TV Characters you couldn't stand

3 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I felt Ross was too whiny.  Chandler was a jerk.  I was never a big fan of the show, but I feel jerk is better than whiny. 

I guess that I feel the opposite.  Whiny is not endearing but is harder to do for an actor and that is what I watch for.  To see an actor really stretch himself or herself.  Anybody can do snarky, grumpy, or mean to at least be passable in terms of performance.  I know that many do not like the show Gomer Pyle, USMC but the premise was set up perfectly for Frank Sutton as Sergeant Carter to go off on the title character frequently.  Pyle would have been drafted if he did not enlist and most boots are there because they are anything but geniuses.  The two characters because of circumstances have to be around each other.  For sure not a perfect show as Pyle would have been transferred to the motor pool in short order and the series had quite a number of poorly conceived episodes but here and there had some real gems.  The actors knew the fine line between believable and unbelievable and were able to straddle it most episodes.  For the reasons above this is where other shows fall down flat.  Given the temperaments Charles Winchester would have never stayed indefinitely at the 4077.  He would have asked for and been granted a transfer early on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

None of the characters on Friends appealed to me but I found Chandler easily the most annoying.  Matthew Perry has very little range and this was evident by the other roles he did.  He even screwed up Oscar Madison on The Odd Couple reboot which was a role that did not require  much of an actor.

One thing for sure about Friends is that several of the characters where good at coming to a point.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, The Jokeman said:

What was the purpose of Potsy? I mean I guess Richie had to have a best friend but at least Mouth was funny. 

I think he was patterned after the dork with glasses in American Graffiti. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, The Jokeman said:

Bernadette over Penny every damn day. 

In the photo from Maxim, but not on the Big Bang, IMO.

One thing for sure, the majority of television shows are not great, and going from three networks to hundreds of networks has not helped. But people, me included, will stare at mediocre product way too often. 

Quarantine is not drawing people closer. It is leaning them more towards a world resembling Fahrenheit 451.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2020 at 1:39 PM, PastaJoe said:

BJ Hunnicutt and Charles Winchester on MASH.

I love M*A*S*H and primarily all of the characters.

Although B.J. was nothing special, but I think Charles is a great character.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:01 PM, KD in CA said:

They needed a sidekick to support the entire shift of the show away from being a comedy to instead being about Alda and his moralizing.  

This is probably true, although they did keep the comedy going.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, RochesterRob said:

BJ I could not stand whatsoever.  By the way was the name BJ an inside joke amongst the producers as to Hunnicutt's role relative to Pierce.  I did not mind Winchester as Burns was played out but Winchester got to be rather pointless after his first season.  The excess envy by Potter and others towards Charles was simply too much.

What I like mostly about Charles is that he isn't a Frank Burns clone.  More importantly is that unlike Frank, Charles wasn't going to take any crap from Hawkeye & B.J.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, Gray Beard said:

Ritchie on the Dick van ***** show

Really? 

If I were to pick someone from that show I couldn't stand it would be Alan Brady. That guy is a real prick.

12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Really? 

If I were to pick someone from that show I couldn't stand it would be Alan Brady. That guy is a real prick.

I was always annoyed when Ritchie was on the show. Same with Tabitha on Bewitched. Even though I was young, I felt that having kids on these shows detracted from the humor.  The adults were funny, the kids were annoying. Alan Brady was a prick, but he usually ended up looking like a fool as the episode went along.  I thought it was funny.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, UConn James said:

You take that back!!! Allison Janet is a national treasure. Except for the feature episode on TWW when she goes back to Dayton, OH, for her class reunion with her speech supposed to be titled “The Promise of a Generation” (take a drink every time that’s said in the ep). I really chalk that up to really bad writing.

I think Allison Janney gets more credit than she deserves.

She was good in "I, Tonya", but did she really deserve an Oscar for that?

On 5/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, Mark Vader said:

We've talked about television shows and characters we loved, but which characters from any show that you enjoyed did you not like at all?

Not characters that you loved to hate, but characters that just annoyed the Hell out of you.

For me, I never cared for Diane from Cheers. I get that she was a part of the comedy duo with Sam, but she was so arrogant and stuck-up and Sam could do a whole lot better than her. She was not that appealing. I was glad when she left the show. 

But the show was never as funny once Diane was gone. Kristi Alley's character was awful...the show lost a lot.

Edited by Buftex
to add some text