GMFB -- Bills Love. 👀 ​💪 - 2021 season — Is cantaloupe the offensive lineman of the fruit salad?

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What bothers me is how nervous I still feel

about this team!  When the Bills were a perennial playoff team, I never had these jitters about whether they would deliver a 12+ win season.

i think we can win 12 games, yet I still remain nervous about the team and fears still lurk in my head. 

Anyone else feel the same way? 

The NFL unlike the MLB or NBA is very volatile. Injuries and luck in close games are always two big equalizers. Injuries can derail any season in any league but they are much more likely to happen in a given NFL season. Then of course there are always 2-3 close games in an NFL season that come down to a missed field goal or a late turnover or something very goofy. If those 2-3 games go against you a team that should have won 10 games wins 7 or 8. 

I genuinely think this team if reasonably healthy (every team has injuries) and no regression from Josh is a 10-11 win team and is easily a 12 win team with even moderate progression from Josh. But you just never know in the NFL what is going to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Either way you slice it there is no way the schedule will be as easy as last season. That was a historic cake walk of a schedule.

100% agree. If you don’t see that it’s because you don’t want to. 

With that being said that schedule is difficult for the whole division. Miami is the only team that gets somewhat of a breather. The division was 34-30 last year. They won’t be this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

SOS for the coming year is simply a useless stat. I never understand how anyone uses it to measure anything other than off season boredom.

I would rephrase your last question, however; how much will it change with Stidham?

I genuinely am asking this question because I don't follow college ball and have no idea what to expect with Stidham. This board is filled with QB prognosticators who declare their confident predictions of how good/bad a quarterback will be.  I would love to hear anyone's opinion on Stidham. Until you know what the Pats* have in him, it's difficult to be completely confident that the Bills take the East again.

Where are you, Stidham prognosticators? What should we expect?

I have  no clue re Stidham. 

SOS is based on the previous season and I agree it isn't a tell all.  

La Canfora: Bills have the best roster in the AFC East and it 'doesn't appear to be particularly close'

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/cc42045f-0158-366c-93cc-a21459d13266/la-canfora%3A-bills-have-the.html

The hype surrounding the 2020 Buffalo Bills is prevalent with many around the National Football League, even before a single snap has been taken this year. With the additions made by the Bills since the start of the offseason, plus the uncertainties surrounding the other teams in the AFC East, the Bills are a favorite to win the division for the first time in several years. CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora is someone else that is high on the Bills, as he discussed in his 2020 NFL season predictions. In his preseason predictions, La Canfora has the Bills winning the AFC East, saying, "They have the best roster in this division and it doesn't appear to be particularly close to me right now.

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I honestly expect a Colts style one year tank by BB.  Start garbage at QB and keep the play calling vanilla enough to not have much of a chance to win.  Finish last and get your QB. 

The Colts were a bad roster being propped up by an all time great QB in Manning. Once you removed Manning the team collapsed. They didn't have a good defense and their offensive components were all connected and made better by Manning. The Patriots however are much better coached and they have been carrying their QB the past two seasons with a great defense and rushing attack in 2018. 

I can't see the Pats winning less than 5 games. The defense is a top 10 if not 5 defense (remember in 2018 when a top 5-10 defense carried the Bills to 6 wins), the ST unit is very good, and their offensive line should be better having several players coming back from injury. On top of that they are well coached which is a huge advantage. I just don't see a complete collapse. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Colts were a bad roster being propped up by an all time great QB in Manning. Once you removed Manning the team collapsed. They didn't have a good defense and their offensive components were all connected and made better by Manning. The Patriots however are much better coached and they have been carrying their QB the past two seasons with a great defense and rushing attack in 2018. 

I can't see the Pats winning less than 5 games. The defense is a top 10 if not 5 defense (remember in 2018 when a top 5-10 defense carried the Bills to 6 wins), the ST unit is very good, and their offensive line should be better having several players coming back from injury. On top of that they are well coached which is a huge advantage. I just don't see a complete collapse. 

Completely disagree on the Colts.  They averaged just over 12 wins per season from 2002-2010.  They did not miss the playoffs once in that time. They won the Super Bowl after the 2006 season and lost it after the 2009.  Their worst record was 10-6 in 2002 and 2010.  Then in 2011 they plummeted to 2-14 with no real QB to speak of under center before bouncing back to three straight 11-5 seasons behind Luck.  2-14 was on the QB position.  The Colts big mistake was canning the people that they had such success with.  The team eroded under the new god awful FO that didn’t bring in any talent to replace what was leaving.  Then it was just Luck keeping the team afloat - until that terrible OL ruined him.

Do you think Belichick wouldn’t take one crappy season to get his QB and a chance at glory again?  It would be the exact kind of cold, calculating move he’s been so good at making his whole career.   I will be very surprised if he does not go that route. 

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Completely disagree on the Colts.  They averaged just over 12 wins per season from 2002-2010.  They did not miss the playoffs once in that time. They won the Super Bowl after the 2006 season and lost it after the 2009.  Their worst record was 10-6 in 2002 and 2010.  Then in 2011 they plummeted to 2-14 with no real QB to speak of under center before bouncing back to three straight 11-5 seasons behind Luck.  2-14 was on the QB position.  The Colts big mistake was canning the people that they had such success with.  The team eroded under the new god awful FO that didn’t bring in any talent to replace what was leaving.  Then it was just Luck keeping the team afloat - until that terrible OL ruined him.

Do you think Belichick wouldn’t take one crappy season to get his QB and a chance at glory again?  It would be the exact kind of cold, calculating move he’s been so good at making his whole career.   I will be very surprised if he does not go that route. 

The Colts in 2010 were dependent on having a great offense built around Manning. Their defense had eroded and their offense was propped up by Manning. Take away Manning and that offense collapses and they have nothing. The Patriots have great coaching, a very strong defense and special teams. The Colts had none of those things. They had a great QB and some pieces on offense. Take away the QB and the offensive pieces are less effective. Take away the QB from the Pats they still have the coaching, defense and special teams. 

Are the Patriots worse than the 2018 Bills? The Bills had a horrid offense but a quality defense and well coached team scratched out 6 wins. 

54 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Colts in 2010 were dependent on having a great offense built around Manning. Their defense had eroded and their offense was propped up by Manning. Take away Manning and that offense collapses and they have nothing. The Patriots have great coaching, a very strong defense and special teams. The Colts had none of those things. They had a great QB and some pieces on offense. Take away the QB and the offensive pieces are less effective. Take away the QB from the Pats they still have the coaching, defense and special teams. 

Are the Patriots worse than the 2018 Bills? The Bills had a horrid offense but a quality defense and well coached team scratched out 6 wins. 

If the Colts were that bare of talent, then no rookie - not even Luck - comes in and takes them from 2-14 to 11-5 three straight seasons.  But let’s just agree to disagree on that Colts team and get on with the Pats.

I am not arguing that Belichick couldn’t eek out 6-8 wins with the current team, I’m arguing that he won’t by design.  I think it is likely that he sandbags to get his QB.  I’m not saying he’d have players throw games or anything.  I don’t think he’d do that.  I’m talking more about him keeping things very vanilla and not digging into his bag or tricks.  I’ve watched him in games against teams the Pats were clearly better than and he did exactly that.  He just didn’t want to show anything to future opponents and the Pats still won.  Why wouldn’t he do that this season to get his QB and have a chance to win it all again.  I don’t think he’s sticking around to go 6-10 or 8-8 or even just make the playoffs.  If he wants to do that there were a couple QBs available that could’ve gotten him there. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree. If you don’t see that it’s because you don’t want to. 

With that being said that schedule is difficult for the whole division. Miami is the only team that gets somewhat of a breather. The division was 34-30 last year. They won’t be this year.

Yeah. The belief that SOS projections are substantively meaningless MUST also be logically paired with the belief that it is impossible to project - beyond random chance - any single team’s performance (since SOS is just a composite of 10 individual team performances). There’s a contradiction in “We have no idea how good the Bills opponents will be this year, but this is how good, give or take, I think the Bills will be this year, and here’s my evidence why...”.

Edited by Ecmic82

4 hours ago, yungmack said:

I think some of you are underestimating the Jets. I think they are going to be the Bills main competition if Darnold stays healthy.

I think a lot of fans are underestimating a lot of teams.  It wasn’t like we were smoking teams last year and it was a joke schedule.  This team is better but there’s still a lot to prove. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Either way you slice it there is no way the schedule will be as easy as last season. That was a historic cake walk of a schedule.

We played a qb named ? 

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What bothers me is how nervous I still feel

about this team!  When the Bills were a perennial playoff team, I never had these jitters about whether they would deliver a 12+ win season.

i think we can win 12 games, yet I still remain nervous about the team and fears still lurk in my head. 

Anyone else feel the same way? 

I think they are going to win 9 games and still be better than last years team. 

8 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

According to Vegas it’s not clear cut as the Bills are Co-Favorties with the Pats. 

Ah, but it is to me, and I was giving my opinion.

Vegas is about money going on, and not about a rational assessment of where teams stand necessarily.

A basic look to begin with, which probably goes along the lines of both teams made the playoffs. Bills mostly the same roster where it matters. Cheaters now without Brady.

Tbh, the assumption that Stidham, or whatever his name is, will come in after 1 season as a backup, and get the Cheats to 9 wins, seems very optimistic. If Hoyer was supposed to be starting, then I might be able to see it, as he does have more familiarity with their system, and is a relatively known quantity, as a respectable backup.

But to summarize, we should be the favorites on paper.  But if you’re a non-Bills fan, it probably hard to believe that (though so many people hate the Pats).  

I do think watching the Jordan documentary is interesting because the year after he retired, and everyone thought they were going to be trash, they went 55-27.

5 hours ago, yungmack said:

I think some of you are underestimating the Jets. I think they are going to be the Bills main competition if Darnold stays healthy.

Really? They barely beat our backups even with Darnold healthy and I would argue their roster is even worse now than it was then. I think they have the worst receiving corps in the league and their offensive line might be a little better but still bad. If they end up trading Jamal Adams as it's been rumored their secondary will be a lot worse too. I don't see any hope for them. Miami might be a better team.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think a lot of fans are underestimating a lot of teams.  It wasn’t like we were smoking teams last year and it was a joke schedule.  This team is better but there’s still a lot to prove. 

We played a qb named ? 

I think they are going to win 9 games and still be better than last years team. 

You’re just really all about downplaying last years team to the fullest. I find it really odd. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

If the Colts were that bare of talent, then no rookie - not even Luck - comes in and takes them from 2-14 to 11-5 three straight seasons.  But let’s just agree to disagree on that Colts team and get on with the Pats.

I am not arguing that Belichick couldn’t eek out 6-8 wins with the current team, I’m arguing that he won’t by design.  I think it is likely that he sandbags to get his QB.  I’m not saying he’d have players throw games or anything.  I don’t think he’d do that.  I’m talking more about him keeping things very vanilla and not digging into his bag or tricks.  I’ve watched him in games against teams the Pats were clearly better than and he did exactly that.  He just didn’t want to show anything to future opponents and the Pats still won.  Why wouldn’t he do that this season to get his QB and have a chance to win it all again.  I don’t think he’s sticking around to go 6-10 or 8-8 or even just make the playoffs.  If he wants to do that there were a couple QBs available that could’ve gotten him there. 

I just don't see Billy B with a quality defense, competent O-line, and good special teams unit not getting to 6-8 wins. Their RB duo is solid and their receivers aren't as tragic as people make them out to be. Their biggest question is the QB and who he throws to. But I can easily see the Pats just asking their QB to game manage and take what the defense gives him and getting a few wins by not making mistakes and playing tight defense. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Screw the national media!!!

Oh wait....what page is everyone on?  Has the script gone to re-write??

The usual suspects of "we don't get any respect" and "everyone is out to get the Bills" are conspicuously absent from this thread.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The usual suspects of "we don't get any respect" and "everyone is out to get the Bills" are conspicuously absent from this thread.

They are trying to figure out if this is all some kind of reverse psychology "bulletin board material" put out by "GMFB".

I await their further instructions!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

that’s why it bugs me, HUDs...we are always going to be 3 and whatever against him (29 losses?).  I would have loved to have seen them sweep him this year.

We’ll get our revenge on the Pats...but not on Brady...darn it.

Per usual you roll a strike—Brady out the door deprives us one last time of winning closure, such that Belichick’s inevitable regression to the mean won’t be quite as sweet...contrast that with Don Shula (RIP), who kept the gentlemanly stiff upper lip whilst taking it on the chin in the 90’s, after he first owned the Bills in the 70’s...now we can all remember him fondly as a result :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1