Convince me that the 2020 Pats are good...

42 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Yeah I disagree, lots of teams trade with them (help them) all the time.  And 16 teams are in another conference.  I agree it may not be in Indy's best interest but anything can be had for the right price.  I dont see him pulling a rabbit out of his butt however I do see them being better than people think.

I guess we'll see.  I do take your point about the NFC.  If there is going to be any trades for a QB it would have to come from there.

As to "the right price" I'm sure Beane would consider a Barkley trade for next years 2nd!  LOL.

Seriously though, I believe the reports that is Stidham and Hoyer this year.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess we'll see.  I do take your point about the NFC.  If there is going to be any trades for a QB it would have to come from there.

As to "the right price" I'm sure Beane would consider a Barkley trade for next years 2nd!  LOL.

Seriously though, I believe the reports that is Stidham and Hoyer this year.

And someone might consider trading Bledsoe in the division for a 1st rounder.  It happens.  A couple years ago the Brown supposedly had a deal for AJ McCarron for a 2nd.  Dont get me wrong, I want what you are saying to be true and maybe after two decades I can't see straight but I dont think Belichick is going down without a significant fight.  For him, this is just another chance for him to double down and move his legend forward by continuing to be successful without Brady.  I believe he wants it and will do  all he can to achieve.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

And someone might consider trading Bledsoe in the division for a 1st rounder.  It happens.  A couple years ago the Brown supposedly had a deal for AJ McCarron for a 2nd.  Dont get me wrong, I want what you are saying to be true and maybe after two decades I can't see straight but I dont think Belichick is going down without a significant fight.  For him, this is just another chance for him to double down and move his legend forward by continuing to be successful without Brady.  I believe he wants it and will do  all he can to achieve.

I do too BUT Lord knows there was more starter type QBs around this off season than almost any other time I can remember and he didn't do anything.

I have to admit it's one of the biggest "head scratching" things I've seen in the NFL in a long time.

We'll all have to wait to see how this plays out.

The thing is that everyone is counting on their starters at QB to stink and even if that happens after a few games. The Patriots can make a trade for Andy Dalton or pickup Cam Newton. 

The Patriots have a HC who wasn't afraid to trade away their #1 overall pick at QB to a division rival in Drew Bledsoe (a 3 time pro bowler, a QB who had taken them to a SB) Tom Brady was a 6th round pick in Bill Belichick's first year with New England. The very next season they went 11-5 and beat the Rams in the SB.

While it's also very true Buffalo was a 3-13 doormat after HC Wade Phillips...Doug Williams as HC, Mike Shepard as OC, Jerry Grey as DC... 

I wouldn't underestimate what that crafty ole bastage can do with a team no matter who his QB is...

** On a side note in 2000, Bills OC Brian Daboll was a defensive assistant with New England. Rob Ryan was LBers assistant coach

7 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The thing is that everyone is counting on their starters at QB to stink and even if that happens after a few games. The Patriots can make a trade for Andy Dalton or pickup Cam Newton. 

The Patriots have a HC who wasn't afraid to trade away their #1 overall pick at QB to a division rival in Drew Bledsoe (a 3 time pro bowler, a QB who had taken them to a SB) Tom Brady was a 6th round pick in Bill Belichick's first year with New England. The very next season they went 11-5 and beat the Rams in the SB.

While it's also very true Buffalo was a 3-13 doormat after HC Wade Phillips...Doug Williams as HC, Mike Shepard as OC, Jerry Grey as DC... 

I wouldn't underestimate what that crafty ole bastage can do with a team no matter who his QB is...

** On a side note in 2000, Bills OC Brian Daboll was a defensive assistant with New England. Rob Ryan was LBers assistant coach

Why would they trade for Dalton? They could have had him for free last week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, Nihilarian said:

Gregg Williams

Also, Bledsoe was DONE the year before. I was living in Boston at that time. I remember the Bills had a parade when they traded for him. I was cursing at the TV. He came in an played 8 great games and from that point forward was no better than EJ, Edwards, Losman, etc... 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

we’re not living in 2000 anymore. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I did watch for a bit. Had to leave. I don’t remember much about that game from the first time around. 

It was sobering. Yeah we came close but New England pushed us around. The Bills D and O-line has to get better if we are to become elite.

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It was sobering. Yeah we came close but New England pushed us around. The Bills D and O-line has to get better if we are to become elite.

The Bills D line might have improved somewhat this off season but the O line still gives me pause. 

Looks like this FO along with Bills fans keep thinking they will face the same bums and bum Qb's they faced in 2019 while overlooking the better teams that beat up on them.  Their win over Tennessee was against Mariota, Fitz 2x, The Redskins Rookie Haskins, Denver Brandon Allen, Steelers Duck Hodges. That's five QB's that have already been upgraded by their teams. Haskins may or may not start over Kyle Allen this season.  The Bills faced nine teams with losing records in 2019 and the Jets, Dolphins 2x. 

The Eagles just dominated both lines and beat up on the Bills soundly. That 31-13 score really didn't show the Eagles dominance. 41 rushes for 2018 3 TDs with a ToP 35:57 to 24:03. That loss should have been an eye opener to this FO and yet no big upgrades. That Ravens Blitz the Buffalo O line had no answer for. 

This season will be very telling in so many areas. No more weak, craps teams on this seasons schedule. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

The Bills D line might have improved somewhat this off season but the O line still gives me pause. 

Looks like this FO along with Bills fans keep thinking they will face the same bums and bum Qb's they faced in 2019 while overlooking the better teams that beat up on them.  Their win over Tennessee was against Mariota, Fitz 2x, The Redskins Rookie Haskins, Denver Brandon Allen, Steelers Duck Hodges. That's five QB's that have already been upgraded by their teams.

I’d be shocked if Tua is an upgrade over Fitzpatrick this season.  I think he’ll be the backup, learning on the sidelines ...  unless he’s pressed into service because of injury.

20 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Eagles just dominated both lines and beat up on the Bills soundly. That 31-13 score really didn't show the Eagles dominance. 41 rushes for 2018 3 TDs with a ToP 35:57 to 24:03. That loss should have been an eye opener to this FO and yet no big upgrades. That Ravens Blitz the Buffalo O line had no answer for. 

I was at that game.  I put a lot of the blame on Cahill and McDermott for this one.  While the Eagles ran 41 times and controlled the clock, we PASSED 41 times in a 40 MpH wind storm with a young QB.

Of course Josh fumbling right before the half at our own end Of the field resulting in Eagles points didn't help either.

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was at that game.  I put a lot of the blame on Cahill and McDermott for this one.  While the Eagles ran 41 times and controlled the clock, we PASSED 41 times in a 40 MpH wind storm with a young QB.

Of course Josh fumbling right before the half at our own end Of the field resulting in Eagles points didn't help either.

It was somewhat windy and also mild rain which would seem to be conducive to running the ball... kinda what the Eagles did all game. 

What I don't get is when the offense isn't effectively working with the current game plan, why isn't there a plan B, or C and anything other than putting the game on young, inexperienced QB's shoulders to make things work. It occurs to me that this is the same plan by all the trash OC's in the league. 

This was only week 8 and Gore was kinda limited in this game, 9 rushes for 34 yards, a 3.8 YPC avg. Singletary had 3 rushes for 19 yards with a 16 yard run, with a 6.3 ypc avg so... Singletary also caught a 28 yard TD. And again, I go back to why was this kid so underutilized all season?

The results of this particular game should have raised quite a lot of questions about the Bills O line, play caller and most seem happy just to point at the QB. Must be including the HC, FO.

• Like (+1) 1

They did go 11-5 with Matt Cassel so I wouldn’t count out Jarrett Stidham. Could be looking at Brian Hoyer early on to start the year and Stidham gets a shot later on in the season. The Patriots developed a slew of QBs outside of Tom Brady including Matt Cassel, Jimmy Garropolo and Jacoby Brissett but they’ve also missed on others such as Danny Etling, Ryan Mallett and Kevin O’Connell. So it remains to be seen as far as what kind of QB Jarrett Stidham is.

The Patriots also boast the best coach to ever grace the game. Belichick and the Patriots have done well without Tom Brady when injured in the past. They’ve also developed decent QBs outside of Brady as mentioned up above. I will also say that the Patriots first three picks were rock solid. Dugger, Uche and Jennings will all be elite players in Belichick’s system. Not sure about the rest of their draft but Belichick certainly made that defense a lot better which is scary because their secondary is already one of the best in the NFL.

In closing. I think the Bills and the Patriots will battle tooth and nail for the divisional crown. The Patriots will not bottom out, their defense and coaching staff is too good for that and they have a nifty running attack behind a solid OL. I think 10 wins is not out of the question for New England, Buffalo will need 10-12 wins to win the division. I don’t think Stidham will be the guy but I think he’ll fit their system well and New England will likely go QB next year. The Jets and Dolphins will be non-factors.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

They did go 11-5 with Matt Cassel so I wouldn’t count out Jarrett Stidham. Could be looking at Brian Hoyer early on to start the year and Stidham gets a shot later on in the season. The Patriots developed a slew of QBs outside of Tom Brady including Matt Cassel, Jimmy Garropolo and Jacoby Brissett but they’ve also missed on others such as Danny Etling, Ryan Mallett and Kevin O’Connell. So it remains to be seen as far as what kind of QB Jarrett Stidham is.

The Patriots also boast the best coach to ever grace the game. Belichick and the Patriots have done well without Tom Brady when injured in the past. They’ve also developed decent QBs outside of Brady as mentioned up above. I will also say that the Patriots first three picks were rock solid. Dugger, Uche and Jennings will all be elite players in Belichick’s system. Not sure about the rest of their draft but Belichick certainly made that defense a lot better which is scary because their secondary is already one of the best in the NFL.

In closing. I think the Bills and the Patriots will battle tooth and nail for the divisional crown. The Patriots will not bottom out, their defense and coaching staff is too good for that and they have a nifty running attack behind a solid OL. I think 10 wins is not out of the question for New England, Buffalo will need 10-12 wins to win the division. I don’t think Stidham will be the guy but I think he’ll fit their system well and New England will likely go QB next year. The Jets and Dolphins will be non-factors.

True but they lost 5 games more compared to the previous season despite Cassel taking over one of the greatest offenses/teams in NFL history that lost the SB on a fluky play, and facing one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.  That's not the case for Stidham.

Sure they have weaknesses (as almost every team has) but they also have top tier strengths, which are significant segments. And BB has fielded teams with sub par groupings before (not that long ago their D was a liability, not a strength) and they continued to win.

Haven't seen much of him but what I have suggests to me that Stidham is not a dog (Hoyer is a dog). 

Predictions that the Pats will implode seem to me to be flat out wrong (at first I used a more colourful word). BB will not field a losing team this year. To me their floor is 8-8 and they will probably be better than that. 9-7, 10-6 seem more likely to me. 11-5 is I think a stretch. 12-4 is not happening IMO. 

Unfortunately the Pats will be competitive within the Division once again. They will not be dominant however. 

Edited by starrymessenger

• 5 months later...

This is an interesting thread to look back on after tonight's game. And this discussion was BEFORE they got Cam Newton. With Stidham as the starter I'm not sure they would have won a game yet. Turns out not even Belichick can work magic with a terrible roster.