Convince me that the 2020 Pats are good...

They're going 2-14. We're going 14-2. But those two losses will be against them.

Seriously though, as others have posted, coaching matters in the NFL. Belichick is the best to ever do it and is still there. Brady wasn't good last year and they still won the division easily. He has never needed a star studded roster to have success. So yes, they are still the team to beat in the division. 

13 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

to be fair, neither does “they lost Brady and a couple other guys, so they’ll obviously suck”.

How about they lost their cerebral 20 year vet that could cover up their large deficiencies on offense(that they didn’t fix). They lost their legendary OL coach..... or the fact that they lost 3 top starters from their front 7 on defense? A defense that carried them the whole 2nd half of the season. Would that about do it? 

......oh. And stidham..... The “team to beat until proven otherwise” narrative is silly when you add that all up. 

sorry, but the whole “ But it’s the pats” crap is just a lazy programmed response from the last 20 years. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In a down year Brady completed 61% of his passes, threw for 4,057 yards with 24 TDs and 8 INTs. If Stidham duplicates those numbers, with that lack of talent, they’ll throw a parade. I think that he will be closer to Trubisky (about 3,300 yards, 18 TDs, 11 INTs). 

And I think he will be worse than that. 3,000 yards, 12 TDs, 12 INTs.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In a down year Brady completed 61% of his passes, threw for 4,057 yards with 24 TDs and 8 INTs. If Stidham duplicates those numbers, with that lack of talent, they’ll throw a parade. I think that he will be closer to Trubisky (about 3,300 yards, 18 TDs, 11 INTs). 

Seven of the his last nine games were sub 60% passes including a sub 50% performance. http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/gamelogs

While he still found a way, it was definitively a down year for him. His stats skew positive from the first half of the year when they were winning 38-7 (with a few outliers in there including another sub 50% performance). 

His numbers for the year were solid but he definitely wasn’t the TB of old, in my opinion. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Seven of the his last nine games were sub 60% passes including a sub 50% performance. http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/gamelogs

While he still found a way, it was definitively a down year for him. His stats skew positive from the first half of the year when they were winning 38-7 (with a few outliers in there including another sub 50% performance). 

His numbers for the year were solid but he definitely wasn’t the TB of old, in my opinion. 

I agree that he was/is certainly on the decline. I do wonder though how much of that is playing with the worst group of skill players that he ever had? The only guy that he trusted was Edelman. The lack of talent around him is a part of the reason that he left IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

His cerebral approach at least kept the offense competent, for the most part,  in the 2nd half Of the season. IMO that covered up quite a bit they were lacking on offense.  That’s gone now and I think it could get ugly for them on that side of the ball. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree that he was/is certainly on the decline. I do wonder though how much of that is playing with the worst group of skill players that he ever had? The only guy that he trusted was Edelman. The lack of talent around him is a part of the reason that he left IMO.

Agree completely. From the four or so complete games I watched of his, that was clearly a concern. I also believe he discussed this prior to the year starting. This year, in Tampa, may answer this question...albeit a year older. 

While I never wish for anyone’s demise, I have to admit I’m tired of him in this league. It’s been long enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think people underestimate Brady, even in a down year, with his ability to provide leadership, accountability and the expertise to read the defense at an uncanny level.  Losing Brady "should' be a big deal.

That said, they still have one of the top defenses on paper, along with elite coaching. 

If Allen makes the jump to where he's dubbed the "Franchise" guy by most.... we should run away with this division.   If not, the Jets and Dolphins aren't gimme games and with an "on-paper tougher schedule" will be fighting with the Pats to win the division at 9-7/10-6.

*My post also contains a heavy dose of "I'll believe they're not good when I see it".

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So, I’ve been posting this in numerous threads for a few months. I know there are some people with me on it and some that think it’s crazy. The Pats are a bad team.

They haven't lost their most important player, Director of Spying, and will only be in bottom third if they want to be.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

To me, the biggest question will be whether they still have the Refs in their pocket. If so, that's usually good for about 2 additional wins right there.

I heard Brady got the refs in the divorce.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

I think Kirby is correct, by measure they are not a good team, put any other jersey on that roster and everyone would say that’s not a team to fear. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Allen makes the jump to where he's dubbed the "Franchise" guy by most.... we should run away with this division.

I agree, we might actually be the weakest division in football this year. It might be a year where 8-8 wins the AFC East. Obviously I'm hoping we do much better than that but I can't pick out 8 wins for the Patriots, Dolphins, or Jets. It's a brutal schedule and they all have major question marks. Even our team playing exactly as it did last year would very likely win the division. That's our floor. Our ceiling this year depends on how far Allen progresses.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

I have said since day one that Tom Brady is a system QB and belichick is the real reason for the patriots dynasty. If stidham goes out there this season and lights it up, while Brady craps himself in Tampa with gronk, evans, and Godwin you will never hear the end of it from me calling out SysTom. 

I have also shared the thought that Brady is a systems QB.  He's great at reading the defense at the line of scrimmage and making those quick throws.  He's very unlikely to improvise and make the throws that Brees, Rogers, Mahomes, etc can make.  

The reasons the Pats may be good this year:

1. Bellichek's coaching, arguably the greatest of all time

2. Their defense keeping them in games (directly related to my #1).

• Like (+1) 2

I am trying to show why they will be good but do not believe all this will happen:

1) the Pat's still have elite DBs and a front seven that is good, therefore passing will be minimized and maybe Defense scores a few TDs to win games 

2)BB is famous for specialized play calling for his team vs the other team, and Stidham does not have much tape.

3) Stidham just needs to be functional in order for the offense to put up 13 pts which should win a few.

4) they can win a game or two on special teams.

5) BB is willing to cheat to win, and this year probably even more so than usual.

With all that said I expect a 7-9 year.

• Like (+1) 1