2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills

2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is better?

I think we can all agree that this is the strongest roster we have had since 1999, but could it possibly be better?  The 1999 Bills still had the big names but Bruce, Andre, and Thurman were at the end of their careers.  Meanwhile future stars like Winfield and Pat Williams were just getting started.  Moulds was in his prime.

They are similar looking teams.  Dominate defenses and middle of the road offenses.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1999_roster.htm

Position wise, I have it as below:

QB: 2020

RB: 2020

WR: 2020

TE: Toss Up

OL: 1999

DE: 1999

DT: 1999

LB: 2020

CB: 2020

S: Toss Up

K/P: 1999

I'll take 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The 1999 team are all in their 40's and 50's now.

The 2020 team would crush those old guys.

The only correct answer!!!

but play

1 - who’s the 99 qb?  

2 - what era rules are we playing with?  Because Allen would be a low 50 passer in ‘99

• Like (+1) 1

1991 team vs. 2020 team, all players in their prime.  Who wins?  2020 has 30 years of size/speed increases.  1991 team was a more accomplished team.  Tempting to say its a wipe-out for 2020, but I think players like Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Andre - their skills would still translate.

• Like (+1) 1

I read this as 1989 bills and was assuming that was the same as '91 (i was very young and dont know if they were similar team) so voted 1999, i would change it if i could

edit - just found out we could change

Edited by DrDare

4 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1991 team vs. 2020 team, all players in their prime.  Who wins?  2020 has 30 years of size/speed increases.  1991 team was a more accomplished team.  Tempting to say its a wipe-out for 2020, but I think players like Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Andre - their skills would still translate.

I think the easiest way to do it compared to their peers at the time.  That 99 team was a play away from beating a team that was a play away from winning the SB.  The 19 team won 10 games but wasn’t exactly a juggernaut against one of the easiest schedules in franchise history.  It would be a low scoring game but I give the 99 team the edge 10-6!

11 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

'91 not just greatest Bills team but perhaps greatest team ever. Playcalling in SB ruined it so it will not be thought of that way except by some in B-lo

Edited by DrDare

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the easiest way to do it compared to their peers at the time.  That 99 team was a play away from beating a team that was a play away from winning the SB.  The 19 team won 10 games but wasn’t exactly a juggernaut against one of the easiest schedules in franchise history.  It would be a low scoring game but I give the 99 team the edge 10-6!

I think we're comparing to the 2020 team, no? Hence, fair amount of projection both in terms of what players and positional groups will accomplish and in terms of how posters consistently evaluate particular players in terms of both accomplishment and likely development or lack thereof. In short, its even more speculative than taking two finished seasons as the basis for comparison.

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That '91 era team partied its way out of at least two Superbowl victories. Maybe all 4...

Such a shame. They were so much fun to watch.

I don't see that happening with the '20 team, should they go deep in the playoffs.

I was young but I remember the Washington R words were a much superior team and so was the first Cowboys.  The only one that was for sure were the Giants.  I think by point spread, it’s one of the biggest upsets in SB history.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I think we can all agree that this is the strongest roster we have had since 1999, but could it possibly be better?  The 1999 Bills still had the big names but Bruce, Andre, and Thurman were at the end of their careers.  Meanwhile future stars like Winfield and Pat Williams were just getting started.  Moulds was in his prime.

They are similar looking teams.  Dominate defenses and middle of the road offenses.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1999_roster.htm

Position wise, I have it as below:

QB: 2020

RB: 2020

WR: 2020

TE: Toss Up

OL: 1999

DE: 1999

DT: 1999

LB: 2020

CB: 2020

S: Toss Up

K/P: 1999

I'll take 2020.

I am curious on why you would take last years dl edit never mind I misread the years

Edited by John from Riverside

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Oh man Riemersma over Knox right now 100%

overall though I like this squad by a decent margin for modern pro football 

Jay was a decent all around TE, but I don't understand why the hate for Knox? Where is it coming from.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede