ROTOWORLDS top 25 coaches

Sorry if this is posted already. Still no love for Josh in this article, but nice write up on Sean. 

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/05/rotoworld-lists-best-nfl-hcs-where-does-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-rank.html

11. Sean McDermott

Career Record: 25-23 (.521)

With The Bills Since: 2017

Last Year’s Ranking: 16

The Bills have two playoff appearances this century. They have come under Sean McDermott over the past three seasons. Although McDermott is still working on the franchise’s first postseason victory since Bill Clinton was president, he has confirmed himself as one of the top coaching hires of the past half decade. Already one of the league’s best defensive game-planners, McDermott has coordinated top-three units by yards allowed each of the past two years. The Bills’ 259 points against last season were the second fewest in the NFL. McDermott knows defense, period. He’s still working on the rest. A brash front office presence alongside his handpicked GM Brandon Beane, McDermott’s executive aggressiveness has handicapped his offense, where the project is now tied to Josh Allen. Allen’s concerns coming out of the Mountain West were accuracy and decision-making. They had the looks of fatal flaws in 2019, never more so than in the Wild Card Round, where Allen’s stupefying choices down the stretch helped ***** defeat from the jaws of victory. McDermott is the coach of the future in Buffalo. He’s probably still a quarterback away from translating that into annual winning campaigns and playoff appearances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wow. It has Frank Reich up at 13 as well. That's higher than I expected given that the Colts really haven't been able to do much yet. But Reich is very well thought of, it seems.

Sure its the kids first playoff game and its on the road but its all his fault.

It was Watsons second kick at the can and both games were at home and he should have lost both.

BTW 11th seems just about right not too high or low. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Sure its the kids first playoff game and its on the road but its all his fault.

It was Watsons second kick at the can and both games were at home and he should have lost both.

BTW 11th seems just about right not too high or low. 

Right. And the new NFL golden boy, Lamar Jackson, is 0-2 in the playoffs. Barely ever hear a peep about that. In fact his numbers are atrocious in his 2 games. Completing 51% of his passes with 3td and 5 turnovers. Let’s add in a passer rating in the 60’s. 

as for mcdermott. My initial reaction was “that seems a bit low”, but as I looked down the names of the top 10 there wasn’t anyone i could definitively put him in front of. So I agree 11 seems like a good slot for him. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4

He stunk after getting earholed early in the third. Betting concussion.. Was never called but video showed it clearly.  We will see this year if he improves from last year... but his second half of that game was very on Allen like even for him.

Any list of the best coaches in the NFL where Pete Carroll is only 9th should just be disposed of.

To me the top 7 is pretty obvious:

Belichick is #1 and then Payton, Reid, Carroll and Harbaugh are 2 through 5 in some order. Then Mike Tomlin and Doug Pederson are #6 and #7.

After that do you go for the vet coaches who always have you competitive - Zimmer, Arians, Rivera, O'Brien (remember this is coaches not what they have done as GMs) or do you go the younger generation - Shanahan, McVay, McDermott, Lynn.... or do you mix them all together based on other criteria. Shanahan, Rivera and McVay have taken teams to Superbowls... but then so has Dan Quinn and he is near the bottom of my list.

You also have Mike McCarthy to rank somewhere. He is, after all, a Superbowl winning Head Coach.

#11 feels in the right ball park for McDermott. It might even be a spot or two higher than I'd have placed him despite being a huge fan of his.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Any list of the best coaches in the NFL where Pete Carroll is only 9th should just be disposed of.

To me the top 7 is pretty obvious:

Belichick is #1 and then Payton, Reid, Carroll and Harbaugh are 2 through 5 in some order. Then Mike Tomlin and Doug Pederson are #6 and #7.

After that do you go for the vet coaches who always have you competitive - Zimmer, Arians, Rivera, O'Brien (remember this is coaches not what they have done as GMs) or do you go the younger generation - Shanahan, McVay, McDermott, Lynn.... or do you mix them all together based on other criteria. Shanahan, Rivera and McVay have taken teams to Superbowls... but then so has Dan Quinn and he is near the bottom of my list.

You also have Mike McCarthy to rank somewhere. He is, after all, a Superbowl winning Head Coach.

#11 feels in the right ball park for McDermott. It might even be a spot or two higher than I'd have placed him despite being a huge fan of his.

Rivera is interesting because he always follows up a good year with a bad or mediocre year. Plus the past two years the Panthers have not been good, so I think he deserves to not be among the top 10-12 coaches. They don't actually have him ranked because he's a new coach, but I wouldn't put him super high. Probably somewhere around McDermott.

32 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah this ranking is neat.  I've never seen a "coaches" power ranking.  I'd prob put MCD ahead of Zimmer, but that might be it.  Will be nice when he is #1 next season after our SB victory!

Bill Belichick could have 5 losing seasons in a row and still be cemented in to that #1 spot, unfortunately. He'd have to retire.

NFL press is such a funny thing.  Single games are decided by single plays, inches, and randomness all the time.  A seasons body of work is a testimony to the entire organization.  Playoffs in 2 of 3 years is a feat, and complete overhaul of mindset, procedures, strategy and roster were required.  

that game w HOU could have (and should have) been won by the Bills on so many different occurrences... had it been would this be a completely different take from this guy?  Would the national press declare Josh is the next league superstar?  Football is a game of inches, even in the press and media.  

Edited by Bill Murray

the only coaches I’d consider taking over McD are Reid, Pederson, and even though I hate to admit it, Payton. I don’t think McVay, Tomlin, Carrol, Harbaugh, etc could change the whole bills organization like McD has (though beane deserves a good amt of credit too) 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

the only coaches I’d consider taking over McD are Reid, Pederson, and even though I hate to admit it, Payton. I don’t think McVay, Tomlin, Carrol, Harbaugh, etc could change the whole bills organization like McD has (though beane deserves a good amt of credit too) 

Maybe Harbaugh

39 minutes ago, nucci said:

Maybe Harbaugh

I love McDermott like a family member but if I thought I could get John Harbaugh I'd kick McDermott's wrestler butt out of town so fast he'd think he'd been suplexed by Hulk Hogan. To my mind after Bill Belichick he is the best coach in the NFL. You can make arguments about the order of that next 4 or 5 after Belichick though. My argument for Harbaugh would be that he has been incredibly consistent. His only losing season is when they were ravaged by injuries, and they won a Superbowl beating teams they were less talented than all along the road. His teams consistently out perform their talent. I think only Belichick and Pete Carroll have been able to do that in the same way.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/6/2020 at 6:12 AM, BruceVilanch said:

Sorry if this is posted already. Still no love for Josh in this article, but nice write up on Sean. 

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/05/rotoworld-lists-best-nfl-hcs-where-does-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-rank.html

I think should start providing links to the sites whose writers actually WROTE the story, instead of giving clicks to plagiarists.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2020

• Like (+1) 2

Amazing that they're blaming Josh for the playoff loss.  The drops, 4th and 27, Daboll not running Singletary once in OT, none of that is on Josh.  McD booted that game, so I'm not holding a parade for him until he figures out how not to choke it away.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott still has a long way to go as far as game day coaching is concerned. His schemes and culture seem to be on point, but there’s certain points in almost every game, where you go “What are doing?” once he cleans that up he will be in the Top 10 for sure