don't know how much people will care for them...especially if they lose alot. 

What you said at the end of the first paragraph is what has me slightly concerned..."if they are good, it'll be a super hyped storyline". Maybe the league plans on still pushing the Pats?

One thing we can agree on is that we need to take care of business 

Edited by BeastMaster

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

If they suck really bad, the vast majority of their "fans" wont hesitate to stop tuning in and turn on a Bucs game

But Giants dont have TONS of bandwagon fans... they have true die hards. I think the league made a huge mistake giving them 5 PT games.

it seems completely ridiculous, and not some kind of mistake. Most of the world can see that the Patriots aren't going to be a very exciting team, and probably a middling team at best.

Makes me think there's more going on here 

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

It will be interesting to see how loyal Pats fans remain once their team declines. For a while the Pats were 4th behind the Sox, B's, and Celtics in local interest. But football's popularity has exploded these past 30 years or so making it the undisputed #1 sport in America. We will see if these past two decades of winning if NE has built up a real fanbase or not.

20 years of winning has a way of growing a large fan base. Thats an entire generation of new fan seeing the patriots win super bowls.

The "bandwagon" has been filling for those 20 years and they would be real losers if the jumped off just when it started to look bad.

8 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I guess that's solid logic, although I'm not sure how large that market will be without Brady, and I don't know how much people will care for them...especially if they lose alot. 

What you said at the end of the first paragraph is what has me slightly concerned..."if they are good, it'll be a super hyped storyline". Maybe the league plans on still pushing the Pats?

One thing we can agree on is that we need to take care of business 

You might have considered this logic before starting your conspiracy thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Large TV market and perennial contenders until proven otherwise. 

Yep. It happens a lot to perennial winners who are starting the decline.

If they're mediocre, it will be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

You might have considered this logic before starting your conspiracy thread.

Sure thing, thread police??

Maybe you missed the rest of my response where I still questioned that reasoning. 

There are 51 prime time games, excluding saturday games.  That's 102 teams. 5 isn't unreasonable for a team that is one year removed from a championship and did win the division last season.

The Pats have built up a "brand name" with football fans due to always winning for nearly 20 years. That's simply going to happen. They are also coming off of a winning season and feature a curiosity factor (how good is the Pats system or was it Brady.) It isn't hard to figure out why they got a good slate of prime-time games. I also think they hedged their bets trying to put one of those fives games into a December slot where it can get flexed. I think the Pats will be a boring team to watch, bad offense, good defense and ST well coached but unable to move the ball against better defenses. I still wouldn't be shocked if they were an 8 win or better team. Good coaching and a good defense and ST unit can carry a team with a mediocre offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Large TV market and perennial contenders until proven otherwise. 

You're exactly correct.  Viewership and advertising dollars drive most of these decisions.  If they turn out be be a bad team with loop-sided games, they'll be flexed off the national game slots.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I want to see plenty of this 

LegitimateQuickEasternglasslizard-max-1m

I want to see plenty of bags over fans heads in the Foxboro stands.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You're exactly correct.  Viewership and advertising dollars drive most of these decisions.  If they turn out be be a bad team with loop-sided games, they'll be flexed off the national game slots.

I think they can only be flexed out of one of their primetime games as the flex doesn't happen until the latter part of the season.