TV Characters you couldn't stand

On 5/6/2020 at 7:54 AM, 4merper4mer said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Allison Janney in The West Wing.  I've never heard of her or seen the show but she was just featured in the Name This Person thread and looks annoying.

You take that back!!! Allison Janet is a national treasure. Except for the feature episode on TWW when she goes back to Dayton, OH, for her class reunion with her speech supposed to be titled “The Promise of a Generation” (take a drink every time that’s said in the ep). I really chalk that up to really bad writing.

——

I would say that mine is the blonde one from Desperate Housewives. I watched the first season. I hated the character and I really loathe the actress (who has recently been involved in the college admissions scandals). Everything I’ve seen her in, I hate her character as she just plays controlling, manipulative, snarky b————.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, PastaJoe said:

BJ Hunnicutt and Charles Winchester on MASH.

BJ’s character progression was a bit weird, coming in as a fresh-faced, clean-cut, optimistic replacement for Trapper. He transitions to a guy with too similar qualities to Hawkeye... only with a nuclear family back home including the trope of a daughter he’s never seen and frustrations resulting.

• Like (+1) 1

I couldn’t stand the character of Wendy Byrd’s brother on this season of Ozark....basically everything he said or did was complete stupidity.

I understand the purpose of his character this season, but he could have been portrayed in a less annoying manner with the same effect.

18 hours ago, UConn James said:

BJ’s character progression was a bit weird, coming in as a fresh-faced, clean-cut, optimistic replacement for Trapper. He transitions to a guy with too similar qualities to Hawkeye... only with a nuclear family back home including the trope of a daughter he’s never seen and frustrations resulting.

They needed a sidekick to support the entire shift of the show away from being a comedy to instead being about Alda and his moralizing.  

• Like (+1) 1

Roseanne Barr (Conner).

The show was incredible despite her being a horrible actress, completely unfunny and a disgusting pig.

The reboot without her is fantastic.  Now I no longer have to work around her garbage.  Much better show without her.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:46 PM, KD in CA said:

If we're talking just pointlessly annoying characters (eg., LAMP performers like Roseanne or Murphy Brown), I just never watched the show.

In terms of great characters that were infuriating or maddening, Livia Soprano would be the GOAT in that category.

Glad you put it that way as Nancy Marchand was born in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Roseanne Barr (Conner).

The show was incredible despite her being a horrible actress, completely unfunny and a disgusting pig.

The reboot without her is fantastic.  Now I no longer have to work around her garbage.  Much better show without her.

Most comedians don't have what it takes to carry a television show in terms of performance.  I love Jerry Seinfeld but he had no acting ability.  Good thing that the producers let Jerry be Jerry.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Glad you put it that way as Nancy Marchand was born in Buffalo.

Most comedians don't have what it takes to carry a television show in terms of performance.  I love Jerry Seinfeld but he had no acting ability.  Good thing that the producers let Jerry be Jerry.

Roseanne isn't even a good comedienne.  She's never been funny to me.  I've never laughed at anything she's said or done.  She's repulsive in every way imaginable.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, PastaJoe said:

BJ Hunnicutt and Charles Winchester on MASH.

BJ I could not stand whatsoever.  By the way was the name BJ an inside joke amongst the producers as to Hunnicutt's role relative to Pierce.  I did not mind Winchester as Burns was played out but Winchester got to be rather pointless after his first season.  The excess envy by Potter and others towards Charles was simply too much.

On 5/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Phoebe -Friends 

House - House 

Janice - Sopranos

Chuck - Breaking Bad 

Everyone on Big Bang Theory.  

Yep.  After the parade of grumpy doctors including Dr McCoy, Dr Pierce, Dr Craig (St Elsewhere), etc. the concept kind of burned out.

I could name so many they would be able to fill the old LA Coliseum but I will limit it to several.

Goober Pyle.

Chief O'Hara.

Any of the women on One Day at a Time other than Val Bertinelli.

Schneider from One Day at a Time.  

Danny Partidge.

Chief Daniels from Hill Street Blues.

Brian Bonsall's Andy from Family Ties. 

The mother of the Nanny.

Edited by RochesterRob

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Roseanne isn't even a good comedienne.  She's never been funny to me.  I've never laughed at anything she's said or done.  She's repulsive in every way imaginable.

She was good when she started, and the first couple of years of her show where they gave a more realistic view of the struggles of family life. But then she got full of herself and went off the tracks.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Reece Witherspoon in anything.   

I liked her in Peasantville.

• Like (+1) 2

Ritchie on the Dick van ***** show

Tabitha on Bewitched

Fred Mertz on I Love Lucy
Ross on Friends

Bobby Flay on Iron Chef 

Goss’ Garage on Motorweek
Ant on Wheeler Dealers (Edd was better)

Any token women other than Heather on Garage Squad

I was never really a big Winnie Cooper fan from The Wonder Years.  I always thought during the course of the series she just played mind games with Kevin.   Kevin could be a jerk at times but more often then not he had his heart broken by her during the course of the series.

Somewhere in the middle of the series a tall beautiful French girl Madeline liked Kevin and even kissed him in front of everyone.   I always thought he was silly for being so hung up on Winnie 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Ritchie on the Dick van ***** show

Tabitha on Bewitched

Fred Mertz on I Love Lucy
Ross on Friends

Bobby Flay on Iron Chef 

Goss’ Garage on Motorweek
Ant on Wheeler Dealers (Edd was better)

Any token women other than Heather on Garage Squad

None of the characters on Friends appealed to me but I found Chandler easily the most annoying.  Matthew Perry has very little range and this was evident by the other roles he did.  He even screwed up Oscar Madison on The Odd Couple reboot which was a role that did not require  much of an actor.

33 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

None of the characters on Friends appealed to me but I found Chandler easily the most annoying.  Matthew Perry has very little range and this was evident by the other roles he did.  He even screwed up Oscar Madison on The Odd Couple reboot which was a role that did not require  much of an actor.

I felt Ross was too whiny.  Chandler was a jerk.  I was never a big fan of the show, but I feel jerk is better than whiny. 

12 minutes ago, snafu said:

I disagree on that one. 

For me, I’d say Inspector Luger on Barney Miller. 

Fred Mertz seemed too old and angry to me.  It turns out that he was old and angry in real life.
I agree that I used to internally groan and scowl over Inspector Luger.