Alex Smith- Happy 36th Birthda- doing drills and Throwing

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Ive seen many “bad physicians”. I don’t know about a kick back- just flawed judgement maybe.

So have I. I had a physician tell me issue was psychosomatic and there was nothing physically wrong with ankle.

Next physician put me in boot thinking it was Plantar Fasciitis (very hard to diagnosis and very easy to diagnosis as such if patient answers questions which lend support to it) and I was almost crippled.  Physician said that should not happen and had MRI done on ankle (still have CD) and determined I had a golf ball size cyst in ankle intertwined with bones, capillaries and tendons.   Surgery was successful but since I had been having problems for 8 years with 8 different diagnoses my body had tried to work around issue and will never fully heal.

Showed doctor who called it psychosomatic it was a cyst he missed and called him a quack. He threatened to take to court for slander and I said fine I'll file claim with physician's review board and took my file.  Never paid bill and his office did not attempt to collect.

Medical diagnoses are more art than science.  Each physician makes guesstimates based on what physician has encountered and read.  All physicians do not run same tests.  And much of information from patient is subjective and depending on how things are worded can give different results. 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So have I. I had a physician tell me issue was psychosomatic and there was nothing physically wrong with ankle.

Next physician put me in boot thinking it was Plantar Fasciitis (very hard to diagnosis and very easy to diagnosis as such if patient answers questions which lend support to it) and I was almost crippled.  Physician said that should not happen and had MRI done on ankle (still have CD) and determined I had a golf ball size cyst in ankle intertwined with bones, capillaries and tendons.   Surgery was successful but since I had been having problems for 8 years with 8 different diagnoses my body had tried to work around issue and will never fully heal.

Showed doctor who called it psychosomatic it was a cyst he missed and called him a quack. He threatened to take to court for slander and I said fine I'll file claim with physician's review board and took my file.  Never paid bill and his office did not attempt to collect.

Medical diagnoses are more art than science.  Each physician makes guesstimates based on what physician has encountered and read.  All physicians do not run same tests.  And much of information from patient is subjective and depending on how things are worded can give different results. 

I concur...Doctor.

I similarly had an incorrectly diagnosed issue. I had severe pain my my shoulder for a number of years (10+) from playing tennis. I worked for a few years with a ortho who gave me painkillers for a while then finally sent me for an MRI. The results came back and after reading the notes, she told me I had a complex set of issues that likely required complex surgery...that might not fix the problem. I asked if I could get a cortisone shot for the pain. She thought that would damage me more. Finally, she sent me to the Redskins ortho at the time (coincidentally).

Great guy. I gave him the notes from the MRI. “No, I need to see the film myself.” Got him the film. “Yes, that’s what I thought. The person reading your film assumed you were younger. You have the typical shoulder of a 40 year old that played tennis. It’s just tendinitis.” Gave me a cortisone shot right then and there and prescribed PT. Never had an issue again. 

Played more tennis after 40 than I did the previous 25 years. Still on the courts today as I approach 60. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:35 AM, Hardhatharry said:

I dont see any NFL team wanting him. He was average and could only do a few things and some of the best coaches even had to dump him b/c his ceiling was hit.

That's ridiculous. 

Guys whose ceiling is 67.5% while completing 8.0 YPA, who put up 4042 yards in 15 games, and racked up 26 TDs and 5 INTs are absolutely going to have teams wanting him. It'll absolutely depend on his health but he was a whole lot better than average, particularly at his ceiling but even a bit below it.

I watched the E60 special on Alex today.  It is first amazing that he is alive and kept his leg.  It is a testament to his will and toughness that he has been able to come back this far.  That said, he would be insane to attempt a comeback, and it would be criminally negligent for the Redskins or any NFL team to allow him to play.  

You got to kind of root for this guy. He may still have a shot but he’s got to move quick. It’s crazy to think, the Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Losman draft was 2004...but the Rogers and Alex Smith draft was only 1 year later. It’s funny how 1 group of QBs seems so old, and literally 1 year later seems like they aren’t that old. The end is near for all of these guys. That’s why what Green Bay did needs to be understood 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's ridiculous. 

Guys whose ceiling is 67.5% while completing 8.0 YPA, who put up 4042 yards in 15 games, and racked up 26 TDs and 5 INTs are absolutely going to have teams wanting him. It'll absolutely depend on his health but he was a whole lot better than average, particularly at his ceiling but even a bit below it.

Stats don't ever tell the whole story... There eis a reason teams went to the Superbowl AFTER they got rid of Alex Smith. 

I don't see the Redskins ever letting him back even to practice this year.

He will be cut next year and they will use the 1 Jun designation on him for a Dead $ hit of 10 million split over 2 years.

No way they let him train or go to camp in 2021 and chance having to pay him 25 million on IR again.

It would be foolish for them to risk it but then again they are the Redskins!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Thurman#1 said:

That's ridiculous. 

He's had 2 seasons over 3500 yards and 20 TDs.  That's in 161 starts.  Fitzy has had more of both.

Pretty Average. 

• Like (+1) 1