2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills

2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is better?

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think we can all agree that this is the strongest roster we have had since 1999, but could it possibly be better?  The 1999 Bills still had the big names but Bruce, Andre, and Thurman were at the end of their careers.  Meanwhile future stars like Winfield and Pat Williams were just getting started.  Moulds was in his prime.

They are similar looking teams.  Dominate defenses and middle of the road offenses.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1999_roster.htm

Position wise, I have it as below:

QB: 2020

RB: 2020

WR: 2020

TE: Toss Up

OL: 1999

DE: 1999

DT: 1999

LB: 2020

CB: 2020

S: Toss Up

K/P: 1999

I'll take 2020.

I'll take the 99 team. 

QB: Flutie flakes

RB Thomas, A. Smith, J. Linton Sam Gash

WR Moulds P. Price A.Reed

TE Remiersma

Oline: 2020

DE Smith M. Wiley P. Hansen

DT T. Washington P. Williams

LB Sam Cowart S. Rodgers J.Holieck

K. Newman 

CB 2020

S Henry Jones Kurt Shultz

Yeah give me the 99 team. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jay was a decent all around TE, but I don't understand why the hate for Knox? Where is it coming from.

I love Knox but Jay was amazing to me.

It seemed like every game he'd catch the ball at the opponents 5 then stretch the ball over the goalline for the td. All while toe drag swagging the sideline.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the easiest way to do it compared to their peers at the time.  That 99 team was a play away from beating a team that was a play away from winning the SB.  The 19 team won 10 games but wasn’t exactly a juggernaut against one of the easiest schedules in franchise history.  It would be a low scoring game but I give the 99 team the edge 10-6!

But they had a giant lead over the team that had a giant leas over the Super Bowl Champs. 

Honestly who knows what happens if the Bills beat the Titans that year. Also how does the Chiefs and Bills game play out?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the easiest way to do it compared to their peers at the time.  That 99 team was a play away from beating a team that was a play away from winning the SB.  The 19 team won 10 games but wasn’t exactly a juggernaut against one of the easiest schedules in franchise history.  It would be a low scoring game but I give the 99 team the edge 10-6!

You need to account for Diggs, Epenesa, Addison, Moss, etc. We are talking today's roster.

I would not factor in the relative strength of AFC opponents in this exercise.  

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

10 drops to 28 catches doesn't impress me

The talent is elite. Have to develop it.

35 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I love Knox but Jay was amazing to me.

It seemed like every game he'd catch the ball at the opponents 5 then stretch the ball over the goalline for the td. All while toe drag swagging the sideline.

He was about as average as it gets.

2 hours ago, DrDare said:

'91 not just greatest Bills team but perhaps greatest team ever. Playcalling in SB ruined it so it will not be thought of that way except by some in B-lo

I always thought the 1992 team was the best Bills roster man for man, but had some key injuries that hurt their record including Kelly who was hurt at the end of the season & early in Super Bowl XXVII.  Very similar rosters but the few tweaks, including Christie replacing Norwood, put 1992's roster ahead of 1991's.  

13 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I get liking Knox, but elite talent is quite the stretch .... as far as Remirsma, I’ll agree - just about average 

Hands are questionable based on the drops, but he's also made extremely difficult catches.

I believe Knox has elite speed and run after catch ability for the position. He's a good route runner and has just just started playing the position. He has good size for the position. He's a willing blocker but needs to be better. 

I think he's an elite TE prospect entering his 2nd year. I put him right up there with the top 2 TEs drafted last season.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hands are questionable based on the drops, but he's also made extremely difficult catches.

I believe Knox has elite speed and run after catch ability for the position. He's a good route runner and has just just started playing the position. He has good size for the position. He's a willing blocker but needs to be better. 

I love Knox's potential but his results thus far are nothing close to elite. 

He has terrible hands thus far, good speed and excellent YAC as you say, but good route runner is debatable. He has decent size, willing blocker yes good blocker no. He missed two big ones that I can recall off the top of my head, one against Ravens where he completely whiffed on Judon and another on the second QB sweep vs Texans that would have probably won the game.

There is a lot to like about the kid. I think if he puts it all together he could be special. But there's nothing elite about him at the moment.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I love Knox's potential but his results thus far are nothing close to elite. 

He has terrible hands thus far, good speed and excellent YAC as you say, but good route runner is debatable. He has decent size, willing blocker yes good blocker no. He missed two big ones that I can recall off the top of my head, one against Ravens where he completely whiffed on Judon and another on the second QB sweep vs Texans that would have probably won the game.

There is a lot to like about the kid. I think if he puts it all together he could be special. But there's nothing elite about him at the moment.

His athleticism is elite. He needs to develop. Rookie TE is one of the hardest jobs. 

Inconsistent hands is a better way to put it. I believe he had a couple bad games with drops.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 hours ago, boater said:

That we're comparing teams 20 years apart is a sad sign of futility that Bills fans have had to endure.

We all suffered through the last 20 years.  This is a new era and it's  time to put the past in the past.  Go 2020 Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His athleticism is elite. He needs to develop. Rookie TE is one of the hardest jobs. 

Inconsistent hands is a better way to put it. I believe he had a couple bad games with drops.

If you feel that way that's fine, but if you look around the league there are legit monsters at TE right now. Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Waller, Engram, Andrews...those are the crazy elite athletes. Knox reminds me of Goedert. That would be my comparison for him right now. 

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1991 team vs. 2020 team, all players in their prime.  Who wins?  2020 has 30 years of size/speed increases.  1991 team was a more accomplished team.  Tempting to say its a wipe-out for 2020, but I think players like Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Andre - their skills would still translate.

1990-1991 teams would crush the 2020 team.  The '90 and '91 teams were  VERY good teams

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If you feel that way that's fine, but if you look around the league there are legit monsters at TE right now. Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Waller, Engram, Andrews...those are the crazy elite athletes. Knox reminds me of Goedert. That would be my comparison for him right now. 

It's his rookie year. Again TE is very hard on rookies. Knox was as impressive a rookie as a lot of the best TEs. Needs to develop what he showed as a rookie.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I always thought the 1992 team was the best Bills roster man for man, but had some key injuries that hurt their record including Kelly who was hurt at the end of the season & early in Super Bowl XXVII.  Very similar rosters but the few tweaks, including Christie replacing Norwood, put 1992's roster ahead of 1991's.  

Right

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's his rookie year. Again TE is very hard on rookies. Knox was as impressive a rookie as a lot of the best TEs. Needs to develop what he showed as a rookie.

So if Knox needs to develop, he's not elite...correct?

I like Knox, he has a lot of potential, but that is all it is right now, potential with a high ceiling.  Same with Josh.  You can't call Josh elite, because he's not; at this point he is an athletic QB with a high ceiling.