RIP Pass Interference Replay

It COULD have been an effective rule if the officials were actually willing to use it objectively. They seemed hell bent on ensuring calls were not changed.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The ridiculous standard for overturn is what killed this rule.  If the standard was "get the call right" it would have been more successful than "change the call only if the official royally screwed up and you don't want to be his friend any more."

• Like (+1) 2

honestly - i hated it as a review.  Just add a sky judge in the ear of all the refs to help with judgement calls.  Id rather a late flag come in than waiting for head ref to put a headset on, grab a tablet and all that crap.  

Can probably help with some of the bad phantom calls too

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 4

I wish they would just centralize the video review process.  If the color guys can figure out PI from replay while the officials are still huddling then I do not see why the head office could not cover PI, personal fouls, spot of the ball, catch/drop, down/not down in real time.  Get the call right on field as fast as possible.  

Having the refs go under that ridiculous curtain to review a play is asinine.

• Like (+1) 5

It was purposely set up to fail.  Putting the union boss (Riveron) in a position where he had to undermine his constituents on live TV was never going to work.  The NFL doesn't care, it prints money with little regard or concern for the integrity of the game.  

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I wish they would just centralize the video review process.  If the color guys can figure out PI from replay while the officials are still huddling then I do not see why the head office could not cover PI, personal fouls, spot of the ball, catch/drop, down/not down in real time.  Get the call right on field as fast as possible.  

Having the refs go under that ridiculous curtain to review a play is asinine.

Who makes the decision on all challenges?  Does it go to Al Riveron in NYC, or does the ref of each particular game go under the hood and rule in conjunction with someone in NYC?  Sometimes it drags on and on.  Most fans who watch enuf football can see from the first replay if not from the play in live time what the correct call should be.  The mistake that I find most annoying is when the ref mispots the ball at the end of the play.  This happens way too much.  There are what 6 or 7 zebras all over the place, and they come running in and miss the spot by close to a yard sometimes.  You sit there and scream at the TV, "that's clearly a first down", or he was short by a mile".  Mind boggling when they blow the spot.  Or when the receiver clearly comes down out of bounds with at least one foot and they call it a catch with the ref right near the receiver.  Ugh!!  Lets get the call correct the first time.  And if not streamline the process.

The PI review was a joke.  They overturned NOTHING!!  Saints got screwed in the playoff game against Minnesota.  Kyle Rudolph clearly pushed off when catching the winning TD.  That's like in the NHL in an OT playoff game.  Guy is on a breakaway and clearly gets pulled down and no call.  

On another topic just for fun, why is there almost no fighting in NHL Hockey any longer?  Anyone have an intelligent answer for me?  

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Lysol GIFs | Tenor

Not one by my count. 

I remember seeing it happen.

I always thought it was a bad idea. I don't know why people wanted it. Officiating is always going to have human error. League needs to have some sort of consequences for bad calls though.   Maybe make officials face the media after a game.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

It only did not work because the officials decided to kill it and the NFL allowed that to happen.  There were so many bad PI calls or non-calls that were challenged and the answer was clear as day to over turn the call on the field, and they simply refused.

Refs get an F for the borderline criminal handling of the challenges,  and the NFL gets an F for allowing it to happen and persist.  

They clearly decided it was not something they wanted and ran it so poorly so that no one would ever want it back.  There is 0 room for debate on this, Refs tanked this rule and NFL let it happen.  Teams on the field paid the price for this.  

Just appears to be something they did to pretend they cared about the horrible mistake in the Saints/Rams playoff game with NO intention of seeing it last.  It was an utter waste to roll it during a season and allow coaches to waste timeouts by believing the challenges would be taken serious and decisions would be made all above board on calls.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3