RIP Pass Interference Replay

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Now do proper kickoff returnman downing in endzone technique kthx

Apparently, they knew what he meant......

Scott Norwood meant to kick the ball a little farther to the left. Anything we can do about that? 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't know why they don't just have all replay reviews happen from a replay ref like they do in the NCAA. I find it stupid that it is up to the coaches digression to decide wither or not the referees made a bad call or not. It's not a big deal now that all turnovers and scores are reviewed but it is still a pet peeve. 

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I would like to see it go to NYC or have a sky judge at the stadium in a booth with all the replays.  Direct communication with the ref on the field.  Absolutely not more "going under the hood".

Roster spots are too valuable to continue to carry an enforcer when the whole league basically disarmed.  Its like why aren't NBA offenses running through dominant centers anymore?  The game evolved.

This is the way they did it n replay's original incantation.  After a year or two it was canned. I was at a game where the sky ref gave  a team a TD which was wroooong.  The ref even admitted it later.

Through the first 9 weeks, PI was changed 9 times due to review.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/06/through-nine-weeks-replay-review-overturns-pi-calls-and-non-calls-nine-times/

That said, I'm glad it's gone.  I'm also a big proponent of getting rid of replay altogether.  Replay review adds about 15 minutes to the game and the calls are still screwed up.  What's the point?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It happened, I saw it happen multiple times.  But the overall success rate was pathetically low, and I know at one point was like under 5%.  Don't know where the season finished, but it was a rare overturn to say the least.  

I can think of more instances where the call clear as day that the challenge should 100% succeed and they still didn't over turn it.  This was a hard tank by the Refs and NFL allowed it to happen.  

Agree entirely. The refs had no intention of overturning PI calls and decided to sabotage it from the get go. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The review process in football has gotten away from what it was always intended to be and is now like what you described above.  It was only meant to overturn call which were glaringly obvious upon replay.  The standard described was that the average person in a bar could see that the call was wrong. Now they're zooming in to see if any rubber pellets flew which could indicate a toe grazed the playing surface, fractions of an inch on first down replays, and fractions of a second for possession.  It was meant to be a system where if with a good camera angle on the field the official can't immediately rule then call on field stands, game back on.

Totally.  Give the refs 30 seconds to watch it and they can only slow it down to half speed.  If they can't determine it's wrong by then with that, move on.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did the replay ever once change the call on the field?

Yes, actually overturned an INT if I recall, Bengals/Browns game at Cleveland. 

Edited by KzooMike

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did not read through three pages to see if anyone answered this. It happened in the Panthers vs Saints last year with the score tied. Original call of no PI vs New Orleans was overturned. Think the NFL was trying to send a message to New Orleans?

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did not read through three pages to see if anyone answered this. It happened in the Panthers vs Saints last year with the score tied. Original call of no PI vs New Orleans was overturned. Think the NFL was trying to send a message to New Orleans?

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The way it happened was a joke anyways.  The refs hardly overturned any call and did so on purpose because they didn't want it.

I agree. Just a question. How many would like to see the PI call changed to the way college does it? Or something like 15 yard penalty or if it was an obvious blatant PI to prevent a long gain or Td then apply the penalty of total yards. Reason being I really hate when a team gets all those yards on a so so PI call. It changes the game too much. 

It is unfortunate, this rule was really succeeding in exposing corruption. Why can’t refs make the correct call when they are obviously wrong? Rules like these over time would have forced more accountability. Sad to see the NFL going backwards. 

I can't say that I'm sorry to see it go.  It was a poorly conceived idea to address the horrendous missed call in the Saints/Rams playoff game.  They could have fixed the problem by firing the two officials who were in position to get the call right and didn't.  You only need to hang a couple on Main Street to inspire the rest to do great things in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Yes, actually overturned an INT if I recall, Bengals/Browns game at Cleveland. 

Early in the year they overturned several TDs on pass interference calls- I think one was against the Jets for us- but by week 3 the officials said screw this and shut down all calls unless they saw a knife