Jetnation sure does not lack any confidence

7 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Lol this guy's already started a thread on Buffalo on Jetnation

"They are Mocking us in Buffalo"

Seems a little inaccurate I'm pretty sure people are mocking the Jets in a lot of other places too.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

I was trying to be funny.  The Bills have a better and deeper roster.  But I wasn't kidding when I said I'd rather have Darnold.  Only time will tell.

To be honest, I'm not really taking anything away from Darnold, nothing at all. But I think he's in the worst spot when it comes to building around him. Bell was an obvious mistake, not sure why that happened. That's not a knock on Darnold, but between Bell and the Gase hire, it's hard to say he's the better QB right now simply because of his potential. I will say I was concerned when McCarthy was mentioned for a HC candidate there.

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm a happy Jets fan because I think we have the best QB in the division and we're under new management that actually knows what it is doing.

Do you think you have the best coach in the division, too? One who really knows what he's doing?

6 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

To be honest, I'm not really taking anything away from Darnold, nothing at all. But I think he's in the worst spot when it comes to building around him. Bell was an obvious mistake, not sure why that happened. That's not a knock on Darnold, but between Bell and the Gase hire, it's hard to say he's the better QB right now simply because of his potential. I will say I was concerned when McCarthy was mentioned for a HC candidate there.

I can't argue about much of this.  I am torn about Gase because to fire him would give Darnold something like his fourth OC in four years.  But Gase has definitely not figured out how to emphasize Darnold's strengths and I am concerned about this slowing down his development.  Darnold is an improvisational guy.  He is best when rolling out and throwing on the run.  But Gase is cooaching him like he's a 36 year old Peyton Manning.

2 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Do you think you have the best coach in the division, too? One who really knows what he's doing?

No.  That's the problem.  But Williams has been a very good DC for us so far.

Edited by Bruce Harper
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

I can't argue about much of this.  I am torn about Gase because to fire him would give Darnold something like his fourth OC in four years.  But Gase has definitely not figured out how to emphasize Darnold's strengths and I am concerned about this slowing down his development.  Darnold is an improvisational guy.  He is best when rolling out and throwing on the run.  But Gase is cooaching him like he's a 36 year old Peyton Manning.

Gase isn't just slowing it down, he's in the way of it. This guy is way out there on the fringe with just about everything. Now don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of Bills fans can empathize. We've hired our share of HCs that were headscratchers, Dick Jauron comes to mind. But hey, it's all good tho.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Should I have said, "Among Other Places"?

Yes absolutely

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'd see it like ripping off a band-aide better to just yank it off and get it over with than to pull it off slowly and waste more of Darnold's contract.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I was trying to be funny.  The Bills have a better and deeper roster.  But I wasn't kidding when I said I'd rather have Darnold.  Only time will tell.

I think in a vacuum I'd prefer Sam to Josh too, as far as the consistency of their passing on tape goes. 

But I wouldn't make the trade straight up, because if you squint past the "Josh is inaccurate" call that comes from people who've seen 2 NFL games from him so far, and just remember everyone dogging him in that draft cycle, you'll actually notice a few compelling things:
-When his mechanics are good, he's as accurate as any NFL QB ever needs to be, and accuracy leaves his list of issues to work on
-Citing his deep ball in response to this is pointless - it's another mechanics issue, he was too afraid after NE to throw the ball with proper trajectory and loft, and would opt to keep it on a frozen rope which requires accuracy that no QB has in that range, because the worst case scenario is an overthrow, and he already showed in his deep ball attempts from Denver through the wild card game that he's ready to move past that mentally, hitting on several, not missing on many if any, and only having incompletions because guys like Duke weren't pulling them in
-he was always going to be a huge work in progress, still has a laundry list of things to work on, but that list has slowly gotten shorter, including his improvements in key impact areas like 3rd and long, or in the red zone, he was excellent in each condition
-coming from small Wyoming crowds/games to NFL playoff games on the road in 1.5 years is crazy, and the star-struckness he's shown will only decrease with experience (what people don't remember is how good he was in Qs 1-3 in Houston, before the line stopped blocking)

I won't pretend to understand Darnold on this level, because I haven't watched more than ~6 of his games. But Josh isn't a stagnant "bad QB," he's a still-not-good QB that always had a long development arc, and has made substantial jumps on that arc in short times, which we expect to continue, while feeding us enticing moments along the way like

-sheer will plays that remind people of the best of Jim Kelly, particularly on 3rd and 4th downs in critical moments
-dazzling physical skills, both running and with his arm (across his body to Cole vs Denver, the throw from his end zone in Dallas, the jukes of DEs against the NYG (which led to an equally impressive first down to Knox) and Denver, plays that 98% of all NFL QBs over the last 20 years are physically incapable of making)
-learning from his mistakes - after the 3 pick shitshow in NE, only one NFL player accounted for more total TDs, and that guy won MVP, meanwhile Josh only threw 3 more picks the entire season, or 12 games 
-wins, a bunch of them 4th quarter comebacks, and the best season in the last 20 years.

I'm not interested in a tradeoff even if Darnold's raw film is currently more impressive on the whole than Josh's. I'm too interested to see where this story goes. The perspective that I see from other fan bases (definitely not accusing you of doing this, you're not) that Josh is simply some trashy QB they aren't interested has always been good for a laugh.

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

No.  That's the problem.  But Williams has been a very good DC for us so far.

Apologize for the animosity here, but ***** dirty Gregg Williams and ***** his dirty players for going after Josh's knees in NY last year. 

1 minute ago, arcane said:

I think in a vacuum I'd prefer Sam to Josh too, as far as the consistency of their passing on tape goes. 

But I wouldn't make the trade straight up, because if you squint past the "Josh is inaccurate" call that comes from people who've seen 2 NFL games from him so far, and just remember everyone dogging him in that draft cycle, you'll actually notice a few compelling things:
-When his mechanics are good, he's as accurate as any NFL QB ever needs to be, and accuracy leaves his list of issues to work on
-Citing his deep ball in response to this is pointless - it's another mechanics issue, he was too afraid after NE to throw the ball with proper trajectory and loft, and would opt to keep it on a frozen rope which requires accuracy that no QB has in that range, because the worst case scenario is an overthrow, and he already showed in his deep ball attempts from Denver through the wild card game that he's ready to move past that mentally, hitting on several, not missing on many if any, and only having incompletions because guys like Duke weren't pulling them in
-he was always going to be a huge work in progress, still has a laundry list of things to work on, but that list has slowly gotten shorter, including his improvements in key impact areas like 3rd and long, or in the red zone, he was excellent in each condition
-coming from small Wyoming crowds/games to NFL playoff games on the road in 1.5 years is crazy, and the star-struckness he's shown will only decrease with experience (what people don't remember is how good he was in Qs 1-3 in Houston, before the line stopped blocking)

I won't pretend to understand Darnold on this level, because I haven't watched more than ~6 of his games. But Josh isn't a stagnant "bad QB," he's a still-not-good QB that always had a long development arc, and has made substantial jumps on that arc in short times, which we expect to continue, while feeding us enticing moments along the way like

-sheer will plays that remind people of the best of Jim Kelly, particularly on 3rd and 4th downs in critical moments
-dazzling physical skills, both running and with his arm (across his body to Cole vs Denver, the throw from his end zone in Dallas, the jukes of DEs against the NYG (which led to an equally impressive first down to Knox) and Denver, plays that 98% of all NFL QBs over the last 20 years are physically incapable of making)
-learning from his mistakes - after the 3 pick shitshow in NE, only one NFL player accounted for more total TDs, and that guy won MVP, meanwhile Josh only threw 3 more picks the entire season, or 12 games 
-wins, a bunch of them 4th quarter comebacks, and the best season in the last 20 years.

I'm not interested in a tradeoff even if Darnold's raw film is currently more impressive on the whole than Josh's. I'm too interested to see where this story goes. 

I would not take Darnold over Josh Allen.....who frankly just gets it and is a playmaker who gets it done and turns it up in the 4th quarter.

I would however......take Darnold as my QB if I DIDNT have Josh Allen....because frankly there are not enough starting QBs to go around in the league.

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

I hope I'm at least not too far off in hoping that the Pats are third or fourth this year in the AFC East.

Make it 4th. After the last 20 years I think Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans can all agree on this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Wow, those jokers are upset, huh?  I get it.  They love their squad and want to defend the castle.   That's cool.  Won't stop that azz whuppin' they got coming.  PLEASE Sweet Baby Jesus, let Mosely and Darnold be healthy; no more IF'S  for Gang Green.  And the Bills won't roll out their JV for most of the game this time either, until the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter that is.

the Jets have some talent, but on paper, not enough.  With the off-season the way it is, gelling all those new lineman and rookies won't be easy.  And Gase is a grease fire of a coach.  He will find a way to make things harder on his own team.  And we know from experience Gregg Williams is divisive. That team struggles and it will be defense v. Offense.

Edited by purple haze