Alex Smith- Happy 36th Birthda- doing drills and Throwing

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

This would be nothing short of a miracle if he's able to come back and play meaningful football.  I, for one, would LOVE to see it happen.

I hope he gets healthy enough to be able to play, but chooses not to.  I don’t want to see him get hurt again.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Can’t? Have you read something that says he will never be medically cleared? Just wondering?

See: his leg.  No physician would look at it and say: “you’re good to go”.

zero point zero

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

He took the 49ers to the Superbowl and had a bunch of good years in KC. Without the injury he'd be starting somewhere or at least one of the most coveted backups in the league.

He is a backup, nothing more. Which is why Superbowl contending teams got rid of him then made the Superbowl.

Just FYI he never took a team to a Superbowl.

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See: his leg.  No physician would look at it and say: “you’re good to go”.

zero point zero

I disagree- and I am in the medical field. It is all about the right physician with a different opinion. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I disagree- and I am in the medical field. It is all about the right physician with a different opinion. 

So all about getting that one guy who will either do it for a kick back or he is just such a bad physician he clears him.

15 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

So am I.  He has a large team of physicians who managed his near death lower extremity experience and some how salvaged his leg.  They would know best and they aren't going to put this barely intact limb and Smith at risk to clear him for an activity that would make no sense for his health.

The Redskins wouldn't ask the opinion of "the right physician" because they don't need him.  No team does.  Even if they did, they would have their own team physician consult with the ones who treated him and would conclude the obvious--he's done.

He's 36, he's made 173 million dollars (and that's before what he's still due from the Skins).  It's over.

• Like (+1) 2

WOW !!  that's awesome that he's able to get back to that point but i would be petrified at a 260 lb LB coming at me full steam i think the mental part of his recovery might be harder than the physical part ? then there is the question with the new staff in washington will Rivera want Smith as a viable starter sure his veteran leadership would be great . 

I don't think Rivera would be starting him & as far as trade bait i think you can forget it unless of course Bellichek comes calling which is a possibility and would be a great fit for Smith. I wouldn't put it past the Pats they have a unproven player in Stidham, Hoyer is who we thought he was, the others are nothing more than camp arms .

Smith could want to go to a place where he is more apt to have a good chance of starting and more than likely would take less cash to prove he still has what it takes ...

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So am I.  He has a large team of physicians who managed his near death lower extremity experience and some how salvaged his leg.  They would know best and they aren't going to put this barely intact limb and Smith at risk to clear him for an activity that would make no sense for his health.

The Redskins wouldn't ask the opinion of "the right physician" because they don't need him.  No team does.  Even if they did, they would have their own team physician consult with the ones who treated him and would conclude the obvious--he's done.

He's 36, he's made 173 million dollars (and that's before what he's still due from the Skins).  It's over.

His injury was nasty- and you are probably right but ive learned to never say never. That said, he would be foolish to try- save yourself and your health- go do something else- Go Bills. Good dialogue ?

5 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

So all about getting that one guy who will either do it for a kick back or he is just such a bad physician he clears him.

Ive seen many “bad physicians”. I don’t know about a kick back- just flawed judgement maybe.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

LOL it's not like he can show up to the Skins FO and say "look!...I have a doctor's note!".

The team's staff has to clear him, ultimately.  

2 hours ago, T master said:

WOW !!  that's awesome that he's able to get back to that point but i would be petrified at a 260 lb LB coming at me full steam i think the mental part of his recovery might be harder than the physical part ? then there is the question with the new staff in washington will Rivera want Smith as a viable starter sure his veteran leadership would be great . 

I don't think Rivera would be starting him & as far as trade bait i think you can forget it unless of course Bellichek comes calling which is a possibility and would be a great fit for Smith. I wouldn't put it past the Pats they have a unproven player in Stidham, Hoyer is who we thought he was, the others are nothing more than camp arms .

Smith could want to go to a place where he is more apt to have a good chance of starting and more than likely would take less cash to prove he still has what it takes ...

Bellichick passed on a healthy Dalton for one year and only 7 million.  

No one is going to trade anything for what's left of Smith plus what it will cost them.

It's amazing that he has a leg after seeing the details of what happened to him on the ESPN E60 "Project 11" special. After the flesh eating bacteria got done with him, they had to transplant muscle from his thigh and ass onto his lower leg. Amazing surgery, to be sure.

I also highly doubt he'll be cleared by a team to play unless they need a mid-season backup and the free-agent cupboard is bare.

If this guy was healthy, he would have been an obvious choice for the Patriots this season. I think he fits the mold of what they are looking for very well (accurate and mistake free).